Boxing News 2014: UAE Royal Family Gives Green Light for Prince Amir Shafipour to Hold Talks for Possible Pacquiao-Mayweather Bout in Dubai in 2015
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 11, 2014 8:13 AM EST
While Floyd Mayweather Jr has flatly rejected fighting Manny Pacquiao at all, the royal family of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) has not given up on the Dream Match between the two contenders for the pound-for-pound king title.
In fact, the president and royal family of UAE, Khalifa Bin Zayed AL Nahyan, gave the go ahead signal for Prince Amir Shafipour, the emirate's boxing promoter, to conduct talks for the possible holding of the much-anticipated 2015 bout in Dubai, reports ABS-CBN.
The prince, who represents Golden Cage Events and Promotions, was told to coordinate with an unnamed major boxing promoter in the U.S. said to have connections with the two camps.
The push for the dream match is part of the UAE president's vision to make the capital city the premier entertainment and tourism destination beyond the Middle East but internationally.
Prince Amir said there would likely be no problem with the purse or dealing with Bob Arum of Top Rank Promotions, which handles the fights of Pacquiao. He admitted Mayweather would be more difficult to deal with because of Money May's dislike for Arum.
Ahead of the Dream Match, UAE - which recently staged the Global Fighting Championships in Dubai - is conducting a financial study, reviewing pay-per-view and other TV rights for the Pacquiao-Mayweather bout.
Prince Amir will leave for the U.S. in the next two to three weeks to finalise the negotiations for the bout.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- Muslim NFL Player Husain Abdullah Penalised For Praying After Touchdown
- Ronda Rousey Puts Up Her Belongings For Auction
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build