Formula One News: Australian Ricciardo Wins 2014 Canadian Grand Prix
By James Patrick Quizon | June 9, 2014 6:43 PM EST
Daniel Ricciardo of Australia took full advantage of mechanical problems from Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton to win the 2014 Canadian Grand Prix.
Winner Red Bull Formula One driver Daniel Ricciardo of Australia celebrates with the trophy between second placed Mercedes Formula One driver Nico Rosberg of Germany (L) and third placed Red Bull Formula One driver Sebastian Vettel of Germany (R) after the Canadian F1 Grand Prix at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve in Montreal June 8, 2014.
"The more time I spend here, the more comfortable I am," said Ricciardo via Formula One's official website. "A lot of sport comes down to belief: If you truly believe in something, you can make it work."
With some luck, it all worked for the 24-year-old Australian who took the lead for good with two laps to go in the race to give the win for Red Bull their first in 2014. It was also the first career win for Ricciardo, who was joined by Sebastian Vettel on the podium for a 1-3 finish for Red Bull.
"The race came to life at the end. It's still a little bit surreal. It's not like we were leading the whole race, so it's not like I had time to understand that I was going to win," Ricciardo added.
Rosberg ended up in second place while Hamilton did not finish the race because of overheated brakes.
“Managed to stay ahead until the second pit stop and we had a problem in the pit stop and I think that’s the main thing. I dropped behind as a result. From then on I didn’t really know what was going on because I lost a lot of power so very slow down the straights, so just trying to hang on, trying to put qualifying laps all the time but it didn’t quite work out against Ricciardo, against Daniel.”
Ricciardo has now 79 points to improve to third overall for the season. Rosberg is still first with 140 points and Hamilton is in second with 118 points. Both are from Mercedes, who has dominated this season and now has a 258-to-139 lead over Red Bull in the teams standings.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Proves He Can Read, Releases An Audio Of Him Reading
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group A Preview, Prediction, Roster, Schedule: Spain and Brazil To Clinch Top 2 Spots, France, Serbia, And Iran To Battle For Remaining Slots
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Team Preview: Puerto Rico Roster, Key Players And Schedule
- Kevin Love Tells Minnesota Timberwolves Owner Glen Taylor To Mind His Own Team
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Google Nexus 6 Release May Be the New Google Nexus X Smartphone as New Details Emerge