FIFA World Cup 2014 Predictions: Match #1 Brazil vs. Croatia
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | June 10, 2014 9:42 AM EST
Brazil 3 Croatia 1
Brazil's Neymar takes photos for a young fan posing with Neymar's teammates on the pitch after a training session in Teresopolis near Rio de Janeiro June 8, 2014.
The very first match of the FIFA World Cup 2014 is going to be held between the host nation Brazil and Croatia. While the South American team will start the tournament as one of the top contenders to win it, their European counterpart will definitely want to start their journey on a positive note.
Brazil: There are enough reasons why Brazil is one of the best teams in the tournament. The beginning of its world cup journey began well as it won the last two friendlies against Panama (4-0) and Serbia (1-0) consecutively in June. With Júlio César protecting the net, captain Thiago Silva in the defence, playmakers like Oscar in the midfield and Hulk-Fred-Neymar trio attacking the opposition; Brazil is guaranteed to be on fire.
Croatia: Croatia too won its pre-world cup friendlies against Mali (2-1) and Australia (1-0). However, one of the key players in the team, Bayern Munich forward Mario Mandžukić will not play this match as he has to serve a one-match suspension due to a red card he received in the second play-off game against Iceland. He is arguably the most influencing player in the team. He happens to be one of the most renowned footballers in Europe. The team loses its sting without Mandžukić. There will be a lot of pressure on midfielder Luka Modric. It will be interesting to see how Croatia will compensate the absence of its top player.
Head to Head
These two teams played against each other 2 times before. Brazil won 1 and the other match ended in a draw. Brazil scored 2 goals and Croatia 1.
Brazil: Neymar, Thiago Silva & Fred
Croatia: Luka Modric
Date, Time & Venue
Brazil's time zone is UTC/GMT -3. The match starts at 5 pm (local time) on June 12, which means it is 6 am on June 13 in New South Wales, Australia. The match will be held in Arena Corinthians in Sao Paulo.
Croatia will be defensive against Brazil as it is aware that even a draw against Brazil will mean a lot for them, keeping the point table in mind. The defensive tactic will be dangerous against an attacking team like Brazil which will win it 3-0.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Guardiola Mockingly States That Man Utd Does Not Have The Means To Acquire Bayern Munich Players
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Superfight Won’t Happen Because Floyd Is Scared Of Left-Handed Boxers, Pacman - Bob Arum
- Serena Williams Shows Off Her Bikini Body With Eva Longoria At The Miami Beach After US Open Victory
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone