Chelsea FC News: Blues Manager Confirms Playmaker's Exit, But Reveals Possibility of a Return
By Mark Wayne Eubank | June 6, 2014 10:19 PM EST
Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho confirmed that veteran playmaker Frank Lampard will no longer be a part of the Blues squad next season, at least on the pitch, but revealed that the latter may take part in a different role.
“Mr Abramovich - the No.1, the most important person - wants very much for Frank to be back, I want him to be back, the staff want him to be back, so he comes back, for sure.” - Jose Mourinho on Frank Lampard
"You can't imagine how difficult it was," the Portuguese boss told Sky Sports.
"But at the same time, I can feel some happiness about the process because, for sure, he comes back to Chelsea."
Lampard, who is an iconic figure at Stamford Bridge, having played 13 seasons with them since arriving in 2001, will be given a privilege by owner Roman Abramovich to return to west London in any capacity that he may want.
"Mr Abramovich - the No.1, the most important person - wants very much for Frank to be back, I want him to be back, the staff want him to be back, so he comes back, for sure," he added.
"The other thing is that he can come back the way he wants. Mr Abramovich has left the door completely open for him on the understanding Frank can do anything he wants at this club."
"He can come back when he wants and, to repeat Mr Abramovich's words, the way he wants.""He can be a coach, he can start at the academy, he can start being my assistant at the same time because he is doing his coaching badges or he can start in a different role."
"It's not the end of Frank Lampard's career in Chelsea. It's just a little break."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions