How to Root and Install CWM on Nexus 7 Running Android 4.4.3 KTU84L KitKat
By Ryan Inoyori | June 6, 2014 4:42 PM EST
Once you've updated your ASUS Nexus 7 2013 tablet, you now have the option to gain root access and install a custom recovery such as ClockworkMod which allows flashing of custom ROMs and management of certain applications.
Rooting the ASUS Nexus 7 2013 requires certain files and some knowledge with the Command Window due to a command line needed for execution. Additionally, you need to setup the Android SDK and Fastboot to perform the procedure based on Team Android.
1. ASUS Nexus 7 2013 tablet running Android 4.4.3 KitKat KTU84L build version.
2. Manually backup all stored files and settings on your tablet.
3. It should have at least 70 per cent battery level.
4. Enable USB debugging mode on your device.
5. Download the necessary USB drivers on your computer for ASUS Nexus 7 2013.
6. Download and install the Android SDK on your computer.
7. Download the Fastboot tools according to the OS of your machine then extract all the contents to the "android-sdk-windows/platform-tools" directory.
a. Windows PC
b. MAC OS
c. Linux OS
8. Setup the ADB and Fastboot with Android SDK on your computer before rooting the device.
Warning: We are not responsible for any errors which may occur on your Nexus 7 tablet. Download and install the required files to preventing issues to happen. Do this at your own risk.
1. Connect your ASUS Nexus 7 2013 tablet to the computer using a USB cable.
2. Transfer the SuperSu zip file to the internal storage aka SD card of your tablet.
3. Turn off the Nexus 7 tablet.
4. Go back to the computer and transfer the files of ClockworkMod custom recovery to the "android-sdk-windows/platform-tools" directory.
5. Reboot the tablet into Boot loader mode by pressing and holding Volume Down and Power keys at the same time.
6. Go back to the computer and go to "android-sdk-windows/platform-tools" directory then open a Command Window. Press the Shift key on the keyboard then right-click inside the folder to open a Command Window.
7. Type in the following commands in the Command Window and then press the Enter key:
a. "fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-126.96.36.199-flo.img" (exclude the quotation marks).
8. Once the installation has been completed, select "recovery" to go to Recovery mode.
9. Now select "install/flash from zip from SD card > choose zip from SD card > select the SuperSU zip file > confirm installation."
10. Go back to the main menu and select "reboot system now." Your device may take up to five minutes before reaching the home screen.
11. To check the root access status, download the Root Checker app from the Play Store or go to the App Menu and look for the SuperSU app.
If you have any bugs or issues, please send your feedback to the official thread of Team Android.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Motorola Droid Turbo v. Sony Xperia Z3: Camera Details, Battery Life And Durability
- ‘GTA V': 1.18 Update, Zombie DLC Release Date To Welcome Halloween
- Motorola Droid Turbo vs. Samsung Galaxy S5: Apps And Services, Camera Features, Battery Life And Durability
- 'Dragon Age Keep' Guide: How To Use And Set Up Background Story For 'Dragon Age Inquisition'
- Google Nexus 6 Sold-Out Inventory: Android 5.0, Motorola-Nexus Branding, Network Carriers, Competitive Price
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family