Box Office Report: ‘The Fault in Our Stars’ on Top ‘Edge of Tomorrow’ Trails Behind ‘Maleficent’
By Sachin Trivedi | June 10, 2014 3:37 PM EST
The romantic drama "The Fault in Our Stars" emerged as the top grossing movie at the box office while "Maleficent" managed to place second. The Sci-fi action flick "Edge of Tomorrow," starring Tom Cruise, came in a close third.
Cast members Emily Blunt and Tom Cruise arrive for the premiere of "Edge of Tomorrow" in New York May 28, 2014. The movie premiered in three countries in one day. REUTERS/Carlo Allegri
According to a report by Box Office Mojo the three movies were in a close race to the top."The Fault in Our Stars" was able to make over $65 million in worldwide collections at the box office. The movie made over $48 million in the U.S and over $17 million in the international market.
"The Fault in Our Stars" is a love story of two teenagers Hazel and Gus. The heartwarming story of love shows the love between two people living in different circumstances. Hazel has to carry her oxygen mask all the time and Gus has a prosthetic leg. The two meet at a cancer support group.
"Maleficent" continues to perform well at the box office making over $34 million at the weekend box office. The movie has earned a total of $336 million worldwide, the U.S earnings of the movie were $128 million and the earnings from the international market were over $208 million.
"Maleficent" is the story of a vengeful fairy protecting the forest from an invading army. She curses an infant, only to discover that the key to the future peace and prosperity to the forest depends on the child. The child will also bring peace to the heart of the fairy.
The Tom Cruise starrer "Edge of Tomorrow" failed to topple "Maleficent" and "The Fault in Our Stars" at the box office. The movie was able to make over $28 million at the weekend. The total worldwide earnings of the movie stood at over $139 million. Apart from the U.S earnings of over $28 million, the movie made over $111 million in the international market.
Tom Cruise plays the role of Major William Cage, an officer from earth facing an alien race in battle. The theme of the movie is about a time loop that the officer finds himself every time he dies in battle. Each time he is thrown back in time after death he finds himself becoming better at the battle against the aliens.
Will "Edge of Tomorrow" be able to beat "Maleficent" in the coming week? Will "The Fault in Our Stars" retain its top position at the box office? The popular movies releasing next week include "How to Train Your Dragon" 2, "22 Jump Street" and "All Cheerleaders Die."
George R. R. Martin looking Forward to 'Ant-Man' - 'Outraged' with 'The Avengers' Film [Read]
'Awkward' Season 4 Episode 8 Recap: Jake and Matty Spend Time in Jail [Read]
'Game of Thrones' Season 4 Spoilers: Tyrion Lannister's Fate [Watch Video] [Read]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Celebrities’ Leaked Nude Photos: Master-List Printed, Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian, Kate Upton, Jennifer Lawrence, Kaley Cuoco, Rihanna, More Names On It
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice’ First Photo Of Lex Luthor Leaked, Jesse Eisenberg On Villain’s Role And Plot Details Revealed
- Nick Cannon–Mariah Carey Divorce Reports: Nick Dating Younger Woman
- Nude Photos Leaked: Mary Elizabeth Winstead Says Nude Photos Hers, Faces Backlash, Takes Twitter Break
- ‘Bachelor In Paradise’ Spoilers: Find Out Whether AshLee Frazier And Graham Bunn Last Till The End; Meet The New Arrivals Of Episode 6
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones