2014 World Cup Betting Odds: Australia Won’t Win in Brazil But You Can Still Earn Off the Socceroos
By James Patrick Quizon | June 10, 2014 4:59 PM EST
It is perhaps a lost cause to bet on Australia to win the 2014 World Cup in Brazil. However, betting on the Socceroos in some prop bets could be profitable as seen in the attractive Australia-centric betting lines below.
Australia's national soccer coach Ange Postecoglou (2nd L) speaks after announcing Australia's preliminary 30-man World Cup squad, which includes Mark Milligan (L) and Ivan Franjic (R), in Sydney May 14, 2014. Also pictured is Football Federation Australia CEO David Gallop (2nd R).
Quick crash course on sports betting: X (Amount of Bet) times Betting Odds = Pay Out
The Impossible Dream
Australia to Win World Cup: 751.00
A $100 bet wins a huge $75,100 if the Aussies manage to pull-off a string of major upsets. If you believe in miracles—and they do happen in sports—it’s probably worth a shot.
Australia to Survive the Group Stages: 13.00
Australia to Survive the Group Stages: 61.00
Now that’s a friendlier betting line— compared to winning it all anyway—but it’s still the worst line among the group. Powerhouse Spain (1.12) and Netherlands (1.57) are the favorites to advance from this group while Chile (1.97) has the puncher’s chance. Australia is pegged at 13.00.
To win the group, Spain is at 1.67, Netherlands at 3.75 and Chile at 5.00. And oh, 61.00 for Australia.
A $100 bet on both will net the bettor $1,300 if Australia advance from Group B; and the same wager will earn $6,100 if Australia tops the group!
Australia to Finish on Bottom of Group: 1.20
Seeing the lines above, Aussie fans have the option to completely turn their backs on their country by betting that Australia will finish last in Group B. Australia is priced at 1.20 to bottom out, Chile at 6.50, Netherlands at 9.50 and Spain at 26.00.
That means if you don’t see any light at the end of the Brazilian tunnel, this is your kind of bet. Don’t tell your friends though, just silently cash in after the Socceroos get bludgeoned in Brazil.
A $100 bet on Australia will net a nice $120 if they do get bludgeoned in Brazil.
Vote for the Top Aussie
If you don’t have the stomach to back or bet against Australia in this World Cup, you can just try to predict the top goal scorer for the Socceroos. Who among them will find the net most times?
Tim Cahill (4.33) - Forward
Mathew Leckie (8.00) - Forward
Adam Taggart (9.50) - Forward
Mile Jedinak (12.00) - Midfielder
Tommy Oar (14.00) - Midfielder
James Troisi (15.00) - Midfielder
Dario Vidosic (19.00) - Midfielder
Mark Bresciano (19.00) - Midfielder
Ben Halloran (23.00) – Forward
Got guts to back Australia in Brazil? Got extra cash to put on the Aussies to pull off an upset or two?
(All betting odds via GTbets.eu, accurate as of time of posting)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics, Swimming Schedule & Results
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal