Formula One News: Australian Ricciardo Wins 2014 Canadian Grand Prix
By James Patrick Quizon | June 9, 2014 6:43 PM EST
Daniel Ricciardo of Australia took full advantage of mechanical problems from Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton to win the 2014 Canadian Grand Prix.
Winner Red Bull Formula One driver Daniel Ricciardo of Australia celebrates with the trophy between second placed Mercedes Formula One driver Nico Rosberg of Germany (L) and third placed Red Bull Formula One driver Sebastian Vettel of Germany (R) after the Canadian F1 Grand Prix at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve in Montreal June 8, 2014.
"The more time I spend here, the more comfortable I am," said Ricciardo via Formula One's official website. "A lot of sport comes down to belief: If you truly believe in something, you can make it work."
With some luck, it all worked for the 24-year-old Australian who took the lead for good with two laps to go in the race to give the win for Red Bull their first in 2014. It was also the first career win for Ricciardo, who was joined by Sebastian Vettel on the podium for a 1-3 finish for Red Bull.
"The race came to life at the end. It's still a little bit surreal. It's not like we were leading the whole race, so it's not like I had time to understand that I was going to win," Ricciardo added.
Rosberg ended up in second place while Hamilton did not finish the race because of overheated brakes.
“Managed to stay ahead until the second pit stop and we had a problem in the pit stop and I think that’s the main thing. I dropped behind as a result. From then on I didn’t really know what was going on because I lost a lot of power so very slow down the straights, so just trying to hang on, trying to put qualifying laps all the time but it didn’t quite work out against Ricciardo, against Daniel.”
Ricciardo has now 79 points to improve to third overall for the season. Rosberg is still first with 140 points and Hamilton is in second with 118 points. Both are from Mercedes, who has dominated this season and now has a 258-to-139 lead over Red Bull in the teams standings.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tasks Engineers to Create the Perfect Tennis Racquet [VIDEO]
- LeBron James and Cleveland Cavaliers the Team to Beat in the East – Paul George
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Renewed Hope for Blues, as Paul Pogba's Agent Revealed that 'Anything is Possible'
- UFC 183: Anderson Silva vs. Nick Diaz Receives Mixed Reactions on Twitter
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff