Australian Stock Market Report – Midday June 10, 2014
By Juliette Saly, CommSec Market Analyst | June 10, 2014 1:05 PM EST
The Australian share market is trading higher in the early session, as investors returned from the long weekend in a buying mood. Positive economic data out of the US overnight and solid Chinese trade data figures released on the weekend have given support to sentiment.
The oil price is trading at a three month high following the positive economic data, sending out energy space up by 0.3 per cent. Mining stocks are also well supported following a couple of weeks of volatile trade, although the iron ore price remains below US$95 a dry tonne.
Financial stocks are also receiving support with the big four banks lifting the financial sector by 0.7 per cent. CBA shares (CBA) briefly hit an all-time high of $82.53 in early trade.
Retail stocks however are under pressure, following two separate profit downgrades in the consumer discretionary space today. The Reject Shop (TRS) now expects annual net profit to come in between $14.5-15.5 million, down from previous estimates of $17-18 million. Pacific Brands Group (PBG), which owns brands such as Bonds and Berlei, expects operating profits for the year to June, excluding significant items, to come in between $90-93 million, down from previous guidance of $105 million. Both companies have blamed warmer weather and a downturn in consumer confidence for the revisions. TRS shares are down 11.2 per cent to $8.13 while PBG is lower by 6.3 per cent to 52.5 cents.
Meanwhile, businesses don't appear to be as fazed by the Federal Budget as consumers. Business confidence remained unchanged in May at a reading of plus 7 points, while confidence dipped slightly to a reading of minus one.
ANZ job ads fell 5.6 per cent in May, while ABS data showed home loans were flat in the month of April.
The Australian dollar has ticked up following the deluge of data and is buying US93.54c at lunchtime in the East.
904 million shares have changed hands, with a value of $1.6 billion. 460 are up, 477 are down and 367 are unchanged.
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Miranda Kerr Broke Her Silence: Not Pregnant With James Packard’s Baby [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- Google Works on Powering Up Chromebook Line to Kill Competitors, Nvidia Joins with Acer for New Killer Laptop