Formula One News: Australian Ricciardo Wins 2014 Canadian Grand Prix
By James Patrick Quizon | June 9, 2014 6:43 PM EST
Daniel Ricciardo of Australia took full advantage of mechanical problems from Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton to win the 2014 Canadian Grand Prix.
Winner Red Bull Formula One driver Daniel Ricciardo of Australia celebrates with the trophy between second placed Mercedes Formula One driver Nico Rosberg of Germany (L) and third placed Red Bull Formula One driver Sebastian Vettel of Germany (R) after the Canadian F1 Grand Prix at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve in Montreal June 8, 2014.
"The more time I spend here, the more comfortable I am," said Ricciardo via Formula One's official website. "A lot of sport comes down to belief: If you truly believe in something, you can make it work."
With some luck, it all worked for the 24-year-old Australian who took the lead for good with two laps to go in the race to give the win for Red Bull their first in 2014. It was also the first career win for Ricciardo, who was joined by Sebastian Vettel on the podium for a 1-3 finish for Red Bull.
"The race came to life at the end. It's still a little bit surreal. It's not like we were leading the whole race, so it's not like I had time to understand that I was going to win," Ricciardo added.
Rosberg ended up in second place while Hamilton did not finish the race because of overheated brakes.
“Managed to stay ahead until the second pit stop and we had a problem in the pit stop and I think that’s the main thing. I dropped behind as a result. From then on I didn’t really know what was going on because I lost a lot of power so very slow down the straights, so just trying to hang on, trying to put qualifying laps all the time but it didn’t quite work out against Ricciardo, against Daniel.”
Ricciardo has now 79 points to improve to third overall for the season. Rosberg is still first with 140 points and Hamilton is in second with 118 points. Both are from Mercedes, who has dominated this season and now has a 258-to-139 lead over Red Bull in the teams standings.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- USA Defeats Lithuania, 96-68; Americans Advance To Championship Round Of 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Miami Heat Prepare For Life Without LeBron James, To Feature More Of Wade And Bosh In New System
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers