Miss USA Crowns Miss Nevada Nia Sanchez to Represent in Miss Universe 2014
By Riza Ornos | June 9, 2014 4:24 PM EST
Crowned as the 63rd Miss USA, Miss Nevada Nia Sanchez is the newest American beauty besting 50 other contestants from all the states and the District of Columbia for the prestigious title.
Miss USA 2013 Erin Brady of South Glastonbury, Conn., crowned the new queen at the Baton Rouge River Center in Louisiana on June 8. Miss North Dakota Audra Mari got the first runner-up, followed by Miss Georgia Tiana Griggs for second runner-up and Miss Brittany Guidry for third runner-up.
Miss Florida Brittany Oldenhoff and Miss Iowa Carlyn Bradarich were hailed fourth and fifth runners-up, respectively. Miss California, Miss Maryland, Miss South Carolina and Miss Wisconsin were the other four contestants included in the pageant's Top 10.
Sanchez, a fourth-degree black belter in the Korean martial arts of taekwondo. The new Miss USA is from Las Vegas who got her second chance to win the crown when she won the most votes in Twitter. In the pageant's first-ever "Save the Queen" option, the 24-year-old beauty titlist was the first queen to be saved and proved everybody right when she claimed the throne.
Wearing a vivacious red floor-length fishtail gown, Sanchez wowed the audience and the judges when she talked about the importance of women being able to defend themselves. Judge Rumer Willis, the 25-year-old daughter of Bruce Willis and Demi Moore, said "19 percent of U.S. undergraduate women are victims of sexual assault and asked Sanchez why she thinks this is being swept under the rug and what should be done about it."
Sanchez said bringing awareness to the issue was important, as well as women taking it upon themselves to learn how to defend themselves," according to a report posted on Miami Herald.
Miss USA 2014 Sanchez will be representing the country in the upcoming Miss Universe 2014 later this year, as she follows the footsteps of Miss USA 2013 Erin Brady and Miss Universe 2013 Olivia Culpo.
Hosted by E! Online Giuliana Rancic and Thomas Roberts, the Miss USA 2014 pageant was an annual event from Donald Trump's Miss Universe's organization.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘America’s Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Finale Performance Episode Recap, Spoilers: 6 Finalists Perform Their Last Acts To Win Finals
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Winner Predictions: Fellow Contestants And Betting Odds Predict Who Could Win Mirror Ball Trophy
- ‘American Horror Story’ Season 4 ‘Freak Show’ Update: Skyler Samuels Roped In To Play Pivotal Role, Extended Teaser Released [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson And FKA Twigs Romance: Singer’s Twitter Post Sparks Pregnancy Reports Speculating The Couple Is Expecting Their First Baby
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Season 2 Preview: Sam’s Fairy Tale Date, Belly Dancing Time, Who Exits
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone