Malaysian Airlines Flight 370: Australian Officials Say Missing Jet Is Near 7th Arc
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 10, 2014 8:31 AM EST
After failing to find the missing Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 in a defined area of the southern Indian Ocean, Australian officials have revised the search to a zone identified as the 7th arc.
Malaysians Prime Minister Najib Razak has hinted that the missing Malaysian Airlines MH370 was almost certainly hijacked.
According to the map released on Thursday by the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB), the new search zone was based on further analysis of the satellite data from Inmarsat on the flight path of the missing Boeing 777 jet, CBS News reports.
The missing jet had a 00:19 local time stamp when it reached the 7th arc, during which it exhausted its fuel and descended, according to the ATSB statement.
Prior to this new information, the focus on the search was more than 60,000 square kilometres of ocean floor scoured by the unmanned Bluefin 21 underwater vehicle, a U.S. Navy robotic submarine. However, the search, based on pings which turned out not to have originated from the black box of the missing aircraft, yielded zero result.
ATSB said this new information would help narrow the search zone in the coming weeks. By August, the agency hopes to start a new search in which it would scan about 21,500 square miles of ocean floor using more advanced sonar equipment.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones