Nelly, the Elephant, Is New Oracle of 2014 World Cup; Predicts U.S. Team Will Win Over Germany
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 11, 2014 8:31 AM EST
Paul, the Octopus, has passed on his oracle hat to Nelly, the Elephant. The pachyderm is noted for her accurate prediction of the results of the 2010 World Cup in South Africa Euro 2012 and the Champions League final of 2013.
Nelly the Elephant picks the winner by kicking a soccer ball into one of two goals that are marked with the flags of the competing countries.
The animal is based at the Hanover's Serengeti Park, a wildlife park in Germany. But Germans may not be pleased with her prediction that Germany would lose to Team USA even if the latter has a 100-1 odds of winning, according to Time.
Nelly's record is 30 for 33 in picks for the 2006 Women's World Cup, the 2010 World Cup and Euro 2012, while Paul the Octopus was 11 for 14 during the 2010 World Cup and Euro 2008.
Meanwhile, here are some human predictions for the World Cup that opens on Thursday, June 12.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report