Malaysian Airlines Flight 370: Australian Officials Say Missing Jet Is Near 7th Arc
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 10, 2014 8:31 AM EST
After failing to find the missing Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 in a defined area of the southern Indian Ocean, Australian officials have revised the search to a zone identified as the 7th arc.
Malaysians Prime Minister Najib Razak has hinted that the missing Malaysian Airlines MH370 was almost certainly hijacked.
According to the map released on Thursday by the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB), the new search zone was based on further analysis of the satellite data from Inmarsat on the flight path of the missing Boeing 777 jet, CBS News reports.
The missing jet had a 00:19 local time stamp when it reached the 7th arc, during which it exhausted its fuel and descended, according to the ATSB statement.
Prior to this new information, the focus on the search was more than 60,000 square kilometres of ocean floor scoured by the unmanned Bluefin 21 underwater vehicle, a U.S. Navy robotic submarine. However, the search, based on pings which turned out not to have originated from the black box of the missing aircraft, yielded zero result.
ATSB said this new information would help narrow the search zone in the coming weeks. By August, the agency hopes to start a new search in which it would scan about 21,500 square miles of ocean floor using more advanced sonar equipment.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 Search Update: New Information Surfaces, Gives ‘Better Idea Of Where The Jet Was Positioned And Travelling'
- Brazilian Women-Only-Town Says No To Marriage, Baptism And Rules Made Up By Men
- Knee Defender Causes Altercation On A Plane: Know About The Device
- Drunk Passengers Force Canada Flight Divert Back to Toronto
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- Verizon on Nationwide Launch of VoLTE
- West Looks Divided in Tackling Russian Invasion In Ukraine