FIFA World Cup 2014 Predictions: Match #1 Brazil vs. Croatia
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | June 10, 2014 9:42 AM EST
Brazil 3 Croatia 1
Brazil's Neymar takes photos for a young fan posing with Neymar's teammates on the pitch after a training session in Teresopolis near Rio de Janeiro June 8, 2014.
The very first match of the FIFA World Cup 2014 is going to be held between the host nation Brazil and Croatia. While the South American team will start the tournament as one of the top contenders to win it, their European counterpart will definitely want to start their journey on a positive note.
Brazil: There are enough reasons why Brazil is one of the best teams in the tournament. The beginning of its world cup journey began well as it won the last two friendlies against Panama (4-0) and Serbia (1-0) consecutively in June. With Júlio César protecting the net, captain Thiago Silva in the defence, playmakers like Oscar in the midfield and Hulk-Fred-Neymar trio attacking the opposition; Brazil is guaranteed to be on fire.
Croatia: Croatia too won its pre-world cup friendlies against Mali (2-1) and Australia (1-0). However, one of the key players in the team, Bayern Munich forward Mario Mandžukić will not play this match as he has to serve a one-match suspension due to a red card he received in the second play-off game against Iceland. He is arguably the most influencing player in the team. He happens to be one of the most renowned footballers in Europe. The team loses its sting without Mandžukić. There will be a lot of pressure on midfielder Luka Modric. It will be interesting to see how Croatia will compensate the absence of its top player.
Head to Head
These two teams played against each other 2 times before. Brazil won 1 and the other match ended in a draw. Brazil scored 2 goals and Croatia 1.
Brazil: Neymar, Thiago Silva & Fred
Croatia: Luka Modric
Date, Time & Venue
Brazil's time zone is UTC/GMT -3. The match starts at 5 pm (local time) on June 12, which means it is 6 am on June 13 in New South Wales, Australia. The match will be held in Arena Corinthians in Sao Paulo.
Croatia will be defensive against Brazil as it is aware that even a draw against Brazil will mean a lot for them, keeping the point table in mind. The defensive tactic will be dangerous against an attacking team like Brazil which will win it 3-0.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Novak Djokovic Receives Peugeot 107 Pedal Car For His Newborn
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS