NBA Free-Agency 2014: Lakers Want To Sign LeBron James This Offseason
By Lou Ramon Aguila | June 10, 2014 1:47 PM EST
The Los Angeles Lakers are hoping they can land LeBron James or Carmelo Anthony, who can opt from their contracts and become unrestricted free-agents this summer, according to a source close to situation on Monday.
NBA: Los Angeles Lakers at San Antonio Spurs
According to Sam Amick of USA Today, the Lakers are reportedly stalling their head coaching search in hopes of nabbing a big time free-agent this offseason.
James and Anthony could lead a crop of elite free-agents this summer, because they all have opt-out options in their contract. While Anthony is more likely to hit the free-agency market, there are speculations that James could explore this summer, even more if the Heat fails to defend their championship against the San Antonio Spurs.
The idea of LeBron becoming a free-agent certainly excites Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak, who is no stranger to pulling off huge transactions.
"The slow pace of the Lakers' coaching search that began April 30 when Mike D'Antoni resigned has been timed deliberately with the upcoming free agency period in the NBA, according to a person with knowledge of the situation," Amick stated in his report.
"Specifically, the idea that the Lakers could beat the odds and land the likes of the Heat's LeBron James, the New York Knicks' Carmelo Anthony or any of the other superstars who may be free agents on July 1 has led the Lakers to plod through their process so as to not limit their potential options. The person spoke to USA TODAY Sports on the condition of anonymity because of the private nature of the search."
The Lakers only have Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash and Robert Sacre in their current roster, putting more loads of responsibility on Kupchak's shoulder to form a competitive team after one of the worst seasons in franchise history.
According to rumors, the Lakers are also eyeing up-and-coming stars like Erik Bledsoe, Kyle Lowry and Lance Stephenson. Re-signing All-Star forward Pau Gasol is also being considered, but that appears to be a long shot because of the Lakers need of a young player capable of becoming a cornerstone for the team's future campaigns.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Celebrities Whose Life Changed Because of Sexual Abuse and Molestation
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- Khloe Kardashian Sympathetic About Ex-Husband Lamar Odom in Recent Instagram Posts
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market