Confirmed: Nadal is Clay Court King, Wins 2014 French Open [PHOTOS]
By James Patrick Quizon | June 9, 2014 5:56 PM EST
Rafael Nadal proved two things Sunday at the 2014 French Open: he is the clay court king and he is the world's number one player. The Spaniard beat Serbian rival Novak Djokovic in relatively easy four sets, 3-6,7-5, 6-2, 6-4 in the final at Roland Garros.
For the critics that are still in doubt of Nadal's greatness, here are a few facts on this Grand Slam win; 9th overall French Open title and the 9th in the last 10 years in the major in Paris; and fifth straight since 2010. All figures are French Open all-time records and most likely will never be broken by any other player.
“I was so strong. I really wanted to defeat him,” Nadal said via the tournament's official website. "I suffered quite a lot, but I found solutions. When there were problems cropping up, I managed to find the solutions when the moments were very difficult. I succeeded. I managed to win the match and the tournament.”
What the Spaniard didn't say was that he totally outclassed Djokovic on this one. The latter won the last four matches versus Nadal before the French Open final but has now lost two straight to his rival in the last two majors championship.
After a shaky first set and a close second, Nadal turned up the Heat in the third and fourth sets.
View the slide show for Nadal's winning moments in the 2014 French Open.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Evander Holyfield Says That He Didn’t Make Comments About Floyd Mayweather Fighting With Manny Pacquiao
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best