Confirmed: Nadal is Clay Court King, Wins 2014 French Open [PHOTOS]
By James Patrick Quizon | June 9, 2014 5:56 PM EST
Rafael Nadal proved two things Sunday at the 2014 French Open: he is the clay court king and he is the world's number one player. The Spaniard beat Serbian rival Novak Djokovic in relatively easy four sets, 3-6,7-5, 6-2, 6-4 in the final at Roland Garros.
For the critics that are still in doubt of Nadal's greatness, here are a few facts on this Grand Slam win; 9th overall French Open title and the 9th in the last 10 years in the major in Paris; and fifth straight since 2010. All figures are French Open all-time records and most likely will never be broken by any other player.
“I was so strong. I really wanted to defeat him,” Nadal said via the tournament's official website. "I suffered quite a lot, but I found solutions. When there were problems cropping up, I managed to find the solutions when the moments were very difficult. I succeeded. I managed to win the match and the tournament.”
What the Spaniard didn't say was that he totally outclassed Djokovic on this one. The latter won the last four matches versus Nadal before the French Open final but has now lost two straight to his rival in the last two majors championship.
After a shaky first set and a close second, Nadal turned up the Heat in the third and fourth sets.
View the slide show for Nadal's winning moments in the 2014 French Open.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- WWE Update: Bray Wyatt’s Twitter Post Hints Upcoming Fight With Sting [VIDEO]
- Rafael Nadal Gives Li Na Flowers, A Teary Farewell At Beijing China Open
- Muslim NFL Player Husain Abdullah Penalised For Praying After Touchdown
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Samsung Aware Of Gap Issue On Galaxy Note 4, Mentions It As Important Manufacturing Feature In Note 4 User Manual
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money