Confirmed: Nadal is Clay Court King, Wins 2014 French Open [PHOTOS]
By James Patrick Quizon | June 9, 2014 5:56 PM EST
Rafael Nadal proved two things Sunday at the 2014 French Open: he is the clay court king and he is the world's number one player. The Spaniard beat Serbian rival Novak Djokovic in relatively easy four sets, 3-6,7-5, 6-2, 6-4 in the final at Roland Garros.
For the critics that are still in doubt of Nadal's greatness, here are a few facts on this Grand Slam win; 9th overall French Open title and the 9th in the last 10 years in the major in Paris; and fifth straight since 2010. All figures are French Open all-time records and most likely will never be broken by any other player.
“I was so strong. I really wanted to defeat him,” Nadal said via the tournament's official website. "I suffered quite a lot, but I found solutions. When there were problems cropping up, I managed to find the solutions when the moments were very difficult. I succeeded. I managed to win the match and the tournament.”
What the Spaniard didn't say was that he totally outclassed Djokovic on this one. The latter won the last four matches versus Nadal before the French Open final but has now lost two straight to his rival in the last two majors championship.
After a shaky first set and a close second, Nadal turned up the Heat in the third and fourth sets.
View the slide show for Nadal's winning moments in the 2014 French Open.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Novak Djokovic Receives Peugeot 107 Pedal Car For His Newborn
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS