Malaysian Airlines Flight 370: Oil Rig Worker Who Claims Seeing Malaysian Airlines Jet Crash Fired from Work
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 8, 2014 11:55 PM EST
Because of his email to his employer of what he saw, New Zealander Mick McKay lost his job at an oil rig. McKay claimed to have seen the missing Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 on fire and eventually crash.
A man travelling on a stolen passport on the missing Malaysian Airlines flight MH370 was a young Iranian who has no links to terrorists.
The email was leaked and word got around of what McKay saw, but his company couldn't handle the number of calls resulting from the oil rigger's witness account that it released him five days ahead of schedule, although he was paid full.
McKay explained, quoted by The Sunday Star-Times in New Zealand, "This became intolerable for them and I was removed from the rig and not invited back."
The number of calls blocked the communications of the rig operator and owner.
McKay provided his exact location, compass bearing of the jet and details of the weather on March 8, the day that MH 370 went disappeared while on its way to Beijing with 239 people on board. The compass bearing was 265* to 275*, while the surface location was Lat 08 22' 30.20" N Lat 108 42.22/26" E/.
The email also included his full name and passport which enabled media to trace his employer, Idemitsu, which runs the Songa Mercu oil rig owned by Songa Offshore, at that time off the Vietnamese coast.
In his email, McKay was quoted as saying, "While I observed the burning (plane) it appeared to be in ONE piece."
McKay's account was used by journalist and author Nigel Cawthorne, who wrote the first book on the missing aircraft, to support his theory that the plane was shot during a military exercise after it stopped communicating with air traffic controllers.
The latest theory is the plane ran out of fuel.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Who Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers