Formula One News: Australian Ricciardo Wins 2014 Canadian Grand Prix
By James Patrick Quizon | June 9, 2014 6:43 PM EST
Daniel Ricciardo of Australia took full advantage of mechanical problems from Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton to win the 2014 Canadian Grand Prix.
Winner Red Bull Formula One driver Daniel Ricciardo of Australia celebrates with the trophy between second placed Mercedes Formula One driver Nico Rosberg of Germany (L) and third placed Red Bull Formula One driver Sebastian Vettel of Germany (R) after the Canadian F1 Grand Prix at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve in Montreal June 8, 2014.
"The more time I spend here, the more comfortable I am," said Ricciardo via Formula One's official website. "A lot of sport comes down to belief: If you truly believe in something, you can make it work."
With some luck, it all worked for the 24-year-old Australian who took the lead for good with two laps to go in the race to give the win for Red Bull their first in 2014. It was also the first career win for Ricciardo, who was joined by Sebastian Vettel on the podium for a 1-3 finish for Red Bull.
"The race came to life at the end. It's still a little bit surreal. It's not like we were leading the whole race, so it's not like I had time to understand that I was going to win," Ricciardo added.
Rosberg ended up in second place while Hamilton did not finish the race because of overheated brakes.
“Managed to stay ahead until the second pit stop and we had a problem in the pit stop and I think that’s the main thing. I dropped behind as a result. From then on I didn’t really know what was going on because I lost a lot of power so very slow down the straights, so just trying to hang on, trying to put qualifying laps all the time but it didn’t quite work out against Ricciardo, against Daniel.”
Ricciardo has now 79 points to improve to third overall for the season. Rosberg is still first with 140 points and Hamilton is in second with 118 points. Both are from Mercedes, who has dominated this season and now has a 258-to-139 lead over Red Bull in the teams standings.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage