Nelly, the Elephant, Is New Oracle of 2014 World Cup; Predicts U.S. Team Will Win Over Germany
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 11, 2014 8:31 AM EST
Paul, the Octopus, has passed on his oracle hat to Nelly, the Elephant. The pachyderm is noted for her accurate prediction of the results of the 2010 World Cup in South Africa Euro 2012 and the Champions League final of 2013.
Nelly the Elephant picks the winner by kicking a soccer ball into one of two goals that are marked with the flags of the competing countries.
The animal is based at the Hanover's Serengeti Park, a wildlife park in Germany. But Germans may not be pleased with her prediction that Germany would lose to Team USA even if the latter has a 100-1 odds of winning, according to Time.
Nelly's record is 30 for 33 in picks for the 2006 Women's World Cup, the 2010 World Cup and Euro 2012, while Paul the Octopus was 11 for 14 during the 2010 World Cup and Euro 2008.
Meanwhile, here are some human predictions for the World Cup that opens on Thursday, June 12.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid