Top 5 Killer Features of Apple OS X 10.10 Yosemite
By Pavithra Rathinavel | June 8, 2014 11:26 AM EST
During the WWDC 2014, Apple spent quite a lot of time showcasing the Mac OS X 10.10, dubbed Yosemite. The new desktop-based operating system OS X Yosemite is the successor of OS X Mavericks from 2013.
Along with many features and enhancements, the new OS X version has introduced a brand new interface. The OS X Yosemite comes with an uncluttered interface with sharp and defined icons located at the bottom of the Mac. In addition, there is a wide range of productivity enhancement features added in the new OS X.
This OS update bundles improved notification center, a refined search mode, and a whole new style of connecting the MacBook to other Apple devices, says Business News Daily. It is worth noting that, the latest Yosemite is presently available in beta form. The final version will be released in fall 2014.
Here is a list of top 5 features from Apple's latest OS X Yosemite.
Apple's iCloud allows users to sync contacts, photos, music, and apps, among others in the cloud. With the latest Yosemite, the iCloud Drive now allows users to sync files across devices with an easy 'drag and drop' interface, says Business News Daily.
With this new addition, Apple is catching up with other prominent cloud storage providers like Google Drive, Box and DropBox.
Make and Receive Calls from Mac
Apple has introduced a killer feature in Yosemite that will be appreciated by all Mac users alike. Users can now make and receive voice/phone calls via Mac.
No More Missing Messages
The constant user-complaint with Macs is the missing text messages. The text messages sent from smartphones other than iPhones were not reaching the Macs in the past. But now Apple has fixed the issue with Yosemite. Therefore, Mac users will not miss any messages sent from smartphones other than iPhones.
Improved Spotlight Search
With the latest Yosemite update, upon clicking the magnifying glass icon housed in the top right corner of the desktop, a Spotlight search bar pops out with 'wider' search interface/bar. In addition, the search bar now comes with the capability to auto-predict search strings tied to apps, file names and maps, says Mashable.
For those unfamiliar with Spotlight, it is a useful feature in OS X that provides optimized file searches. With the latest OS X Yosemite, the file search mechanism has further improved.
Amplified AirDrop Functionality
AirDrop has now got the ability to transfer documents and other type of files between iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite.
For those unfamiliar with AirDrop, this service enables users to transfer files between a compatible Mac computer and an iOS mobile device, without having to use a mass storage device.
It is worth noting that, AirDrop was first introduced in iOS 7 and OS X 10.7 to share files, photos and videos. This service uses the device's Wi-Fi and Bluetooth functionality to help with the transfer. Nevertheless, this useful functionality was not letting users to move files between iOS device and the Mac, with the earlier version of OS X.
What do you think of the new features introduced in OS X? Feel free to leave a comment.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 to Feature Retina Scanner Challenging iPad Retina and iPhone 6
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs. OnePlus One—Specifications, Features, Release Date and Price Showdown
- These 2 Questions Reveal if You Unwittingly Abuse Alcohol
- Jennifer Lopez and Her Wild 45th Birthday Party: How JLo’s Life-Size Birthday Cake from SamiCakes Boutique Was Made
- Blake Griffin’s Back Injury Is the Reason for His Withdrawal from Team U.S.A.
- Supernatural Season 10 Spoilers: Metatron Capable of Saving Castiel's Fading Grace
- Anderson Silva To Test the Octagon Anew After Freak Leg Injury, To Fight Nick Diaz in 2015