‘Game of Thrones’ Season 4 Episode 9 Review – Jon Snow Emerges as a Leader [Spoilers]
By Sachin Trivedi | June 10, 2014 11:42 AM EST
The biggest battle of "Game of Thrones" Season 4 finally arrived with giants and mammoths knocking on Castle Black's gates. The whole episode was dedicated to the battle between the wildlings and the few men of the Night's Watch. [Spoilers Ahead]
The biggest shocking death in the episode was that of Ygritte, the wildling woman who once loved Jon Snow but now wanted to be the one to kill him. Ygritte had the chance to kill Jon Snow but a moment's hesitation led to her being shot with an arrow. In a touching scene she dies in Jon's arms.
It was actually Alliser Thorne who was responsible for the defence of Castle Black and he explained to Jon Snow as to why he did not listen to his advice. A leader, according to Alliser, always has someone questioning his judgement but the leader does not waver.
Jon Snow was proved right about sealing the tunnel. The giants and a mammoth where too much for the outer gate and a giant slipped through. The strength and courage of the men of the Night's Watch was tested. Janos Slynt turned out to be a coward who refused to believe in the existence of giants, even when the giants were trying to breach the gates.
Janos Slynt remembered his days as the commander of the City Watch at King's Landing. In the heat of the battle he managed to hide himself in a room with Gilly. Alliser Thorne however was different; he personally led the charge to fight off the Wildlings at a critical moment.
"Game of Thrones" Season 4 may be marked as a turning point for Jon Snow. He has steadily been gaining the respect and support of his fellow men at the Night's Watch. Jon Snow was seen giving the orders in episode 9 after Alliser was wounded in battle.
The few men at the Night's Watch may have won a battle but there may be more battles to come. Jon Snow realised that it is only a matter of time before Castle Black is overrun by the Wildlings, unless something is done. He sets off beyond The Wall to kill the one man uniting the Wildlings - Mance Rayder.
Some of the other popular characters were missing in "Game of Thrones" Season 4 Episode 9, Daenerys Targaryen , Arya Stark and most of all Tyrion Lannister. The anticipation of what will happen to Tyrion and Arya may make the wait for the season finale that much more difficult.
George R. R. Martin looking Forward to 'Ant-Man' - 'Outraged' with 'The Avengers' Film [Read]
'Awkward' Season 4 Episode 8 Recap: Jake and Matty Spend Time in Jail [Read]
'Game of Thrones' Season 4 Spoilers: Tyrion Lannister's Fate [Watch Video] [Read]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 2 Major Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Strangers’
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’: Blake And Louise Tell The True Story
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘Days Of Our Lives’ (DOOL) Oct. 20-24 Spoilers: An ‘Unexpected Visitor’ Changes Everything For Sami Plus Updates On Salemites
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage