Apple's Swift Bared: Its Whereabouts Exposed
By Naveena Joy | June 8, 2014 9:39 PM EST
Apple has rolled out Swift, a new programming language that has gotten a huge round of applause from the audience.
The Verge reported "it's easy to understand this is a big deal." Apple's traditional choice of language, Objective-C, has been working for Macs, iPhones and iPads from the time it started in about 30 years. For Apple, it is bound to bring in something new from the developing side.
Apple CEO Tim Cook departs the stage following his keynote address at the Worldwide Developers Conference in San Francisco, California.
Apple promises that Swift is considerably faster to execute than Python and faster than Objective-C. But CNET also cited the language also supports "playgrounds" within the Xcode developer environment that visualizes Swift code like a scripting language.
The next big thing about Swift as the Verge suggests is that the programmers can write their codes and see the results in real time. In comparison to the old tradition, developers writing line after line of code in the text box, then compiling the results is a lengthy, painful and productivity denting task.
With Swift, the developers in the same coding environment can see the changes happen right away by punching in a parameter or algorithm. This results in faster understanding of the concepts in a lesser time.
To summarize, CNET cited the ability to quickly and easily test apps the moment it is written is highly potential for developers in creating complex apps faster. Swift can make a major impact on the compilation and testing process as it enables application developers to release more thoroughly tested apps quickly.
Also, Swift is a short language where writing is minimal and could speed up app development.
If Swift proves to faster than Objective-C, then it could also see impressive graphics in games with the help of Apple's new Metal interface and more compatibility from other apps without buying a new phone.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge and Note 4 Designer Secrets: Behind The Materials, Edge Screen And S Pen
- Sony Xperia Z3, Z1, Z1 Compact And Z Ultra Latest Firmware 23.0.A.2.108 And 14.4.A.0.155 Certified
- Android 5.0 Lollipop For Sony Xperia Z Devices Arriving By 2015; Z Ultra GPE Update Confirmed In 2014
- 'The Sims 4' Mac Version: Bugs, Missing Elements Players Must Be Prepared Of
- 'Destiny' vs. 'Titanfall': New Legendary Gears Spotted And Update 8 Features Detailed
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories