Confirmed: Nadal is Clay Court King, Wins 2014 French Open [PHOTOS]
By James Patrick Quizon | June 9, 2014 5:56 PM EST
Rafael Nadal proved two things Sunday at the 2014 French Open: he is the clay court king and he is the world's number one player. The Spaniard beat Serbian rival Novak Djokovic in relatively easy four sets, 3-6,7-5, 6-2, 6-4 in the final at Roland Garros.
For the critics that are still in doubt of Nadal's greatness, here are a few facts on this Grand Slam win; 9th overall French Open title and the 9th in the last 10 years in the major in Paris; and fifth straight since 2010. All figures are French Open all-time records and most likely will never be broken by any other player.
“I was so strong. I really wanted to defeat him,” Nadal said via the tournament's official website. "I suffered quite a lot, but I found solutions. When there were problems cropping up, I managed to find the solutions when the moments were very difficult. I succeeded. I managed to win the match and the tournament.”
What the Spaniard didn't say was that he totally outclassed Djokovic on this one. The latter won the last four matches versus Nadal before the French Open final but has now lost two straight to his rival in the last two majors championship.
After a shaky first set and a close second, Nadal turned up the Heat in the third and fourth sets.
View the slide show for Nadal's winning moments in the 2014 French Open.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics, Swimming Schedule & Results
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal