MLB News: Orioles' Manny Machado Suspended Five Games for Bat Tossing Incident
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | June 11, 2014 11:47 AM EST
Apparently, if you toss the bat, not only you get tossed out of the game yourself, it's also a no-go for five games.
ESPN.com reports that Baltimore Orioles' All Star Manny Machado has suspended for five games by the Major League Baseball for intentionally throwing his baseball bat at the plate during their game against the Oakland Athletics last Sunday. Mechado plans to contest the penalty.
The bat throwing incident was triggered when Machado received and inside pitch from A's reliever Fernando Abad. Abad threw an apparent clear purpose pitch which prompted the Orioles' third baseman to toss his bat into the field of play. Both benches cleared and a decision to eject both Machado and Abad was reached by the officials. Abad only received a fine for his role in the altercation.
The incident is the second which involved the two players during the past days.
Last Friday night, Machado was also involved in an incident when he was tagged by the A's third basemen Josh Donaldson, which caused him to accidentally fall down. Machado interpreted the contact as unnecessary, slammed his helmet, and set off the first bench clearing incident involving the two teams.
Machado consistently displayed veteran like qualities during a remarkable all-star rookie campaign yet lately his poor play and demeanor is showing his age. The 21 year old slugger is struggling this season, hitting only .229/.283/.336 (71 OPS+).
The Orioles conducted a team meeting Monday to discuss the incident with their young stat. Machado reportedly took responsibility for his recent behavior and apologized to the team.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions