#Canadia and Top Ten of Tony Abbott’s Gaffes
By Athena Yenko | June 11, 2014 10:41 AM EST
Prime Minister Tony Abbott commits another political gaffe during his official tour in Canada. During a press conference in Ottawa, on Monday, he was asked about Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper's recent attack on Russian policy in Ukraine.
"They're very forthright remarks, and I think that they're perfectly appropriate remarks for the Canadian Prime Minister to make. Canadia, Canada, probably has more involvement in the affairs of Europe than Australia often does, but ...," Mr Abbott responded.
Canadia seemed contagious as Canada's very own Mr Harper committed the same blunder while welcoming Mr Abbott.
"So let me say on behalf of the government of Canadia... Canada," Mr Harper said.
Although Mr Abbott was quick to correct his mispronunciation of Canada, netizens were quick to pick up the blunder and #Canadia has since been trending in Twitter.
The incident opens the "Pandora's box" of all cringe-worthy political gaffes that Mr Abbott had amassed in his years in politics.
Here are the top ten of Mr Abbott's most embarrassing gaffes:
1. "S*** happens" - on death of Lance Corporal Jared MacKinney in Afghanistan.
2. "No one, however smart, however well educated, however experienced, is the suppository of all wisdom."
3. During a photo opportunity with a group of young netballers: "a bit of body contact never hurt anyone."
4. Comparing Liberal candidate Fiona Scott with former MP Jackie Kelly: "They're young, feisty, I think I can probably say have a bit of sex appeal, and they're just very connected with the local area."
Bonus cringe: His daughter Frances was standing to his right while he said this.
5. "If you wanna know who to vote for, I'm the guy with the not bad-looking daughters." - campaign pitch to Big Brother Australia housemates.
6. "What the housewives of Australia need to understand as they do the ironing is that if they get it done commercially it's going to go up in price, and their own power bills when they switch the iron on are going to go up."
7. Asked for the best advice he could give his three daughters about virginity in an interview with Australian Women's Weekly: ''I would say to my daughters, if they were to ask me this question ... it is the greatest gift you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly.''
8. "I think there does need to be give and take on both sides, and this idea that sex is kind of a woman's right to absolutely withhold, just as the idea that sex is a man's right to demand I think are both, they both need to be moderated, so to speak."
9. On Syrian crisis: 'It's not goodies versus baddies, it's baddies versus baddies'
10. On being asked about reversing his promise not to impose new taxes: "Sometimes in the heat of discussion you go a little bit further than you would if it was an absolutely calm, considered, prepared, scripted remark. The statements that need to be taken absolutely as gospel truth are those carefully prepared, scripted remarks."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- Ukraine Crisis: Putin Dangles Nuclear War Threat, US Senators Advise Sending Defensive Weapons
- James Foley Is A Spy – Jihadi Recruiter Reveals
- Kiwi Couple Sues Lawyers for Denial of Holiday Perk in Luxury Resort
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports