Jeremy Lin News: JLin To Be Traded Soon, Rockets Confident in Moving PG
By Lou Ramon Aguila | June 9, 2014 5:03 PM EST
The Houston Rockets are confident they can move both Jeremy Lin and Omer Asik in their attempt to create more cap spaces as they look to add an All-Star caliber player this offseason, a source close to situation reported on Saturday.
Reuters/ Andrew Richa
Apr 30, 2014; Houston, TX, USA; Houston Rockets guard Jeremy Lin (7) reacts to a play during the second quarter against the Portland Trail Blazers in game five of the first round of the 2014 NBA Playoffs at Toyota Center.
The Rockets are determined to give their current lineup a big boost by signing an elite free-agent this summer. New York Knicks forward Carmelo Anthony is rumoured as the most likely target for Houston, who failed to reach beyond the first-round in their last two postseason appearances.
But in order for the Rockets to have a chance to get James Harden and Dwight Howard some help, sacrifices are ought to be made in the coming weeks. Lin and Asik are expected to earn $15 million each in the final year of their back-loaded contracts (with $8 million cap hit), and the Rockets are apparently enthused in using these assets as their trade chips.
Jonathan Feigen of the Houston Chronicle reported on the Rockets' plan to unload Lin and Asik via trade. Last week, Yahoo Sports disclosed the Rockets' intention to let rising star Chandler Parsons test the free-agency market as a restricted free-agent.
Unlike last season when the Rockets were looking for compensation in exchange for Asik, general manager Daryl Morey wants to just get Asik and Lin's contract off the books - a move that could save them around $30 million in salaries and create $16 million in cap spaces.
"According to an individual familiar with the Rockets' plans, they are confident they would be able to move Lin and Asik's contracts because unlike their failed efforts to trade Asik last season, they would be looking to clear cap room, rather than bring back rotation players with similar contracts," Feigen stated in his article.
While Lin and Asik were important rotation players for the Rockets, Morey and his front office team are looking on a bigger price by netting Anthony or perhaps Kevin Love in a trade.
However, Harden doesn't sound much intrigued by the idea of bringing another star in the lineup, as he believed they have all the tools to win the championship.
"I think we have a lot in our locker room already. A couple of smaller moves would be good for us. I don't know if necessarily the big move would help us out a lot. We have a lot of great players in our locker room, a lot of young guys that want to get better and want to work. Maybe a couple small moves and we're right where we want to be," Harden said in an interview with Feigen.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Taking a Time Off in August Amidst Miscarriage & Adopting a Child Claims
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tasks Engineers to Create the Perfect Tennis Racquet [VIDEO]
- LeBron James and Cleveland Cavaliers the Team to Beat in the East – Paul George
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Renewed Hope for Blues, as Paul Pogba's Agent Revealed that 'Anything is Possible'
- UFC 183: Anderson Silva vs. Nick Diaz Receives Mixed Reactions on Twitter
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Ahead of iPhone 6 Sept 2014 Debut; Specced-Up but Remains Plastic-Wrapped – Reports
- LG G2 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Guide: When to Hit Your Region and How to Install
- Update Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini with Android 4.4.2 KitKat
- LG G3 To Debut Moon Violet and Burgundy Red Shades in August; Upcoming LG Devices Roundup