FIFA World Cup 2014 Predictions: Match #2 Mexico vs. Cameroon
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | June 11, 2014 9:39 AM EST
Cameroon's Samuel Eto'o kicks the ball during a training session in the Austrian village of Walchsee May 23, 2014. Cameroon's national soccer team gathered for a training camp in Walchsee in preparation for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.
The second match of the FIFA World Cup 2014 is going to be held between Mexico and Cameroon. Both the North American and the African teams will definitely like to start the tournament with a win as it will give them an edge over the opponent to have the possibility of finishing in the top two spots in Group A. The first match of the tournament is always extremely important as it sets the tone for a team for the entire tournament.
Mexico: Mexico has had a difficult time recently. The national coach was changed twice in a period of 3 months. They almost lost the chance to qualify for the CONCACAF region. It lost its last two pre-world cup friendlies against Bosnia-Herzegovina (0-1) and Portugal (0-1). Giovani dos Santos and Oribe Peralta are expected to lead the attack. Peralta especially can be the key player for the team. Mexico, despite the weak form at present, can never be written off simply because of its previous world cup records. It has reached the quarter finals twice (in 1970 & 1986). It went past the group stages every time since 1994.
Cameroon: Cameroon managed to draw against Germany in the pre-world cup friendly. With a score line like 2-2 against one of the top teams in the world cup, the African biggie has much to boast of. It will depend a lot on its captain Samuel Eto'o who happens to be the best player. The Chelsea striker has already scored 9 times for his club in the 2013-14. He scored over 100 goals for Barcelona during his tenure with the Spanish club in 2004-2009. Midfielder Alexandre Song is another important player who can make a difference. Cameroon is basically an attacking team. Expect a high energy game with strong body tackles.
Head to Head
These two teams played against each only once before. Mexico won it. Only one goal was scored in the match.
Mexico: Raul Jimenez & Oribe Peralta
Cameroon: Samuel Eto'o & Alexandre Song
Date, Time & Venue
Brazil's time zone is UTC/GMT -3. The match starts at 1 pm (local time) on June 13, which means it is 2 am on June 14 in New South Wales, Australia. The match will be held at Estadio das Dunas in Natal.
Cameroon will start the match as a more powerful team on paper. Its strength will be seen on the field as well. Mexico will fall short of Cameroon's power and energy. The final score will be 2-0 in favour of the African team of players.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Floyd Sr Already Endorsing Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Fight After Anticipated Victory Over Maidana
- Manny Pacquiao To Gauge KO Power Against Chris Algieri
- Roger Federer Dedicates 80th Career Title For His Kids
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Mehdi Benatia and Alex Song in the Mix as Wenger Looks to 'Strengthen Defensive Department'
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE Android 4.4.2, Android 4.4.4Guide: Installation and When to Hit Your Region
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch