Boxing News 2014: Freddie Roach & Bob Arum Say Cotto Could Beat Mayweather in a Rematch
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 11, 2014 8:04 AM EST
The word war between the Mayweather and Pacquiao camps continue, riding on the fresh victory of Miguel Cotto against Sergio Martinez on Saturday night.
In the middle of last week, Floyd Mayweather Sr, one of the three trainers for the newly launched boxing reality show Knockout, called himself the world's greatest boxing trainer and belittled Freddie Roach, the coach of Filipino boxer Manny Pacquiao, for getting all the Coach of the Year awards only because the awarding organisations allegedly pity Roach's medical condition.
On Sunday, it was the turn of Team Pacquiao to diss at the Mayweathers. Roach, who is also the coach of Cotto, said that Miguel is one of his best protégés as proven by his victory against Martinez who was "reckless in his attacks" and only tried to use his speed during the Saturday bout.
Roach added that based on what Cotto showed, the latter could beat even Floyd Mayweather Jr, reports The Epoch Times, even if Mayweather won over Cotto in 2012 in Las Vegas through a decision.
He said that at 37, Money May is past a boxer's prime and is a shot fighter.
Meanwhile, Bob Arum, boss of Top Rank Promotions, pointed out that "He's (Mayweather) afraid to fight Manny. You think he's fight Cotto?"
Echoing what Roach said, Arum opined, "If Cotto, with Freddie Roach, fought Mayweather again it would be no contest ... Mayweather wouldn't have a ef**n chance."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin on Kobe Bryant’s Text: He’s 100 Percent Accurate
- Roger Federer Brings Danger To Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal at US Open
- Serena Williams Makes History; Among Most Dominant World's No.1 in History
- Rafael Nadal Blows Out Novak Djokovic as Top Contender For US Open Series – Tennis TV Poll
- Eugenie Bouchard To Conquer Next Era After Maria Sharapova, Serena Williams
- Google Nexus 6 Speculations Now Include Price: Five Fresh Features to Unpack on New Android Smart Phone in October/November Release Date
- Apple's iPhone 6 vs. Xiaomi Mi 4: Specifications, Features and Prices
- Fresh Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Images Leaked: 4.8-Inch Metallic Body Could Give Competition to 4.7-Inch iPhone 6
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- A Florida Widow Wins $23.6 Billion Lawsuit Against Tobacco Company
- OnePlus One Android 4.4.4 KitKat and Android L Update Guide