#Canadia and Top Ten of Tony Abbott’s Gaffes
By Athena Yenko | June 11, 2014 10:41 AM EST
Prime Minister Tony Abbott commits another political gaffe during his official tour in Canada. During a press conference in Ottawa, on Monday, he was asked about Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper's recent attack on Russian policy in Ukraine.
"They're very forthright remarks, and I think that they're perfectly appropriate remarks for the Canadian Prime Minister to make. Canadia, Canada, probably has more involvement in the affairs of Europe than Australia often does, but ...," Mr Abbott responded.
Canadia seemed contagious as Canada's very own Mr Harper committed the same blunder while welcoming Mr Abbott.
"So let me say on behalf of the government of Canadia... Canada," Mr Harper said.
Although Mr Abbott was quick to correct his mispronunciation of Canada, netizens were quick to pick up the blunder and #Canadia has since been trending in Twitter.
The incident opens the "Pandora's box" of all cringe-worthy political gaffes that Mr Abbott had amassed in his years in politics.
Here are the top ten of Mr Abbott's most embarrassing gaffes:
1. "S*** happens" - on death of Lance Corporal Jared MacKinney in Afghanistan.
2. "No one, however smart, however well educated, however experienced, is the suppository of all wisdom."
3. During a photo opportunity with a group of young netballers: "a bit of body contact never hurt anyone."
4. Comparing Liberal candidate Fiona Scott with former MP Jackie Kelly: "They're young, feisty, I think I can probably say have a bit of sex appeal, and they're just very connected with the local area."
Bonus cringe: His daughter Frances was standing to his right while he said this.
5. "If you wanna know who to vote for, I'm the guy with the not bad-looking daughters." - campaign pitch to Big Brother Australia housemates.
6. "What the housewives of Australia need to understand as they do the ironing is that if they get it done commercially it's going to go up in price, and their own power bills when they switch the iron on are going to go up."
7. Asked for the best advice he could give his three daughters about virginity in an interview with Australian Women's Weekly: ''I would say to my daughters, if they were to ask me this question ... it is the greatest gift you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly.''
8. "I think there does need to be give and take on both sides, and this idea that sex is kind of a woman's right to absolutely withhold, just as the idea that sex is a man's right to demand I think are both, they both need to be moderated, so to speak."
9. On Syrian crisis: 'It's not goodies versus baddies, it's baddies versus baddies'
10. On being asked about reversing his promise not to impose new taxes: "Sometimes in the heat of discussion you go a little bit further than you would if it was an absolutely calm, considered, prepared, scripted remark. The statements that need to be taken absolutely as gospel truth are those carefully prepared, scripted remarks."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- US-led Coalition Has Launched First Airstrike vs. ISIS in Syria – Pentagon
- G20 Summit in Nov: No Consensus to Bar Russia, Putin Open to Attend in Australia
- ISIS Used 'GTA 5' in Teen Recruitment Video, Violent Games Help Gain More Followers
- Chilling: Group Deadlier Than ISIS Had Risen
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Better Performing Display and Best Overall Screen
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4