FIFA World Cup 2014 Predictions: Match #2 Mexico vs. Cameroon
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | June 11, 2014 9:39 AM EST
Cameroon's Samuel Eto'o kicks the ball during a training session in the Austrian village of Walchsee May 23, 2014. Cameroon's national soccer team gathered for a training camp in Walchsee in preparation for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.
The second match of the FIFA World Cup 2014 is going to be held between Mexico and Cameroon. Both the North American and the African teams will definitely like to start the tournament with a win as it will give them an edge over the opponent to have the possibility of finishing in the top two spots in Group A. The first match of the tournament is always extremely important as it sets the tone for a team for the entire tournament.
Mexico: Mexico has had a difficult time recently. The national coach was changed twice in a period of 3 months. They almost lost the chance to qualify for the CONCACAF region. It lost its last two pre-world cup friendlies against Bosnia-Herzegovina (0-1) and Portugal (0-1). Giovani dos Santos and Oribe Peralta are expected to lead the attack. Peralta especially can be the key player for the team. Mexico, despite the weak form at present, can never be written off simply because of its previous world cup records. It has reached the quarter finals twice (in 1970 & 1986). It went past the group stages every time since 1994.
Cameroon: Cameroon managed to draw against Germany in the pre-world cup friendly. With a score line like 2-2 against one of the top teams in the world cup, the African biggie has much to boast of. It will depend a lot on its captain Samuel Eto'o who happens to be the best player. The Chelsea striker has already scored 9 times for his club in the 2013-14. He scored over 100 goals for Barcelona during his tenure with the Spanish club in 2004-2009. Midfielder Alexandre Song is another important player who can make a difference. Cameroon is basically an attacking team. Expect a high energy game with strong body tackles.
Head to Head
These two teams played against each only once before. Mexico won it. Only one goal was scored in the match.
Mexico: Raul Jimenez & Oribe Peralta
Cameroon: Samuel Eto'o & Alexandre Song
Date, Time & Venue
Brazil's time zone is UTC/GMT -3. The match starts at 1 pm (local time) on June 13, which means it is 2 am on June 14 in New South Wales, Australia. The match will be held at Estadio das Dunas in Natal.
Cameroon will start the match as a more powerful team on paper. Its strength will be seen on the field as well. Mexico will fall short of Cameroon's power and energy. The final score will be 2-0 in favour of the African team of players.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’