Malaysian Airlines Flight 370: Australian Officials Say Missing Jet Is Near 7th Arc
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 10, 2014 8:31 AM EST
After failing to find the missing Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 in a defined area of the southern Indian Ocean, Australian officials have revised the search to a zone identified as the 7th arc.
Malaysians Prime Minister Najib Razak has hinted that the missing Malaysian Airlines MH370 was almost certainly hijacked.
According to the map released on Thursday by the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB), the new search zone was based on further analysis of the satellite data from Inmarsat on the flight path of the missing Boeing 777 jet, CBS News reports.
The missing jet had a 00:19 local time stamp when it reached the 7th arc, during which it exhausted its fuel and descended, according to the ATSB statement.
Prior to this new information, the focus on the search was more than 60,000 square kilometres of ocean floor scoured by the unmanned Bluefin 21 underwater vehicle, a U.S. Navy robotic submarine. However, the search, based on pings which turned out not to have originated from the black box of the missing aircraft, yielded zero result.
ATSB said this new information would help narrow the search zone in the coming weeks. By August, the agency hopes to start a new search in which it would scan about 21,500 square miles of ocean floor using more advanced sonar equipment.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced
- 'The Hunger Games Mockingjay – Part 1' Banned, Protesters Use Three-fingered Salute In Real Life
- Travel Alert: Malaysia’s AirAsia Cuts Number Of Australian Flights
- Air Canada Expands Vancouver Boeing 787 Dreamliners To Beijing, Seoul, Shanghai, Tokyo-Narita Routes
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan