Rik Mayall Dies at 56; A Look Back at His Achievements as Actor, Writer and Comedian
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | June 10, 2014 3:55 PM EST
Considered to be the pioneer of alternative comedy, Rik Mayall died at the age of 56, reportedly taking a "sudden death" at his home in Barnes in south west London on Monday, June 9, 2014.
BBC reported that according to the London Ambulance Service a man in his 50s "was pronounced dead at the scene" on June 9. The Metropolitan Police confirmed that there was nothing "suspicious" about the death.
In 1998, Mayall, a well-loved comedian, was reported to have received his first blow regarding his health after a biking accident, which put the comedian in a coma for five days and is now being dug up as something that might have contributed to Mayall's "sudden death."
Rik Mayall was married to Barbara Robbin and was a father to three beautiful children: Rosie, Sydney and Bonnie. A son of both drama teachers, Mayall made his acting debut at the young age of seven in one of his father's stage plays.
The 56-year-old comedian, who was also a writer, is known for his roles in TV shows such as "The Young Ones" (1982-1984), which he reportedly co-wrote with Lise Mayer and Ben Elton, and "Bottom" (1991-1995) where he played as Richie.
Adrian Edmonson, Mayall's longtime pal and collaborator, was reported to have been one of the people who have led tributes for the 56-year-old comedian.
"There were times when Rik [Mayall] and I were writing together when we almost died laughing," Edmonson revealed to Sky News.
"The Comic Strip" (1981), where the comedian and Edmonson worked together, was what had given Mayall his break, leading to the hit television show "The Comic Strip Presents" (1983-2012).
"Rik Mayall made me crave comedy, satire and politics," Jamie Reed, a Member of Parliament for Copeland in Cumbria wrote in a blog post, which was later reposted in The Guardian, at labourlist.org.
"He made me want to write, he made me want to think and he made me and every one of my friends want to be him," the 40-year-old politician added.
Mayall's latest TV show was "Man Down," which aired in 2013. His other TV shows included "The New Statesman," "Blackadder," "King Arthur's Disasters" and "Shoebox Zoo."
But aside from his TV roles, Rik Mayall had also made an appearance in the big screen, including his most popular one "Drop Dead Fred" in 1991 and had apparently made use of his voice in the popular children's TV series "SpongeBob Squarepants" as Lord Reginald in 2006.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 29, 2014: Caroline Is Remorseful About What Happened To Her And Ridge While Katie Is Fuming [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Star Wars: Episode 7' Leaked Image Of New Villain Clutching Red Lightsaber [Spoilers]
- 'The Walking Dead' Star Norman Reedus Bashes The Report That He Begged The Producers Not To Turn Daryl Dixon Gay
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Game Of Thrones' Actor Kit Harington Denies Romance With Co-stars Rose Leslie And Emilia Clarke
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight