Apple's Swift Bared: Its Whereabouts Exposed
By Naveena Joy | June 8, 2014 9:39 PM EST
Apple has rolled out Swift, a new programming language that has gotten a huge round of applause from the audience.
The Verge reported "it's easy to understand this is a big deal." Apple's traditional choice of language, Objective-C, has been working for Macs, iPhones and iPads from the time it started in about 30 years. For Apple, it is bound to bring in something new from the developing side.
Apple CEO Tim Cook departs the stage following his keynote address at the Worldwide Developers Conference in San Francisco, California.
Apple promises that Swift is considerably faster to execute than Python and faster than Objective-C. But CNET also cited the language also supports "playgrounds" within the Xcode developer environment that visualizes Swift code like a scripting language.
The next big thing about Swift as the Verge suggests is that the programmers can write their codes and see the results in real time. In comparison to the old tradition, developers writing line after line of code in the text box, then compiling the results is a lengthy, painful and productivity denting task.
With Swift, the developers in the same coding environment can see the changes happen right away by punching in a parameter or algorithm. This results in faster understanding of the concepts in a lesser time.
To summarize, CNET cited the ability to quickly and easily test apps the moment it is written is highly potential for developers in creating complex apps faster. Swift can make a major impact on the compilation and testing process as it enables application developers to release more thoroughly tested apps quickly.
Also, Swift is a short language where writing is minimal and could speed up app development.
If Swift proves to faster than Objective-C, then it could also see impressive graphics in games with the help of Apple's new Metal interface and more compatibility from other apps without buying a new phone.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- Before Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire: TwitchPlaysPokemon Goes X and Y, More Events and More Gym Leader Info
- PS4 News: 2 Possible Sets of PS Plus Games for August 2014 Leaked and Additional Features for PS4
- Android 4.4.3 and 4.4.4 KitKat Still Delayed for Samsung Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy S4 and Galaxy Note 3
- Xbox One News: Games with Gold for August Announced; Updates for Progress in China
- The SIMS 4 on Sept 2 Release: Low Demands Specs, No Toddlers or Pools and 3 Premium Packs
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell
- Hilary Duff's New Music Video Chasing the Sun Goes Viral on YouTube [WATCH VIDEO]
- LeBron James to Return to Miami, Face Heat on Christmas Day 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report