Donald's Double-Take: Sterling Not Giving Up Yet, Will Sue NBA After All
By James Patrick Quizon | June 10, 2014 3:23 PM EST
Just as everyone thought (and wished) that Donald Sterling will just go away, the embattled Los Angeles Clippers owner is not going down without a fight after all. In a 180-degree turn yet again, Sterling is reportedly pursuing the $1 billion federal lawsuit against the NBA and NBA commissioner Adam Silver.
Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling (C), his wife Shelly (L) and actor George Segal attend the NBA basketball game between the Toronto Raptors and the Los Angeles Clippers at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, December 22, 2008
In a letter titled “The Team is not for Sale” published on ESPN.com on Monday, Sterling revealed the change of heart and will ”withdraw his support for the sale of the team negotiated by his wife.”
“I believe that Adam Silver acted in haste by illegally ordering the forced sale of the Clippers, banning me for life from the NBA and imposing the fine. Adam Silver's conduct in doing so without conducting any real investigation was wrong,” started Sterling, who also apologized for his misdeeds in the letter.
“I have decided that I must fight to protect my rights. While my position may not be popular, I believe that my rights to privacy and the preservation of my rights to due process should not be trampled.”
Max Blecher, the attorney who represents Sterling in the case, also added that indeed, “the deal is off”
Just last week as reported as well in here in IBTimes, Sterling said in statement that the he is giving the go-signal to his wife, Shelly Sterling to proceed with the franchise sale to the group of former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer.
"I feel fabulous, I feel very good," Sterling told the media about the purported sale. "Everything is just the way it should be, really. It may have worked out differently, but it's good. It's all good.”
With the recent turn of events, apparently the fight between Sterling and the NBA is not over.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tim Tebow Stars in SEC Network Commercial
- Fernando Alonso Describes Michael Schumacher as the Strongest Opponent He Has Faced in F1
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Satisfied Despite Coming Out with a Draw against Besiktas
- Serena Williams and Patrick Mouratoglou Break-up Unlikely, Coach Posts Instagram Photos of Girlfriend
- UFC President Dana White Says He is Very Excited for Anderson Silva’s Comeback in January
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015