Woolworths Ditches Microsoft Windows Desktop Computers, Shifts to 8,000 Google Chrome OS Devices
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 11, 2014 8:40 AM EST
Australian grocery giant Woolworths is about to make technology history by ditching all of its Microsoft Windows desktop computers and switching to Google Chrome OS devices. By ordering 8,000 units, Woolies is making possibly the biggest deployment of Google Chrome OS gadgets globally.
Deon Ludick, Woolworths programme director, said the rollout of the 8,000 devices would begin by mid-2015. The orders were reportedly placed with several providers.
Gunnar Berger, research director of Gartner, cited the extremely secure Chrome OS as one of the biggest advantage in switching from Microsoft because of its ongoing competition which pays big rewards for people who could hack the gadget through the browser.
He stressed, "It's a compelling solution for an organisation that may be aggressively moving off of Windows," noting that eight of the top 10 original equipment manufacturers in the world, including Asus and Samsung, are dishing out Chrome OS devices.
A Woolworths spokesman added, "Overall the program will replace a legacy Microsoft Email platform with Google mail, introduce richer collaboration features and replace a legacy Windows XP desktop with a far superior web based desktop delivery method using Citrix."
Google said that 5 million other businesses have made the big switch to Chrome OS devices such as Kogan, AAPT, Dick Smith and Flight Centre.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage