Nelly, the Elephant, Is New Oracle of 2014 World Cup; Predicts U.S. Team Will Win Over Germany
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 11, 2014 8:31 AM EST
Paul, the Octopus, has passed on his oracle hat to Nelly, the Elephant. The pachyderm is noted for her accurate prediction of the results of the 2010 World Cup in South Africa Euro 2012 and the Champions League final of 2013.
Nelly the Elephant picks the winner by kicking a soccer ball into one of two goals that are marked with the flags of the competing countries.
The animal is based at the Hanover's Serengeti Park, a wildlife park in Germany. But Germans may not be pleased with her prediction that Germany would lose to Team USA even if the latter has a 100-1 odds of winning, according to Time.
Nelly's record is 30 for 33 in picks for the 2006 Women's World Cup, the 2010 World Cup and Euro 2012, while Paul the Octopus was 11 for 14 during the 2010 World Cup and Euro 2008.
Meanwhile, here are some human predictions for the World Cup that opens on Thursday, June 12.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Satisfied Despite Coming Out with a Draw against Besiktas
- Serena Williams and Rumoured Boyfriend Patrick Mouratoglou Spotted on a Date in NYC
- UFC President Dana White Says He is Very Excited for Anderson Silva’s Comeback in January
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Claims that Fabregas will Play Best Football Under Him
- 10 Celebrities Who Took The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge: Justin Bieber, Selena Gomez, Chris Pratt & LeBron James [VIDEOS]
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features