Stanley Cup Finals: Los Angeles Kings Push New York Rangers on the Brink of Elimination
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | June 10, 2014 5:02 PM EST
Bring the brooms out into the ice. The Kings are set to dust off the Rangers.
Jonathan Quick led the way by making 32 amazing saves to foil the New York Rangers bid to come out 2-1 in the series. Instead, the Rangers are looking at elimination and are staring into a 3-0 hole in the Stanley Cup Finals.
Jun 9, 2014; New York, NY, USA; New York Rangers defenseman Dan Girardi (5) falls over the back of goalie Henrik Lundqvist (rear) and sweeps the puck off the goal line and away from Los Angeles Kings right wing Marian Gaborik (12) during the third period in game three of the 2014 Stanley Cup Final at Madison Square Garden.
Hoping to capture their 2nd title in three years, the Los Angeles Kings were able to shut out the usually potent Rangers offense and provided some of their own on the other end. Jeff Carter scored in the final second of the first period, while Jake Muzzin and Mike Richards added goals in the second canto which was the final score of 3-0.
Quick and the Kings are eyeing Wednesday night in New York as their last stop to capture the cup. And on a night when the goalie was just about foiling any attempt, it was easy for his teammates to do the rest. The win also demonstrated that the battle tested club has the ability to come back from deficits and keep leads when given the opportunity.
"I don't think it would be any different if we were down 3-0," Quick said. "We're just trying to win a game in a couple days here. That's the focus."
Just two games removed from blowing two game leads in each of the first two games in Los Angeles, the Rangers confidence was further dampened when they could not get anything past Quick and the net. The All-Star was loking sharp and ready early on when the Kings mounted their lead. New York was hoping to build on six power plays early in the game but nothing came through in the offense for them.
"We did a lot of things the right way," Quick said. "Now we get ready for the next one. The fourth one is always the most difficult."
Los Angeles narrowly won two overtime wins at home and then took complete command inside Madison Square Garden. They are now setting their sights in wrapping up the series, wherein historically only one team, the 1942 Maple Leafs were able to come back from a 3-0 deficit.
Even in defeat, the Rangers are staying positive and are hoping they can take one game at a time. "You try to stay positive right now, but it's tough. It's really tough," New York's Henrik Lundqvist said. "We are doing a lot of good things, but you look at the goals, and we put two in our own net. Then just a tough play on the third one."
He was hardly to blame on the goals as he managed his own with 12 saves but on the other end of the spectrum, Quick was just perfect with the shutout. Wednesday night will determine if the ice is ready for some sweeping.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics Schedule & Results
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]
- Sony Xperia Z3 Specs Leaked with More Killer Features Ahead of Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6