Manny Pacquiao Named Head Coach of New Philippine Basketball Team; Filipino Boxer Reportedly Open to the Possibility of Being a Playing Coach
By Rachelle Corpuz | June 10, 2014 11:56 AM EST
Eight division boxing world champion Manny Pacquiao has reportedly been selected as the head coach of a new Philippine basketball team.
Pacquiao officially revealed his coaching stint during a press conference on June 9, Inquirer Sports reported. Pacquiao is delighted for the opportunity. He said that that he had always loved basketball. The Filipino boxer will be the head coach of one of the three newly-approved Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) team "Kia Motors."
Boxer Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines waves to fans from a ring in the lobby of the MGM Grand Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada April 8, 2014. Pacquiao will challenge undefeated WBO welterweight champion Timothy Bradley of the U.S. at the MGM Grand Garden Arena on April 12. The fight is a rematch to a June 9, 2012 fight that Bradley won. REUTERS/Steve Marcus
I'm very happy to be named head coach of Kia," said Pacquiao. "I really like basketball, even though I have many accomplishments in boxing, basketball is still in my heart," he added.
Even though the Filipino boxer never really played the sport professionally, he is confident that he will be able to impart a little bit of his knowledge and help hone the skills of his basketball players. Pacquiao also remains optimistic that his coaching stint will not interfere with his boxing career as well as his political duties being a congressman himself.
"Just time management and self-discipline, I'll be able to handle that."
On the matter of being a playing coach, Pacquiao said he is not turning down the possibility. However, he said that it is not his top priority at the moment. "As of now, I am head coach. As for playing, we still don't know that. My focus is in coaching, to get good players and or organise a would-be great team," Pacquiao uttered.
The speculations about Pacquiao coaching a basketball team made headlines in May. Now that it is official, Pacquiao will be embarking on his incursions on the hard court when the PBA 2014-2015 season kicks off on Oct. 19. Pacquiao's schedule is not an easy ride. He works as a congressman and he is slated to have at least two fights every year. His coaching duties for the PBA just adds to his already frenzied calendar.
MORE ARTICLES TO READ:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report