Cavaliers Can’t Woo John Calipari Despite $80M Offer
By James Patrick Quizon | June 10, 2014 2:28 PM EST
The Cleveland Cavaliers tried to woo John Calipari with an offer that ranged from $60 to $80 million before the celebrated college head coach decided to stay with the University of Kentucky (UK) in the NCAA.
NCAA Basketball: Championship Game Connecticut vs Kentucky
According to a report from Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports, Cavaliers owner pursued Calipari and was prepared to offer him the Cleveland head coaching position as well as a final say on personnel decisions.
However, Calipari chose to stay in college hoops signing on a seven-year, $52M contract with the Wildcats over the weekend. If he decided otherwise and joined the NBA, he would have become one of the highest paid head coaches in the league.
Calipari has proven himself as a successful head coach in college but not in the pro level. He coached the University of Massachusetts (1988 to 1996), Memphis (2000 to 2009) and Kentucky (2009 to present) but was relatively unsuccessful with the New Jersey Nets (1996 to 1999) leading the latter to just one postseason appearance.
Aside from his coaching pedigree, Calipari is a known big time recruiter in college—something the Cavaliers could have used as they chase free agents in this offseason. In his first year with the Wildcats, he convinced the likes of John Wall, DeMarcus Cousins and Eric Bledsoe to play for Kentucky. All three are now legit stars in the NBA.
The Cavs are moving on with their coaching search and are interested in Alvin Gentry (former NBA head coach), Tyronne Lue (former NBA player), Lionell Hollins (former Memphis Grizzlies head coach) and Vinny Del Negro (former NBA head coach among others.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports