‘Game of Thrones’ Season 4 Episode 9 Review – Jon Snow Emerges as a Leader [Spoilers]
By Sachin Trivedi | June 10, 2014 11:42 AM EST
The biggest battle of "Game of Thrones" Season 4 finally arrived with giants and mammoths knocking on Castle Black's gates. The whole episode was dedicated to the battle between the wildlings and the few men of the Night's Watch. [Spoilers Ahead]
The biggest shocking death in the episode was that of Ygritte, the wildling woman who once loved Jon Snow but now wanted to be the one to kill him. Ygritte had the chance to kill Jon Snow but a moment's hesitation led to her being shot with an arrow. In a touching scene she dies in Jon's arms.
It was actually Alliser Thorne who was responsible for the defence of Castle Black and he explained to Jon Snow as to why he did not listen to his advice. A leader, according to Alliser, always has someone questioning his judgement but the leader does not waver.
Jon Snow was proved right about sealing the tunnel. The giants and a mammoth where too much for the outer gate and a giant slipped through. The strength and courage of the men of the Night's Watch was tested. Janos Slynt turned out to be a coward who refused to believe in the existence of giants, even when the giants were trying to breach the gates.
Janos Slynt remembered his days as the commander of the City Watch at King's Landing. In the heat of the battle he managed to hide himself in a room with Gilly. Alliser Thorne however was different; he personally led the charge to fight off the Wildlings at a critical moment.
"Game of Thrones" Season 4 may be marked as a turning point for Jon Snow. He has steadily been gaining the respect and support of his fellow men at the Night's Watch. Jon Snow was seen giving the orders in episode 9 after Alliser was wounded in battle.
The few men at the Night's Watch may have won a battle but there may be more battles to come. Jon Snow realised that it is only a matter of time before Castle Black is overrun by the Wildlings, unless something is done. He sets off beyond The Wall to kill the one man uniting the Wildlings - Mance Rayder.
Some of the other popular characters were missing in "Game of Thrones" Season 4 Episode 9, Daenerys Targaryen , Arya Stark and most of all Tyrion Lannister. The anticipation of what will happen to Tyrion and Arya may make the wait for the season finale that much more difficult.
George R. R. Martin looking Forward to 'Ant-Man' - 'Outraged' with 'The Avengers' Film [Read]
'Awkward' Season 4 Episode 8 Recap: Jake and Matty Spend Time in Jail [Read]
'Game of Thrones' Season 4 Spoilers: Tyrion Lannister's Fate [Watch Video] [Read]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 24 – 28 Plus Thanksgiving Special Spoilers: Someone Returns, Kelly Finds Out About Engagement And More [Videos]
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Nov. 24-28, 2014 Plus Additional Spoilers For Dec. 1, 2014: Thanksgiving In Port Charles
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Rick Grimes’ Group To Capture Cops In Episode 7 – ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Major Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Thoughtful in ‘Crossed’
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan