Same-Sex Marriage in Australia 'Now Allowed' Using British Laws
By Reissa Su | June 6, 2014 5:14 PM EST
Same-sex couples who wish to get married in Australia can currently do so follwoing British laws. According to reports, gay couples where one is a British citizen can now be allowed to marry on June 27 in British consulates located in Sydney and Perth. Other cities in Australia like Melbourne, Brisbane and Canberra is scheduled to follow.
A gay couple poses next to a cake before a symbolic group wedding on Valentine's Day in Lima February 14, 2012. REUTERS
Hundreds of Australian same-sex couples are expected to get married as they begin to process and book their ceremonies either in Perth or Sydney. According to reports, the move is expected to put more pressure on the Abbott government to allow conscience vote on the issue of marriage equality reform.
In March, the Abbott government had said there was no problem with British consulates being used for same-sex marriage ceremonies since gay marriage was legalized in England and Wales. Using British laws for same-sex couples to wed in Australia was praised by marriage equality advocates as one step forward to reform Australia's marriage laws.
But gay couples who get married under British laws will not be recognized in Australia. Reports said the recognition of gay marriages held in other countries is still under deliberation in the Parliament. Rodney Croome, Australian Marriage Equality national director, said almost 300 same-sex couples from Australia went to New Zealand to get married since the Kiwi government approved the legalization of gay marriage.
Gay rights advocates in Australia have praised New Zealand for recognizing gay marriage. Mark Proffit from Sydney's Rainbow Tourism said same-sex couples are going to New Zealand to get married since it is considered illegal in Australia.
The High Court of Australia has overturned ACT's legislation in December 2013 allowing same-sex marriages. The ACT Parliament had passed a same-sex marriage bill in October which made it the first state to legalize gay marriage in Australia. But the victory proved to be temporary as the federal government challenged the ACT's bill for being inconsistent with federal laws.
Croome said Australia is now "playing catch-up" with other nations on the issue of marriage reforms. He expected the British consulate weddings in June will reignite the debate in the Parliament.
Aside from Australia, the UK government announced same-sex couples will be allowed to get married in British consulates in Azerbaijan, Bolivia, Cambodia, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Japan, Kosovo, Latvia, Mongolia, Montenegro, Nicaragua, Peru, Philippines, Russia, San Marino, Serbia and Vietnam.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Spotted All Smiles, Sickness Seems Over
- 14 Contestants For Miss Hitler 2014 Beauty Pageant Organised By Russian Equivalent Of Facebook
- ISIS Crucifies Teenage Boy For Filming Syrian Base; Image Of Baby Girl Being Beheaded Found [VIDEO]
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Planning Christmas With Her Family In Anmer Hall, Norfolk--Report
- How Australian Father Stabbed 11-Year-Old Son Dead, More Details Emerge
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks