Jennifer Lopez Bronx Neighbors Think She's 'Sellout And Hypocrite,' 'Boycotting' Her Show
By Annie Dee | June 8, 2014 9:52 PM EST
Jennifer Lopez has not forgotten where she started her first-ever performance in Bronx. The "Jenny for the Block" singer finally revisited her roots and staged a free show at the Orchard Beach.
Singers and judges Keith Urban (L), Jennifer Lopez and Harry Connick, Jr. pose at the party for the finalists of "American Idol XIII" in West Hollywood, California February 20, 2014.
The show was sponsored by State Farm Neighborhood Sessions. But the turnout was quite lower than expected, according to Radar Online. The site also reported the locals were not happy J.Lo was back to their neighborhood, calling her a hypocrite will be boycotting her show.
The American Idol performed her first ever hometown concert in Bronx, where she entertained the goers with an emotional mix of old and new songs. The Latina star, 44, paid homeage to her legendary 2000 Grammy dress by Versace, probably to complete the "throwback" show, Mail Online UK claimed.
"This is such an amazing moment for me, I'm so happy to be home. Doing this tonight is honestly a dream come true for me. Where my Latinos at?! That's right, we're in here!" Lopez said as she came onstage, smiling in a dress with very familiar prints.
Even the crowd of 25,000 fans danced and cheered for their idol, Radar Online claimed this was not the welcome J.Lo actually expected. Radar Online reported this was because the locals were not that excited that Lopez was giving a free concert. For them, Lopez already had forsaken them when she became famous.
Locals have a beef with the singer who claimed she loves the "block" in her "Jenny from the Block" music.
"She definitely wasn't staying in the Bronx," an insider told Radar. "Instead, she got an apartment in Chelsea. She's such a hypocrite."
The Latina diva's former neighbors did not have the nicest things to say either.
"She's been making all this money on [the Bronx] but she doesn't even help out the neighborhood," one local, Matthew McNally griped to the New York Post. "Most of the people I know think she's a sellout."
Another local, Justin McGinn added, "I don't think she's done enough for the community....[Locals] feel like she's a sellout and she took too long to come back."
According to the Post, among 25,000 free tickets issued, "well under half the expected number of fans showed up."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports