Jennifer Lopez Bronx Neighbors Think She's 'Sellout And Hypocrite,' 'Boycotting' Her Show
By Annie Dee | June 8, 2014 9:52 PM EST
Jennifer Lopez has not forgotten where she started her first-ever performance in Bronx. The "Jenny for the Block" singer finally revisited her roots and staged a free show at the Orchard Beach.
Singers and judges Keith Urban (L), Jennifer Lopez and Harry Connick, Jr. pose at the party for the finalists of "American Idol XIII" in West Hollywood, California February 20, 2014.
The show was sponsored by State Farm Neighborhood Sessions. But the turnout was quite lower than expected, according to Radar Online. The site also reported the locals were not happy J.Lo was back to their neighborhood, calling her a hypocrite will be boycotting her show.
The American Idol performed her first ever hometown concert in Bronx, where she entertained the goers with an emotional mix of old and new songs. The Latina star, 44, paid homeage to her legendary 2000 Grammy dress by Versace, probably to complete the "throwback" show, Mail Online UK claimed.
"This is such an amazing moment for me, I'm so happy to be home. Doing this tonight is honestly a dream come true for me. Where my Latinos at?! That's right, we're in here!" Lopez said as she came onstage, smiling in a dress with very familiar prints.
Even the crowd of 25,000 fans danced and cheered for their idol, Radar Online claimed this was not the welcome J.Lo actually expected. Radar Online reported this was because the locals were not that excited that Lopez was giving a free concert. For them, Lopez already had forsaken them when she became famous.
Locals have a beef with the singer who claimed she loves the "block" in her "Jenny from the Block" music.
"She definitely wasn't staying in the Bronx," an insider told Radar. "Instead, she got an apartment in Chelsea. She's such a hypocrite."
The Latina diva's former neighbors did not have the nicest things to say either.
"She's been making all this money on [the Bronx] but she doesn't even help out the neighborhood," one local, Matthew McNally griped to the New York Post. "Most of the people I know think she's a sellout."
Another local, Justin McGinn added, "I don't think she's done enough for the community....[Locals] feel like she's a sellout and she took too long to come back."
According to the Post, among 25,000 free tickets issued, "well under half the expected number of fans showed up."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Monday Night Football Recap: Chicago Bears 27, New York Jets 19
Join the Conversation
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Spoilers: Queen Elsa Of 'Frozen' May Not Be The Big Villain (Premiere Date In A Week's Time)
- Rihanna Nude Photos Leaked – The Fappening 2: Second Wave Of Celebrities Nude Pictures Leak on 4chan And Reddit
- 'Castle' Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic's Kate Beckett, NYPD To Discover The Real Rick Castle
- 'Under The Dome' Season 2 Finale Spoilers: An Exit Route Appears But Not Everyone Gets Out Alive, 'Under The Dome' Season 3 Update [VIDEO]
- Bruce Jenner Sex Change Reports Resurface As He Shaves His Leg, Behaves Feminine Inside A Coffee Shop
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?