Australian Stock Market Report – Midday June 10, 2014
By Juliette Saly, CommSec Market Analyst | June 10, 2014 1:05 PM EST
The Australian share market is trading higher in the early session, as investors returned from the long weekend in a buying mood. Positive economic data out of the US overnight and solid Chinese trade data figures released on the weekend have given support to sentiment.
The oil price is trading at a three month high following the positive economic data, sending out energy space up by 0.3 per cent. Mining stocks are also well supported following a couple of weeks of volatile trade, although the iron ore price remains below US$95 a dry tonne.
Financial stocks are also receiving support with the big four banks lifting the financial sector by 0.7 per cent. CBA shares (CBA) briefly hit an all-time high of $82.53 in early trade.
Retail stocks however are under pressure, following two separate profit downgrades in the consumer discretionary space today. The Reject Shop (TRS) now expects annual net profit to come in between $14.5-15.5 million, down from previous estimates of $17-18 million. Pacific Brands Group (PBG), which owns brands such as Bonds and Berlei, expects operating profits for the year to June, excluding significant items, to come in between $90-93 million, down from previous guidance of $105 million. Both companies have blamed warmer weather and a downturn in consumer confidence for the revisions. TRS shares are down 11.2 per cent to $8.13 while PBG is lower by 6.3 per cent to 52.5 cents.
Meanwhile, businesses don't appear to be as fazed by the Federal Budget as consumers. Business confidence remained unchanged in May at a reading of plus 7 points, while confidence dipped slightly to a reading of minus one.
ANZ job ads fell 5.6 per cent in May, while ABS data showed home loans were flat in the month of April.
The Australian dollar has ticked up following the deluge of data and is buying US93.54c at lunchtime in the East.
904 million shares have changed hands, with a value of $1.6 billion. 460 are up, 477 are down and 367 are unchanged.
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus on the Loose: World Cautioned as Infection Moves; Global Airports on High Alert; Kills Liberian Doctor, Infects American Worker
- Advisory: Britons Told to Leave Libya ASAP, UK Issues Travel Ban
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Multi-Million Pound Law Suit Looms Over Putin’s Head, Assets At Risk
- Magaluf 2014 Update: Spanish Bar Where Teen Performed Sex Acts Closed, to Pay $78K Fine Along with Carnage Event Planner (VIDEOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Russian International Condemnation Extends to 2018 World Cup
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]
- Sony Xperia Z3 Specs Leaked with More Killer Features Ahead of Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6