Box Office Report: ‘The Fault in Our Stars’ on Top ‘Edge of Tomorrow’ Trails Behind ‘Maleficent’
By Sachin Trivedi | June 10, 2014 3:37 PM EST
The romantic drama "The Fault in Our Stars" emerged as the top grossing movie at the box office while "Maleficent" managed to place second. The Sci-fi action flick "Edge of Tomorrow," starring Tom Cruise, came in a close third.
Cast members Emily Blunt and Tom Cruise arrive for the premiere of "Edge of Tomorrow" in New York May 28, 2014. The movie premiered in three countries in one day. REUTERS/Carlo Allegri
According to a report by Box Office Mojo the three movies were in a close race to the top."The Fault in Our Stars" was able to make over $65 million in worldwide collections at the box office. The movie made over $48 million in the U.S and over $17 million in the international market.
"The Fault in Our Stars" is a love story of two teenagers Hazel and Gus. The heartwarming story of love shows the love between two people living in different circumstances. Hazel has to carry her oxygen mask all the time and Gus has a prosthetic leg. The two meet at a cancer support group.
"Maleficent" continues to perform well at the box office making over $34 million at the weekend box office. The movie has earned a total of $336 million worldwide, the U.S earnings of the movie were $128 million and the earnings from the international market were over $208 million.
"Maleficent" is the story of a vengeful fairy protecting the forest from an invading army. She curses an infant, only to discover that the key to the future peace and prosperity to the forest depends on the child. The child will also bring peace to the heart of the fairy.
The Tom Cruise starrer "Edge of Tomorrow" failed to topple "Maleficent" and "The Fault in Our Stars" at the box office. The movie was able to make over $28 million at the weekend. The total worldwide earnings of the movie stood at over $139 million. Apart from the U.S earnings of over $28 million, the movie made over $111 million in the international market.
Tom Cruise plays the role of Major William Cage, an officer from earth facing an alien race in battle. The theme of the movie is about a time loop that the officer finds himself every time he dies in battle. Each time he is thrown back in time after death he finds himself becoming better at the battle against the aliens.
Will "Edge of Tomorrow" be able to beat "Maleficent" in the coming week? Will "The Fault in Our Stars" retain its top position at the box office? The popular movies releasing next week include "How to Train Your Dragon" 2, "22 Jump Street" and "All Cheerleaders Die."
George R. R. Martin looking Forward to 'Ant-Man' - 'Outraged' with 'The Avengers' Film [Read]
'Awkward' Season 4 Episode 8 Recap: Jake and Matty Spend Time in Jail [Read]
'Game of Thrones' Season 4 Spoilers: Tyrion Lannister's Fate [Watch Video] [Read]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 2 Major Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Strangers’
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage