Formula One News: Australian Ricciardo Wins 2014 Canadian Grand Prix
By James Patrick Quizon | June 9, 2014 6:43 PM EST
Daniel Ricciardo of Australia took full advantage of mechanical problems from Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton to win the 2014 Canadian Grand Prix.
Winner Red Bull Formula One driver Daniel Ricciardo of Australia celebrates with the trophy between second placed Mercedes Formula One driver Nico Rosberg of Germany (L) and third placed Red Bull Formula One driver Sebastian Vettel of Germany (R) after the Canadian F1 Grand Prix at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve in Montreal June 8, 2014.
"The more time I spend here, the more comfortable I am," said Ricciardo via Formula One's official website. "A lot of sport comes down to belief: If you truly believe in something, you can make it work."
With some luck, it all worked for the 24-year-old Australian who took the lead for good with two laps to go in the race to give the win for Red Bull their first in 2014. It was also the first career win for Ricciardo, who was joined by Sebastian Vettel on the podium for a 1-3 finish for Red Bull.
"The race came to life at the end. It's still a little bit surreal. It's not like we were leading the whole race, so it's not like I had time to understand that I was going to win," Ricciardo added.
Rosberg ended up in second place while Hamilton did not finish the race because of overheated brakes.
“Managed to stay ahead until the second pit stop and we had a problem in the pit stop and I think that’s the main thing. I dropped behind as a result. From then on I didn’t really know what was going on because I lost a lot of power so very slow down the straights, so just trying to hang on, trying to put qualifying laps all the time but it didn’t quite work out against Ricciardo, against Daniel.”
Ricciardo has now 79 points to improve to third overall for the season. Rosberg is still first with 140 points and Hamilton is in second with 118 points. Both are from Mercedes, who has dominated this season and now has a 258-to-139 lead over Red Bull in the teams standings.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Celebs: Struggle With Drug Addiction
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- Khloe Kardashian Sympathetic About Ex-Husband Lamar Odom in Recent Instagram Posts
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market