Boxing News 2014: UAE Royal Family Gives Green Light for Prince Amir Shafipour to Hold Talks for Possible Pacquiao-Mayweather Bout in Dubai in 2015
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 11, 2014 8:13 AM EST
While Floyd Mayweather Jr has flatly rejected fighting Manny Pacquiao at all, the royal family of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) has not given up on the Dream Match between the two contenders for the pound-for-pound king title.
In fact, the president and royal family of UAE, Khalifa Bin Zayed AL Nahyan, gave the go ahead signal for Prince Amir Shafipour, the emirate's boxing promoter, to conduct talks for the possible holding of the much-anticipated 2015 bout in Dubai, reports ABS-CBN.
The prince, who represents Golden Cage Events and Promotions, was told to coordinate with an unnamed major boxing promoter in the U.S. said to have connections with the two camps.
The push for the dream match is part of the UAE president's vision to make the capital city the premier entertainment and tourism destination beyond the Middle East but internationally.
Prince Amir said there would likely be no problem with the purse or dealing with Bob Arum of Top Rank Promotions, which handles the fights of Pacquiao. He admitted Mayweather would be more difficult to deal with because of Money May's dislike for Arum.
Ahead of the Dream Match, UAE - which recently staged the Global Fighting Championships in Dubai - is conducting a financial study, reviewing pay-per-view and other TV rights for the Pacquiao-Mayweather bout.
Prince Amir will leave for the U.S. in the next two to three weeks to finalise the negotiations for the bout.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues