Iggy Azalea Denies Feud with Lorde After Criticising Her Nirvana Tribute [VIDEO]
By Anne Lu | June 10, 2014 10:04 AM EST
Iggy Azalea denies she started a feud with Lorde. The Australian rapper claims her statement was misconstrued when she called the Kiwi star’s tribute to Nirvana “inappropriate.”
Speaking to Billboard, the 24-year-old “Fancy” hitmaker expressed her real feelings about Lorde being asked to sing at Nirvana’s Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony in April.
Singer Iggy Azalea performs "Fancy" at the 2014 Billboard Music Awards in Las Vegas, Nevada May 18, 2014. REUTERS/Steve Marcus
Lorde took the late Kurt Cobain’s place at the ceremony to sing “All Apologies” with the surviving members of the band.
“Nothing against her, but I think when you’re doing a tribute to someone that’s dead, generally it should be the person’s peer,” Iggy told Billboard.
“Lorde is not Kurt Cobain’s peer. No matter if she killed the performance or not, I just don’t think it’s appropriate.”
Lorde did kill the performance, according to critics and fans alike. More importantly, drummer Dave Grohl thought the 17-year-old did spectacularly.
“There’s something about her that represented or resembled the Nirvana aesthetic. She has an incredible future ahead of her as a writer, performer and vocalist,” he has told Rolling Stone magazine.
Watch Lorde’s performance here:
Although it appeared like Iggy was taking a dig at Lorde, the hip-hop singer denies that she was starting a war with her “southern hemispheric soul sister.”
I consider lorde my very talented friend. I find it ironic 2 girls tell the media theyre full of shit & weeks later supposedly I dislike her
— IGGY AZALEA (@IGGYAZALEA) June 9, 2014
My opinion on the makings of a touching musical tribute wasn't meant as some back door way to take a dig at her or the performance she gave. — IGGY AZALEA (@IGGYAZALEA) June 9, 2014
Lorde has remained quiet amid the commotion caused by Iggy’s statement. Iggy, who was previously defended by Lorde against “spineless” music publications, felt bad about how her words were perceived.
sorry if it came across that way, it's not what I intended & I feel genuinely bad about it because I still think lorde is an awesome chick.
— IGGY AZALEA (@IGGYAZALEA) June 9, 2014
And I just don't want to world thinking I don't support the girls, because I do! Anyway I'm off to paint my kitchen! Lots of love. ✌️ — IGGY AZALEA (@IGGYAZALEA) June 9, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China