Boxing News 2014: UAE Royal Family Gives Green Light for Prince Amir Shafipour to Hold Talks for Possible Pacquiao-Mayweather Bout in Dubai in 2015
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 11, 2014 8:13 AM EST
While Floyd Mayweather Jr has flatly rejected fighting Manny Pacquiao at all, the royal family of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) has not given up on the Dream Match between the two contenders for the pound-for-pound king title.
In fact, the president and royal family of UAE, Khalifa Bin Zayed AL Nahyan, gave the go ahead signal for Prince Amir Shafipour, the emirate's boxing promoter, to conduct talks for the possible holding of the much-anticipated 2015 bout in Dubai, reports ABS-CBN.
The prince, who represents Golden Cage Events and Promotions, was told to coordinate with an unnamed major boxing promoter in the U.S. said to have connections with the two camps.
The push for the dream match is part of the UAE president's vision to make the capital city the premier entertainment and tourism destination beyond the Middle East but internationally.
Prince Amir said there would likely be no problem with the purse or dealing with Bob Arum of Top Rank Promotions, which handles the fights of Pacquiao. He admitted Mayweather would be more difficult to deal with because of Money May's dislike for Arum.
Ahead of the Dream Match, UAE - which recently staged the Global Fighting Championships in Dubai - is conducting a financial study, reviewing pay-per-view and other TV rights for the Pacquiao-Mayweather bout.
Prince Amir will leave for the U.S. in the next two to three weeks to finalise the negotiations for the bout.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’