Donald's Double-Take: Sterling Not Giving Up Yet, Will Sue NBA After All
By James Patrick Quizon | June 10, 2014 3:23 PM EST
Just as everyone thought (and wished) that Donald Sterling will just go away, the embattled Los Angeles Clippers owner is not going down without a fight after all. In a 180-degree turn yet again, Sterling is reportedly pursuing the $1 billion federal lawsuit against the NBA and NBA commissioner Adam Silver.
Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling (C), his wife Shelly (L) and actor George Segal attend the NBA basketball game between the Toronto Raptors and the Los Angeles Clippers at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, December 22, 2008
In a letter titled “The Team is not for Sale” published on ESPN.com on Monday, Sterling revealed the change of heart and will ”withdraw his support for the sale of the team negotiated by his wife.”
“I believe that Adam Silver acted in haste by illegally ordering the forced sale of the Clippers, banning me for life from the NBA and imposing the fine. Adam Silver's conduct in doing so without conducting any real investigation was wrong,” started Sterling, who also apologized for his misdeeds in the letter.
“I have decided that I must fight to protect my rights. While my position may not be popular, I believe that my rights to privacy and the preservation of my rights to due process should not be trampled.”
Max Blecher, the attorney who represents Sterling in the case, also added that indeed, “the deal is off”
Just last week as reported as well in here in IBTimes, Sterling said in statement that the he is giving the go-signal to his wife, Shelly Sterling to proceed with the franchise sale to the group of former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer.
"I feel fabulous, I feel very good," Sterling told the media about the purported sale. "Everything is just the way it should be, really. It may have worked out differently, but it's good. It's all good.”
With the recent turn of events, apparently the fight between Sterling and the NBA is not over.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tasks Engineers to Create the Perfect Tennis Racquet [VIDEO]
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- LeBron James and Cleveland Cavaliers the Team to Beat in the East – Paul George
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff