Jennifer Lopez Bronx Neighbors Think She's 'Sellout And Hypocrite,' 'Boycotting' Her Show
By Annie Dee | June 8, 2014 9:52 PM EST
Jennifer Lopez has not forgotten where she started her first-ever performance in Bronx. The "Jenny for the Block" singer finally revisited her roots and staged a free show at the Orchard Beach.
Singers and judges Keith Urban (L), Jennifer Lopez and Harry Connick, Jr. pose at the party for the finalists of "American Idol XIII" in West Hollywood, California February 20, 2014.
The show was sponsored by State Farm Neighborhood Sessions. But the turnout was quite lower than expected, according to Radar Online. The site also reported the locals were not happy J.Lo was back to their neighborhood, calling her a hypocrite will be boycotting her show.
The American Idol performed her first ever hometown concert in Bronx, where she entertained the goers with an emotional mix of old and new songs. The Latina star, 44, paid homeage to her legendary 2000 Grammy dress by Versace, probably to complete the "throwback" show, Mail Online UK claimed.
"This is such an amazing moment for me, I'm so happy to be home. Doing this tonight is honestly a dream come true for me. Where my Latinos at?! That's right, we're in here!" Lopez said as she came onstage, smiling in a dress with very familiar prints.
Even the crowd of 25,000 fans danced and cheered for their idol, Radar Online claimed this was not the welcome J.Lo actually expected. Radar Online reported this was because the locals were not that excited that Lopez was giving a free concert. For them, Lopez already had forsaken them when she became famous.
Locals have a beef with the singer who claimed she loves the "block" in her "Jenny from the Block" music.
"She definitely wasn't staying in the Bronx," an insider told Radar. "Instead, she got an apartment in Chelsea. She's such a hypocrite."
The Latina diva's former neighbors did not have the nicest things to say either.
"She's been making all this money on [the Bronx] but she doesn't even help out the neighborhood," one local, Matthew McNally griped to the New York Post. "Most of the people I know think she's a sellout."
Another local, Justin McGinn added, "I don't think she's done enough for the community....[Locals] feel like she's a sellout and she took too long to come back."
According to the Post, among 25,000 free tickets issued, "well under half the expected number of fans showed up."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kate Middleton Will Name Second Child Diana, Camilla Parker-Bowles Not Invited to Prince George’s Birthday - Reports
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez's Mystery Man Identified as Businessman Tommy Chiabra, Singer Flirts and Shares Same Towel with Him -- Reports
- NCIS Season 12 Spoilers: Fans Fear Cote de Pablo Not Coming Back, Tony DiNozzo Moving On from Ziva David
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon