How to Root and Install CWM on Nexus 7 Running Android 4.4.3 KTU84L KitKat
By Ryan Inoyori | June 6, 2014 4:42 PM EST
Once you've updated your ASUS Nexus 7 2013 tablet, you now have the option to gain root access and install a custom recovery such as ClockworkMod which allows flashing of custom ROMs and management of certain applications.
Rooting the ASUS Nexus 7 2013 requires certain files and some knowledge with the Command Window due to a command line needed for execution. Additionally, you need to setup the Android SDK and Fastboot to perform the procedure based on Team Android.
1. ASUS Nexus 7 2013 tablet running Android 4.4.3 KitKat KTU84L build version.
2. Manually backup all stored files and settings on your tablet.
3. It should have at least 70 per cent battery level.
4. Enable USB debugging mode on your device.
5. Download the necessary USB drivers on your computer for ASUS Nexus 7 2013.
6. Download and install the Android SDK on your computer.
7. Download the Fastboot tools according to the OS of your machine then extract all the contents to the "android-sdk-windows/platform-tools" directory.
a. Windows PC
b. MAC OS
c. Linux OS
8. Setup the ADB and Fastboot with Android SDK on your computer before rooting the device.
Warning: We are not responsible for any errors which may occur on your Nexus 7 tablet. Download and install the required files to preventing issues to happen. Do this at your own risk.
1. Connect your ASUS Nexus 7 2013 tablet to the computer using a USB cable.
2. Transfer the SuperSu zip file to the internal storage aka SD card of your tablet.
3. Turn off the Nexus 7 tablet.
4. Go back to the computer and transfer the files of ClockworkMod custom recovery to the "android-sdk-windows/platform-tools" directory.
5. Reboot the tablet into Boot loader mode by pressing and holding Volume Down and Power keys at the same time.
6. Go back to the computer and go to "android-sdk-windows/platform-tools" directory then open a Command Window. Press the Shift key on the keyboard then right-click inside the folder to open a Command Window.
7. Type in the following commands in the Command Window and then press the Enter key:
a. "fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-126.96.36.199-flo.img" (exclude the quotation marks).
8. Once the installation has been completed, select "recovery" to go to Recovery mode.
9. Now select "install/flash from zip from SD card > choose zip from SD card > select the SuperSU zip file > confirm installation."
10. Go back to the main menu and select "reboot system now." Your device may take up to five minutes before reaching the home screen.
11. To check the root access status, download the Root Checker app from the Play Store or go to the App Menu and look for the SuperSU app.
If you have any bugs or issues, please send your feedback to the official thread of Team Android.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge and Note 4 Designer Secrets: Behind The Materials, Edge Screen And S Pen
- Android 5.0 Lollipop For Sony Xperia Z Devices Arriving By 2015; Z Ultra GPE Update Confirmed In 2014
- 'The Sims 4' Mac Version: Bugs, Missing Elements Players Must Be Prepared Of
- 'Destiny' vs. 'Titanfall': New Legendary Gears Spotted And Update 8 Features Detailed
- 'World Of Warcraft' ‘The Iron Tide' 6.0.2 Patch Hotfixes Update Including New Resolved Issues Regarding Scenarios, Raids, Classes, Battlegrounds And Arenas
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions