‘Dr. Strange’ Actor: Jared Leto Wanted By Marvel, Fans React
By Tanya Diente | June 8, 2014 9:59 PM EST
With Marvel's "Dr. Strange" finalizing its director, reports have been pointing at Jared Leto to fill in the role of Dr. Stephen Strange, which brought out various reactions from his fans.
"Dr. Strange" has found its director, according to Geektyrant, in Scott Derrickson, the man behind "Sinister" and "The Day The Earth Stood Still."
Currently, the hunt is on for the actor who will portray the character of Dr. Stephen Strange. According to Marvel, Dr. Strange will be the next big hub for the Marvel Universe.
Badass Digest reported Marvel is interested in casting Jared Leto to play Dr. Stephen Strange in the movie adaptation of "Dr. Strange." Leto recently won best supporting actor in the Oscar Academy Awards for his role as a transvestite in "The Dallas Buyers Club." Aside from acting, Leto is known for his singing prowess, being the lead singer for the all-male band "30 Seconds To Mars."
The story of "Dr. Strange" follows Dr. Stephen Strange, a high class and cocky neurosurgeon. Stephen Strange or Dr. Strange gets into an accident and hurts his hand badly enough to end his career. Jobless, he travels to the Himalayas and becomes a student of the Ancient One and learns magic.
Dr. Strange becomes Earth's sorcerer supreme who defends all manner of mystical threats. He battles the Dread Dormmamu, the villain in previous drafts of the movie script for "Dr. Strange."
Fans of the "Dr. Strange" comic book series are questioning whether Leto would fit the role of Dr. Stephen Strange. Leto may have won best supporting actor, but his last big studio film was way back 2005 in "Lord of War."
Leto also starred in the 2002 movie, "Panic Room," as one of the bad guys. The 42-year-old actor turned singer also claimed to be picky on his choices of roles, since he looks for that quality material in every role that he is to play. He has also been devoting much of his time with his band, "30 Seconds To Mars."
"Dr. Strange" and Leto fans will know the outcome of this rumor in July, when Marvel announces details on its production for "Dr.Strange" in Hall H.
Below are some twitter fans' reactions on reports Leto will play as Stephen Strange in Marvel's "Dr. Strange."
Jared leto as dr strange lmao no thanks ??? Literally no thanks
— miles morales (@cabIepool) June 6, 2014
Jared Leto as Dr. Strange? YES PLEASE!!! http://t.co/v8xa0KYIuI — Will Green (@hotgazpacho) June 5, 2014
Jared Leto as Dr. Strange. Interesting. I feel like he has to be taller though...
— AP (@Prudenciado_) June 5, 2014
Oh no. Look, I would do Jared Leto through the floor, but please do NOT let him be cast as Dr. Strange. — Ashly (@newageamazon) June 4, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Castle Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic says ‘Back in the Saddle’, Beckett, Castle Romance to Grow Stronger
- Selena Gomez & Andre Hamann Update: Andre Calls Selena Stunning, Admits Crush on Singer
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- BlackBerry Passport Video Leak, Release Date, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate [Watch YouTube Clip] --Reports