NBA News: Cleveland Cavaliers Tendered John Calipari Lucrative Deal
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | June 10, 2014 5:02 PM EST
The Cleveland Cavaliers are not just getting luck into convincing potential hires to turn around the team.
Before agreeing to remain with the University of Kentucky last week, NBA sources report that the Cleveland Cavaliers and John Calipari were deep into negotiations that would have installed the college mentor as both head coach and team president of the Cavaliers for a minimum of ten years.
Dan Gilbert, Cavaliers owner had been persistent in his goal to install Calipari with full control of basketball operations, with sources saying that an offered salary of almost $80 million dollars was turned down by Calipari. ESPN.com also says that part of Cleveland's drive to chase the coach was to enhance its chances of luring back LeBron James to return to the team that drafted him.
All of the Cavalier's effort went for naught when Calipari finally rejected the offer and chose to fully commit to a seven-year extension at Kentucky.
The Cavaliers' offer was as lucrative as they come for coaches with personnel decision in the organization. The kind of arrangement has been typical in the previous years when team tried to lure veteran and successful coaches such as Doc Rivers of the Los Angeles Clippers and just recently, Stan Van Gundy of the Detroit Pistons.
The Cavaliers offer an intriguing position given that it has young All-Star point guard Kyrie Irving, who is also dealing with the prospect of a maximum contract extension, and the pressures of delivering a worthy No.1 overall pick this June 26th after picking Anthony Bennett No. 1, a year ago. Apart from these, there is also the pressure for a new coach to bring the team into the playoffs after multiple years of futility and management's consistent pressure to deliver after LeBron's departure.
The Cavaliers also met recently with other potential hires for the job including Los Angeles Clippers assistants Alvin Gentry and Ty Lue, ex-Memphis coach Lionel Hollins and ex-Clippers coach Vinny Del Negro. Apart from Calipari, Cleveland has also set its eyes on other college coaches such as Michigan State's Tom Izzo and Florida's Billy Donovan.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- Kate Upton And BF Justin Verlander Nude Photo Leaked; Verlander Instantly Became An Internet Meme Sensation
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers