Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL) Post-split Sees Investors Piling In
By Athena Yenko | June 11, 2014 11:14 AM EST
Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL) is now trading at $92.69 as the NASDAQ Stock Market opens (9:30 a.m. Est), following the company's stock split on Friday.
The stock becomes more attractive and investors are piling in.
Out of the 21, 476 asked if they will buy Apple after Friday's 7-for-1-stock split, 50 per cent (10,699) said yes, 19 per cent (4,014) said no and 6,610 (31 per cent) said they already own the stock - this according to a recent poll from MarketWatch as reported by CNBC.
Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL) could become a favourite stock among mutual funds with preference to cheaper stocks, according to a note to investors from Avondale Partners analyst John Bright, obtained by Investors.com.
For ISI Group analyst Brian Marshall, the stock split made the stock cheaper for the retail or the individual investors.
"I think it'll be helpful because a lower stock will enable retail investors to buy more. Institutional investors probably aren't a fan of it because it will increase their commission costs," Marshall said.
The psychology of stock split is a time-tested strategy to entice more investors.
A study published by Dr David Ikenburry of Rice University saw that pre-split and post-split stock performances were inversely related as proven by data reflected from a split 2-1 done between 1975 and 1990, Leigh Drogen wrote. In the period taken, Ikenburry saw that the stock split outperformed the control group he created by 8 per cent in just a matter of one year with a significant 12 per cent increase after three years. Same result was seen in data from 1990-1997 and data in 2003.
Stock splits had always been to the advantage of smaller individual investors, Ikenburry's study suggested. An individual investor may not have the will to invest $600 for a single share of Apple but this same investor will be willing to invest $300-$400 on 4 shares post-split.
Apple stock may continue to perform impressively post-split. Comparing to similar splits in the past, mom and pop investors flocked to the stock following splits, Ikenburry's study suggested. More and more investors will cash in for the split stock as the split itself is a clear indication that the stocks' management has its own bullish sentiment.
Now that Apple's stock price is below $100, the company may soon be included in the Dow index, according to various reports.
"You drop below $100 and a price weighted index and they may even consider it. But what i will say on the dow, it is not automatic. It will not happen overnight. It could take 12 months. It could take 24 months," Bloomberg analyst Jonathan Ferro said.
But it will happen, the analyst suggested.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple CEO Tim Cook Coming Out Gay Defies Corporate Norm: Tech Execs Applaud Inspiring Essay
- Bombshell, Shocking And Wild Read: Jefferies & Co. Sage Kelly Forces Wife To Have Sex With Clients For A Deal
- Russia Succeeds Where US Fails: ISS NASA Antares Rocket Explosion Meant to Happen; Russia Successfully Launches Cargo Ship
- The Cost Of Getting Infected With Ebola
- Walmart Sells ‘Fat Girl Costumes’ for Halloween
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists