Iggy Azalea Denies Feud with Lorde After Criticising Her Nirvana Tribute [VIDEO]
By Anne Lu | June 10, 2014 10:04 AM EST
Iggy Azalea denies she started a feud with Lorde. The Australian rapper claims her statement was misconstrued when she called the Kiwi star’s tribute to Nirvana “inappropriate.”
Speaking to Billboard, the 24-year-old “Fancy” hitmaker expressed her real feelings about Lorde being asked to sing at Nirvana’s Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony in April.
Singer Iggy Azalea performs "Fancy" at the 2014 Billboard Music Awards in Las Vegas, Nevada May 18, 2014. REUTERS/Steve Marcus
Lorde took the late Kurt Cobain’s place at the ceremony to sing “All Apologies” with the surviving members of the band.
“Nothing against her, but I think when you’re doing a tribute to someone that’s dead, generally it should be the person’s peer,” Iggy told Billboard.
“Lorde is not Kurt Cobain’s peer. No matter if she killed the performance or not, I just don’t think it’s appropriate.”
Lorde did kill the performance, according to critics and fans alike. More importantly, drummer Dave Grohl thought the 17-year-old did spectacularly.
“There’s something about her that represented or resembled the Nirvana aesthetic. She has an incredible future ahead of her as a writer, performer and vocalist,” he has told Rolling Stone magazine.
Watch Lorde’s performance here:
Although it appeared like Iggy was taking a dig at Lorde, the hip-hop singer denies that she was starting a war with her “southern hemispheric soul sister.”
I consider lorde my very talented friend. I find it ironic 2 girls tell the media theyre full of shit & weeks later supposedly I dislike her
— IGGY AZALEA (@IGGYAZALEA) June 9, 2014
My opinion on the makings of a touching musical tribute wasn't meant as some back door way to take a dig at her or the performance she gave. — IGGY AZALEA (@IGGYAZALEA) June 9, 2014
Lorde has remained quiet amid the commotion caused by Iggy’s statement. Iggy, who was previously defended by Lorde against “spineless” music publications, felt bad about how her words were perceived.
sorry if it came across that way, it's not what I intended & I feel genuinely bad about it because I still think lorde is an awesome chick.
— IGGY AZALEA (@IGGYAZALEA) June 9, 2014
And I just don't want to world thinking I don't support the girls, because I do! Anyway I'm off to paint my kitchen! Lots of love. ✌️ — IGGY AZALEA (@IGGYAZALEA) June 9, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Hilarious Reactions For Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Secret Wedding: George Clooney, Jennifer Aniston, Billy Bob Thornton
- ‘Bachelor In Paradise’ Episode 6 Spoilers: Next Week Tests Relationships And Sees A Shocking Exit
- Mila Kunis-Ashton Kutcher Baby; Actor ‘Not Letting Mila Out Of His Sight’
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Exclusive New Trailer, Charlie Hunnam Is Guy Ritchie’s Choice For King Arthur [VIDEO]
- ‘Castle’ Update: Watch Stana Katic, Jon, Seamus Take Bucket Challenge At Season 7 Set, Nathan Fillion Missing [VIDEOS]
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko