Vlade Divac: “I Flopped Because of Shaq”
By James Patrick Quizon | June 11, 2014 11:47 AM EST
Former NBA player and Euro legend Vlade Divac admitted that he flopped during his time in the league but deflected the blame to rival big man Shaquille O’Neal in an interview in a basketball camp in Italy on Wednesday.
During his prime, the 7-foot-1 Serbian was a known wily, multi-faceted big man—he can score on post-ups and jumpers, he can rebound and he can dish out the assists. Plus, he is also known as one of the best in drawing fouls—via flopping.
However, the 46-year-old admitted that the league has done a good job in implementing new rules to try to discourage, if not stop, the flops.
“Whenever you overdo something, it’s time to stop it,” Divac said via Pro Basketball Talk. “So I think it’s a great decision by the NBA. But everyone is saying that’s my rule; that’s not my rule. That’s Shaq’s rule. No, I started it because of Shaq, because they didn’t want to call fouls. So that’s not my rule, that’s Shaq’s rule.”
"Flops have no place in our game -they either fool referees into calling undeserved fouls or fool fans into thinking the referees missed a foul call," vice president of basketball operations Stu Jackson said in a statement when the flopping rules were announced in October of 2012..
Flopping could cost players a $5,000 fine on second violation up to a huge $30,000 on their fifth violation.
Good or bad acting, Divac delivered the goods during his 16-year-NBA career. H played for the Los Angeles Lakers from 1989 to 1996 before transferring to the Charlotte Hornets in the celebrated draft day exchange involving Kobe Bryant. He was part of the popular high-scoring, high-octane Sacramento Kings from 1999 to 2004.
Fair strategy or not, Divac’s “flopping” was understandable in a way as Shaq is known as the most dominant physical specimen in the history of the NBA. For the Serbian, using his head over his body was the wise thing to do as he won some battles against Shaq by flopping.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide