Manny Pacquiao Named Head Coach of New Philippine Basketball Team; Filipino Boxer Reportedly Open to the Possibility of Being a Playing Coach
By Rachelle Corpuz | June 10, 2014 11:56 AM EST
Eight division boxing world champion Manny Pacquiao has reportedly been selected as the head coach of a new Philippine basketball team.
Pacquiao officially revealed his coaching stint during a press conference on June 9, Inquirer Sports reported. Pacquiao is delighted for the opportunity. He said that that he had always loved basketball. The Filipino boxer will be the head coach of one of the three newly-approved Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) team "Kia Motors."
Boxer Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines waves to fans from a ring in the lobby of the MGM Grand Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada April 8, 2014. Pacquiao will challenge undefeated WBO welterweight champion Timothy Bradley of the U.S. at the MGM Grand Garden Arena on April 12. The fight is a rematch to a June 9, 2012 fight that Bradley won. REUTERS/Steve Marcus
I'm very happy to be named head coach of Kia," said Pacquiao. "I really like basketball, even though I have many accomplishments in boxing, basketball is still in my heart," he added.
Even though the Filipino boxer never really played the sport professionally, he is confident that he will be able to impart a little bit of his knowledge and help hone the skills of his basketball players. Pacquiao also remains optimistic that his coaching stint will not interfere with his boxing career as well as his political duties being a congressman himself.
"Just time management and self-discipline, I'll be able to handle that."
On the matter of being a playing coach, Pacquiao said he is not turning down the possibility. However, he said that it is not his top priority at the moment. "As of now, I am head coach. As for playing, we still don't know that. My focus is in coaching, to get good players and or organise a would-be great team," Pacquiao uttered.
The speculations about Pacquiao coaching a basketball team made headlines in May. Now that it is official, Pacquiao will be embarking on his incursions on the hard court when the PBA 2014-2015 season kicks off on Oct. 19. Pacquiao's schedule is not an easy ride. He works as a congressman and he is slated to have at least two fights every year. His coaching duties for the PBA just adds to his already frenzied calendar.
MORE ARTICLES TO READ:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates