Queen Elizabeth Faced With Succession Issue Between Charles And Camilla or William And Kate
By Christine Jane Caparras | June 10, 2014 3:25 PM EST
Kate Middleton has long been labeled "Waity Katey" during her relationship with Prince William when the whole world was anticipating whether he would eventually propose. Someone else in the family has upstaged her as being the best at waiting as Prince Charles and his wife, Camilla, are now withering while waiting for the throne.
Queen Elizabeth (4th L) stands on the balcony of Buckingham Palace with Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall (L), Prince Charles (2nd L), Princess Anne (3rd L), Prince Andrew (4th R), Prince Harry (3rd R), Prince William (R) and Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge after the Trooping the Colour ceremony in central London June 15, 2013.
Kate has long wed Prince William, become the Duchess of Cambridge and gave birth to a male heir. Things looked good for the Royal couple, except that, before they take over the throne from Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Charles, William's father stands next in line.
Questions about the succession have been raised due to the recent abdication of King Juan Carlos of Spain in favor of his son, Prince Felipe, 46. The King is now 75 and sees his son as being at his prime. Now is the best time to turnover the throne and not wait for him to "wither" like Prince Charles who is now 65. Queen Elizabeth is currently 88.
Lord John Prescott, former Deputy Prime Minister, has been vocal about his views that the Queen should turnover at least some of her responsibilities to Prince Charles such as next year's address to the Parliament.
Lord Prescott also used Pope Benedict XVI and the three European monarchs who have abdicated this year as examples of other successions that the Queen should consider to follow.
"Why not let Charles take more of the burden off her shoulders? In 2015, she could hand over the State Opening of Parliament to her son," he said.
"When Pope Benedict XVI stood down last year he became Pope Emeritus. So why can't we have a Queen Emeritus? Elizabeth has given great service to this country. No one would think less of her if we allowed her to enjoy her remaining years with her grandchildren and great grandchildren as the Queen Mother," he concluded.
The Queen is advancing in years and the inevitable is bound to happen whether she chooses to do so willingly or through nature's own course. While Charles has the birthright, his blunders have caused much speculation that the Queen sees him unfit to rule especially with Camilla by his side.
Reports surfaced during Prince Geroge's Christening late last year that Camilla feels threatened by the birth of the new heir and been bullying Kate. Most recently, Prince Charles embarrassed the Royal family when reports came out he likened Russian Pres. Vladimir Putin to Hitler.
Kate and William have been taking on more royal responsibilities as a couple. The most recent was being on tour to Australia and New Zealand, which led to Kate's bare bottom scandal. It remains to be seen whether the Queen will eventually abdicate and who she will name as s successor or if she will let nature take its course and allow Prince Charles to eventually take his birthright.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Hilarious Reactions For Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Secret Wedding: George Clooney, Jennifer Aniston, Billy Bob Thornton
- ‘Bachelor In Paradise’ Episode 6 Spoilers: Next Week Tests Relationships And Sees A Shocking Exit
- Mila Kunis-Ashton Kutcher Baby; Actor ‘Not Letting Mila Out Of His Sight’
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Exclusive New Trailer, Charlie Hunnam Is Guy Ritchie’s Choice For King Arthur [VIDEO]
- ‘Castle’ Update: Watch Stana Katic, Jon, Seamus Take Bucket Challenge At Season 7 Set, Nathan Fillion Missing [VIDEOS]
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Windows 9 To Include Interactive Live Tiles and Notification Center in Metro 2.0