Best in the World Battle for Roland Garros Title: Novak Djokovic vs. Rafael Nadal in the 2014 French Open Final
By James Patrick Quizon | June 8, 2014 2:56 PM EST
The best players in the world meet in the final match of the 2014 French Open—a perfect ending for what was another memorable and highly-charged Grand Slam run at Roland Garros. No. 1 vs. No. 2, Rafael Nadal of Spain vs. Novak Djokovic of Serbia.
Rafael Nadal of Spain wipes his body with a towel after winning his men's semi-final match against Andy Murray of Britain at the French Open tennis tournament at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris June 6, 2014.
“He beat me four times but he never beat me here,” confidently says Nadal via the tournament’s official website.
Djokovic concedes that he may not be the favourite despite winning four straight against Nadal before the final in Roland Garros.
“I think there is no doubt that he is the favourite to win the title there. But, OK, I have been playing some good tennis … Rome a few weeks ago against him in the final definitely gives me confidence and hopefully self-belief before our match,” said Djokovic.
Still the pre-tournament tabs on both won’t matter much after the first serve is taken. In their head-to-head match-ups in their careers, Nadal holds the slight edge, 22-19.
Djokovic has taken the last four, all matches for a championship; at the ATP World Tour Masters 1000 in Rome Italy, 4-6, 6-3, 6-3; ATP World Tour Masters 1000 in Miami, Florida, 6-3, 6-3; ATP World Tour Finals in Great Britain, 6-3, 6-4; and the China Open, 6-3, 6-4.
Still, Nadal is the top seed and when the rivals met in this big a stage—the 2013 US Open—it was the Spaniard who came out on top 6-2, 3-6, 6-4, 6-1.
Nadal is targeting for his 9th title in Roland Garros while Djokovic is aiming for his 9th Grand Slam title overall and the 3rd at the French Open. Will Nadal reign in clay or can Djokovic continue his recent domination of the Spaniard?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy