MLB News: Orioles' Manny Machado Suspended Five Games for Bat Tossing Incident
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | June 11, 2014 11:47 AM EST
Apparently, if you toss the bat, not only you get tossed out of the game yourself, it's also a no-go for five games.
ESPN.com reports that Baltimore Orioles' All Star Manny Machado has suspended for five games by the Major League Baseball for intentionally throwing his baseball bat at the plate during their game against the Oakland Athletics last Sunday. Mechado plans to contest the penalty.
The bat throwing incident was triggered when Machado received and inside pitch from A's reliever Fernando Abad. Abad threw an apparent clear purpose pitch which prompted the Orioles' third baseman to toss his bat into the field of play. Both benches cleared and a decision to eject both Machado and Abad was reached by the officials. Abad only received a fine for his role in the altercation.
The incident is the second which involved the two players during the past days.
Last Friday night, Machado was also involved in an incident when he was tagged by the A's third basemen Josh Donaldson, which caused him to accidentally fall down. Machado interpreted the contact as unnecessary, slammed his helmet, and set off the first bench clearing incident involving the two teams.
Machado consistently displayed veteran like qualities during a remarkable all-star rookie campaign yet lately his poor play and demeanor is showing his age. The 21 year old slugger is struggling this season, hitting only .229/.283/.336 (71 OPS+).
The Orioles conducted a team meeting Monday to discuss the incident with their young stat. Machado reportedly took responsibility for his recent behavior and apologized to the team.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Miranda Kerr Broke Her Silence: Not Pregnant With James Packard’s Baby [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Roger Federer Dedicates 80th Career Title For His Kids
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Satisfied Despite Coming Out with a Draw against Besiktas
- Manny Pacquiao To Gauge KO Power Against Chris Algieri
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Mehdi Benatia and Alex Song in the Mix as Wenger Looks to 'Strengthen Defensive Department'
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6