Boxing News 2014: UAE Royal Family Gives Green Light for Prince Amir Shafipour to Hold Talks for Possible Pacquiao-Mayweather Bout in Dubai in 2015
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 11, 2014 8:13 AM EST
While Floyd Mayweather Jr has flatly rejected fighting Manny Pacquiao at all, the royal family of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) has not given up on the Dream Match between the two contenders for the pound-for-pound king title.
In fact, the president and royal family of UAE, Khalifa Bin Zayed AL Nahyan, gave the go ahead signal for Prince Amir Shafipour, the emirate's boxing promoter, to conduct talks for the possible holding of the much-anticipated 2015 bout in Dubai, reports ABS-CBN.
The prince, who represents Golden Cage Events and Promotions, was told to coordinate with an unnamed major boxing promoter in the U.S. said to have connections with the two camps.
The push for the dream match is part of the UAE president's vision to make the capital city the premier entertainment and tourism destination beyond the Middle East but internationally.
Prince Amir said there would likely be no problem with the purse or dealing with Bob Arum of Top Rank Promotions, which handles the fights of Pacquiao. He admitted Mayweather would be more difficult to deal with because of Money May's dislike for Arum.
Ahead of the Dream Match, UAE - which recently staged the Global Fighting Championships in Dubai - is conducting a financial study, reviewing pay-per-view and other TV rights for the Pacquiao-Mayweather bout.
Prince Amir will leave for the U.S. in the next two to three weeks to finalise the negotiations for the bout.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Rafael Nadal Crowned as Most Popular Personality in Spain
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales