FIFA World Cup 2014 Predictions: Match #2 Mexico vs. Cameroon
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | June 11, 2014 9:39 AM EST
Cameroon's Samuel Eto'o kicks the ball during a training session in the Austrian village of Walchsee May 23, 2014. Cameroon's national soccer team gathered for a training camp in Walchsee in preparation for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.
The second match of the FIFA World Cup 2014 is going to be held between Mexico and Cameroon. Both the North American and the African teams will definitely like to start the tournament with a win as it will give them an edge over the opponent to have the possibility of finishing in the top two spots in Group A. The first match of the tournament is always extremely important as it sets the tone for a team for the entire tournament.
Mexico: Mexico has had a difficult time recently. The national coach was changed twice in a period of 3 months. They almost lost the chance to qualify for the CONCACAF region. It lost its last two pre-world cup friendlies against Bosnia-Herzegovina (0-1) and Portugal (0-1). Giovani dos Santos and Oribe Peralta are expected to lead the attack. Peralta especially can be the key player for the team. Mexico, despite the weak form at present, can never be written off simply because of its previous world cup records. It has reached the quarter finals twice (in 1970 & 1986). It went past the group stages every time since 1994.
Cameroon: Cameroon managed to draw against Germany in the pre-world cup friendly. With a score line like 2-2 against one of the top teams in the world cup, the African biggie has much to boast of. It will depend a lot on its captain Samuel Eto'o who happens to be the best player. The Chelsea striker has already scored 9 times for his club in the 2013-14. He scored over 100 goals for Barcelona during his tenure with the Spanish club in 2004-2009. Midfielder Alexandre Song is another important player who can make a difference. Cameroon is basically an attacking team. Expect a high energy game with strong body tackles.
Head to Head
These two teams played against each only once before. Mexico won it. Only one goal was scored in the match.
Mexico: Raul Jimenez & Oribe Peralta
Cameroon: Samuel Eto'o & Alexandre Song
Date, Time & Venue
Brazil's time zone is UTC/GMT -3. The match starts at 1 pm (local time) on June 13, which means it is 2 am on June 14 in New South Wales, Australia. The match will be held at Estadio das Dunas in Natal.
Cameroon will start the match as a more powerful team on paper. Its strength will be seen on the field as well. Mexico will fall short of Cameroon's power and energy. The final score will be 2-0 in favour of the African team of players.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales