FIFA World Cup 2014 Predictions: Match #4 Chile vs. Australia
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | June 11, 2014 11:21 AM EST
Chile 3 Australia 1
Chile's President Michelle Bachelet (C) receives a national soccer team jersey from Chilean goalkeeper Claudio Bravo (L) and Alexis Sanchez (R) in Santiago June 3, 2014. Bachelet visited the Chilean national soccer team before they depart for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.
The fourth match of the FIFA World Cup 2014 is going to be held between Chile and Australia. While they are in Group B with European giants like Spain and the Netherlands fighting for the top spot on the table, there is hardly anyone who is expecting them to get past the group stages. Winning this match is critical for both these teams as it will leave a ray of hope left for them to upset the table.
Chile: Chile finished third from the South American Zone and has promising players who can take it forward. Chile won the last two pre-World Cup friendlies against Egypt (3-2) and Northern Ireland (2-0). However, it lost its earlier match against Germany (0-1). The best part was that it was able to defend so well that a highly attacking team like Germany could only score once. They have Argentinean coach Jorge Sampaoli who should bank a lot on Esteban Paredes, Fabián Orellana and Jorge Valdívia to score. Captain Claudio Bravo has to defend the net well. A big win against Australia will keep the possibility to go to the next round alive.
Australia: This is the third consecutive time that Australia is a part of the World Cup. The journey this time had its ups and down. With a new coach on board, the team is going through a transition phase. If Australia manages to get past the group stages, it will be a tremendous achievement for Ange Postecoglou's team. A lot will depend on the brilliance of Tim Cahill. The leading goal scorer of the country is still the most lethal weapon the team has. A lot will depend on how it manages to defend against Chile as well.
Head to Head
These two teams played against each other 4 times before. Chile won 3 and the other match ended in a draw. There were 7 goals scored, and Chile scored 6 of them.
Chile: Esteban Paredes, Claudio Bravo & Alexis Sanchez
Australia: Tim Cahill
Date, Time & Venue
Brazil's time zone is UTC/GMT -3. The match starts at 6 pm (local time) on June 13, which means it is 8 am on June 14 in New South Wales, Australia. The match will be held at Arena Pantanal in Cuiaba.
It will be difficult for Australia to defend against Chile which is a much stronger team on paper. Chile will in the match 2-1 and keep their hopes alive.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- UEFA Champions League Draw Result and Replay: Arsenal Joins Toughest Group, Cristiano Ronaldo Named Best Player In Europe [PHOTOS and VIDEO]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans