Best in the World Battle for Roland Garros Title: Novak Djokovic vs. Rafael Nadal in the 2014 French Open Final
By James Patrick Quizon | June 8, 2014 2:56 PM EST
The best players in the world meet in the final match of the 2014 French Open—a perfect ending for what was another memorable and highly-charged Grand Slam run at Roland Garros. No. 1 vs. No. 2, Rafael Nadal of Spain vs. Novak Djokovic of Serbia.
Rafael Nadal of Spain wipes his body with a towel after winning his men's semi-final match against Andy Murray of Britain at the French Open tennis tournament at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris June 6, 2014.
“He beat me four times but he never beat me here,” confidently says Nadal via the tournament’s official website.
Djokovic concedes that he may not be the favourite despite winning four straight against Nadal before the final in Roland Garros.
“I think there is no doubt that he is the favourite to win the title there. But, OK, I have been playing some good tennis … Rome a few weeks ago against him in the final definitely gives me confidence and hopefully self-belief before our match,” said Djokovic.
Still the pre-tournament tabs on both won’t matter much after the first serve is taken. In their head-to-head match-ups in their careers, Nadal holds the slight edge, 22-19.
Djokovic has taken the last four, all matches for a championship; at the ATP World Tour Masters 1000 in Rome Italy, 4-6, 6-3, 6-3; ATP World Tour Masters 1000 in Miami, Florida, 6-3, 6-3; ATP World Tour Finals in Great Britain, 6-3, 6-4; and the China Open, 6-3, 6-4.
Still, Nadal is the top seed and when the rivals met in this big a stage—the 2013 US Open—it was the Spaniard who came out on top 6-2, 3-6, 6-4, 6-1.
Nadal is targeting for his 9th title in Roland Garros while Djokovic is aiming for his 9th Grand Slam title overall and the 3rd at the French Open. Will Nadal reign in clay or can Djokovic continue his recent domination of the Spaniard?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Final: USA Vs. Serbia Live Streaming Info, Key Players And Preview
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Manchester United News: Man Utd. vs QPR Preview
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Reports Indicate Mayweather Has 2 Girlfriends: Bad Medina & Liza Hernandez
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date