Best in the World Battle for Roland Garros Title: Novak Djokovic vs. Rafael Nadal in the 2014 French Open Final
By James Patrick Quizon | June 8, 2014 2:56 PM EST
The best players in the world meet in the final match of the 2014 French Open—a perfect ending for what was another memorable and highly-charged Grand Slam run at Roland Garros. No. 1 vs. No. 2, Rafael Nadal of Spain vs. Novak Djokovic of Serbia.
Rafael Nadal of Spain wipes his body with a towel after winning his men's semi-final match against Andy Murray of Britain at the French Open tennis tournament at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris June 6, 2014.
“He beat me four times but he never beat me here,” confidently says Nadal via the tournament’s official website.
Djokovic concedes that he may not be the favourite despite winning four straight against Nadal before the final in Roland Garros.
“I think there is no doubt that he is the favourite to win the title there. But, OK, I have been playing some good tennis … Rome a few weeks ago against him in the final definitely gives me confidence and hopefully self-belief before our match,” said Djokovic.
Still the pre-tournament tabs on both won’t matter much after the first serve is taken. In their head-to-head match-ups in their careers, Nadal holds the slight edge, 22-19.
Djokovic has taken the last four, all matches for a championship; at the ATP World Tour Masters 1000 in Rome Italy, 4-6, 6-3, 6-3; ATP World Tour Masters 1000 in Miami, Florida, 6-3, 6-3; ATP World Tour Finals in Great Britain, 6-3, 6-4; and the China Open, 6-3, 6-4.
Still, Nadal is the top seed and when the rivals met in this big a stage—the 2013 US Open—it was the Spaniard who came out on top 6-2, 3-6, 6-4, 6-1.
Nadal is targeting for his 9th title in Roland Garros while Djokovic is aiming for his 9th Grand Slam title overall and the 3rd at the French Open. Will Nadal reign in clay or can Djokovic continue his recent domination of the Spaniard?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Michael Schumacher Condition: Manager Sabine Kehm Says The 7-Time World Champion Is Making ‘Progress Appropriate To The Severity Of His Situation’
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft
- Nuclear War: Putin Certain To Launch Battle To Avoid Corruption Charges, Whistleblower Claims