Jeremy Lin News: JLin To Be Traded Soon, Rockets Confident in Moving PG
By Lou Ramon Aguila | June 9, 2014 5:03 PM EST
The Houston Rockets are confident they can move both Jeremy Lin and Omer Asik in their attempt to create more cap spaces as they look to add an All-Star caliber player this offseason, a source close to situation reported on Saturday.
Reuters/ Andrew Richa
Apr 30, 2014; Houston, TX, USA; Houston Rockets guard Jeremy Lin (7) reacts to a play during the second quarter against the Portland Trail Blazers in game five of the first round of the 2014 NBA Playoffs at Toyota Center.
The Rockets are determined to give their current lineup a big boost by signing an elite free-agent this summer. New York Knicks forward Carmelo Anthony is rumoured as the most likely target for Houston, who failed to reach beyond the first-round in their last two postseason appearances.
But in order for the Rockets to have a chance to get James Harden and Dwight Howard some help, sacrifices are ought to be made in the coming weeks. Lin and Asik are expected to earn $15 million each in the final year of their back-loaded contracts (with $8 million cap hit), and the Rockets are apparently enthused in using these assets as their trade chips.
Jonathan Feigen of the Houston Chronicle reported on the Rockets' plan to unload Lin and Asik via trade. Last week, Yahoo Sports disclosed the Rockets' intention to let rising star Chandler Parsons test the free-agency market as a restricted free-agent.
Unlike last season when the Rockets were looking for compensation in exchange for Asik, general manager Daryl Morey wants to just get Asik and Lin's contract off the books - a move that could save them around $30 million in salaries and create $16 million in cap spaces.
"According to an individual familiar with the Rockets' plans, they are confident they would be able to move Lin and Asik's contracts because unlike their failed efforts to trade Asik last season, they would be looking to clear cap room, rather than bring back rotation players with similar contracts," Feigen stated in his article.
While Lin and Asik were important rotation players for the Rockets, Morey and his front office team are looking on a bigger price by netting Anthony or perhaps Kevin Love in a trade.
However, Harden doesn't sound much intrigued by the idea of bringing another star in the lineup, as he believed they have all the tools to win the championship.
"I think we have a lot in our locker room already. A couple of smaller moves would be good for us. I don't know if necessarily the big move would help us out a lot. We have a lot of great players in our locker room, a lot of young guys that want to get better and want to work. Maybe a couple small moves and we're right where we want to be," Harden said in an interview with Feigen.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales