Employees Involved in Animal Cruelty Video from Largest Diary Farm in Canada Sacked, to Face Charges
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | June 11, 2014 11:39 AM EST
Eight employees from Chilliwack's Cattle Sales family farm, Canada's largest dairy farm, were sacked from their jobs after a video showing their cruelty to the farm animals erupted. They will likewise face appropriate charges.
BC SPCA got hold of the video from non-profit group Mercy for Animals (MFA) Canada. The undercover video showed the employees used chains, canes, rakes, their booted feet and their fists to viciously whip, punch, kick and beat the dairy cows, including downed and trapped cows who could not escape the abuse.
Marcie Moriarty, the BC SPCA's chief prevention and enforcement officer, said they have recommended Criminal Code charges against the eight employees identified in the video "for willfully causing unnecessary pain, suffering and injury to animals."
Lorie Chortyk, a community relations general manager, told the Chilliwack Times on Monday the video disturbed and sickened him.
"This wasn't pushing cows along. These are animals who are trapped being, kicked in the face, being viciously beaten and people laughing. There is nothing in this behaviour that would have been part of a normal farm operation."
Chilliwack Cattle Sales, which supplies milk to brands such as Saputo and Dairyland, owns more than 3,500 animals in the Fraser Valley community, located 100 kilometres east of Vancouver. Earlier, the company said it has suspended the involved employees. But on Monday night it was learned they have been sacked.
Jeff Kooyman, co-owner of the farm, said they were devastated by the allegations. "The guys were going crazy. I couldn't imagine how people could do that to animals," Kooyman said.
MFA came up with the video after it contacted an investigator and got the person hired on as an employee at Chilliwack Cattle Sales. The person worked at the farm from May 1 to 30. MFA contacted authorities to inform them of the undercover work.
"This factory farm was chosen completely randomly, which leads us to believe that cruelty and violence runs rampant in the dairy industry," Twyla Francois, MFA director of investigations, told the Chilliwack Times. "Before joining Mercy For Animals Canada, I conducted investigations into Canada's dairy industry and was horrified by what I saw-emaciated, sick, injured, and even animals unable to stand on their own, were routinely brought to livestock auctions in clear violation of the law. The livestock auction industry even had a term for these cows: C3, which stands for clunkers, canners and cripples."
Warning: The video (here) contains graphic footage.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- MH370 Search Efforts Not Affected by MH17 Recovery; Australia Still Committed to Solving Mystery
- Former Destiny’s Child Star Farrah Franklin Arrested
- Asylum Seeker Women in Australia-Run Christmas Island Attempt Suicide in Desperation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown