Stanley Cup Finals: Los Angeles Kings Push New York Rangers on the Brink of Elimination
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | June 10, 2014 5:02 PM EST
Bring the brooms out into the ice. The Kings are set to dust off the Rangers.
Jonathan Quick led the way by making 32 amazing saves to foil the New York Rangers bid to come out 2-1 in the series. Instead, the Rangers are looking at elimination and are staring into a 3-0 hole in the Stanley Cup Finals.
Jun 9, 2014; New York, NY, USA; New York Rangers defenseman Dan Girardi (5) falls over the back of goalie Henrik Lundqvist (rear) and sweeps the puck off the goal line and away from Los Angeles Kings right wing Marian Gaborik (12) during the third period in game three of the 2014 Stanley Cup Final at Madison Square Garden.
Hoping to capture their 2nd title in three years, the Los Angeles Kings were able to shut out the usually potent Rangers offense and provided some of their own on the other end. Jeff Carter scored in the final second of the first period, while Jake Muzzin and Mike Richards added goals in the second canto which was the final score of 3-0.
Quick and the Kings are eyeing Wednesday night in New York as their last stop to capture the cup. And on a night when the goalie was just about foiling any attempt, it was easy for his teammates to do the rest. The win also demonstrated that the battle tested club has the ability to come back from deficits and keep leads when given the opportunity.
"I don't think it would be any different if we were down 3-0," Quick said. "We're just trying to win a game in a couple days here. That's the focus."
Just two games removed from blowing two game leads in each of the first two games in Los Angeles, the Rangers confidence was further dampened when they could not get anything past Quick and the net. The All-Star was loking sharp and ready early on when the Kings mounted their lead. New York was hoping to build on six power plays early in the game but nothing came through in the offense for them.
"We did a lot of things the right way," Quick said. "Now we get ready for the next one. The fourth one is always the most difficult."
Los Angeles narrowly won two overtime wins at home and then took complete command inside Madison Square Garden. They are now setting their sights in wrapping up the series, wherein historically only one team, the 1942 Maple Leafs were able to come back from a 3-0 deficit.
Even in defeat, the Rangers are staying positive and are hoping they can take one game at a time. "You try to stay positive right now, but it's tough. It's really tough," New York's Henrik Lundqvist said. "We are doing a lot of good things, but you look at the goals, and we put two in our own net. Then just a tough play on the third one."
He was hardly to blame on the goals as he managed his own with 12 saves but on the other end of the spectrum, Quick was just perfect with the shutout. Wednesday night will determine if the ice is ready for some sweeping.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Mayweather Jr. Responds To 2015 Super Fight Talks; American Bashes Pacquiao With Social Media Video Post of Marquez's KO
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Marussia Formula One Team Keeps Its Promise To Injured Driver
- Phil Hughes No More: Australian Batsman Dies at 25
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones