Confirmed: Nadal is Clay Court King, Wins 2014 French Open [PHOTOS]
By James Patrick Quizon | June 9, 2014 5:56 PM EST
Rafael Nadal proved two things Sunday at the 2014 French Open: he is the clay court king and he is the world's number one player. The Spaniard beat Serbian rival Novak Djokovic in relatively easy four sets, 3-6,7-5, 6-2, 6-4 in the final at Roland Garros.
For the critics that are still in doubt of Nadal's greatness, here are a few facts on this Grand Slam win; 9th overall French Open title and the 9th in the last 10 years in the major in Paris; and fifth straight since 2010. All figures are French Open all-time records and most likely will never be broken by any other player.
“I was so strong. I really wanted to defeat him,” Nadal said via the tournament's official website. "I suffered quite a lot, but I found solutions. When there were problems cropping up, I managed to find the solutions when the moments were very difficult. I succeeded. I managed to win the match and the tournament.”
What the Spaniard didn't say was that he totally outclassed Djokovic on this one. The latter won the last four matches versus Nadal before the French Open final but has now lost two straight to his rival in the last two majors championship.
After a shaky first set and a close second, Nadal turned up the Heat in the third and fourth sets.
View the slide show for Nadal's winning moments in the 2014 French Open.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Lamar Odom’s Hope Of Reuniting With Khloe Kardashian Crushed, ‘KUWTK’ Star Reportedly Dating Wiz Khalifa
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier