11-month Old Left Paralysed by Flu Vaccine Receives Settlement
By Athena Yenko | June 6, 2014 4:25 PM EST
In 2010, 11-month old Saba Button was left paralysed due to brain, kidney, and liver damage and bone marrow failure caused by flu vaccine Fluvax. She suffered prolonged seizures after the shot.
Saba's parents lodged a case in the Federal Court against the Fluvax manufacturer, CSl Limited.
On Friday, June 6, parties had finally agreed to a settlement with which details were agreed to be confidential.
Saba had suffered hypoxic brain injury and consequential, severe disabilities, Federal Court Justice Michael Barker ruled.
"Her life expectancy has been significantly shortened. Her disabilities are profound and permanent. She will require constant care for the remainder of her life," Barker said.
The confidential settlement reportedly involved "a substantial figure, plus a contribution toward legal cost," according to a statement from Saba's parents. They said that the settlement, believed to be millions of dollars, will all be spent on Saba's future care needs.
Before Saba's controversial case, there were already more than 100 of reported cases showing adverse reaction on children who received the flu shot. There were also numerous reports and presentations from PMH, but all information were kept from the general public, a report from Perth Now dated April 2011 said.
Investigations following Saba's case found that there were serious deficiency and slow response time from both state and federal authorities in addressing related cases. The Department of Health's Communicable Disease Control Directorate was informed of a significant rise in adverse reactions in early April 2010 but did not take any further action while they gathered data, according to the report.
In 2010, Health Minister Kim Hames said that suspending the flu vaccine programme due to a case like Saba's was one of the darkest days she have had as health minister.
"To be told our childhood influenza vaccination program might be putting Western Australian children at serious risk was nothing short of devastating. I remember being told a series of presentations of children with febrile convulsions had presented to PMH and at least one was in the hospital's intensive care unit. We suspended the program within hours, a full day before the Commonwealth followed suit and suspended the program nationally," Hames said.
Three days following Saba's admission to the intensive care at the Princess Margaret Hospital, Fluvax was immediately recalled and was banned from children under five years old.
A 2012 study from the federal Health Department's Therapeutic Goods Administration revealed that Fluvax triggers side effects four times compared to two rival vaccines.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos and Fellatio Video Hacker Could Face 10 Years In Prison
- Scam: Jennifer Lawrence’s Nude Photos Solidarity Campaign Deceives Women Into Snapping Naked Selfies
- Islamic State: Mother of 2nd Beheading Victim Steven Sotloff Appealed To IS Last Week, Jihadist John Is Still The Knife Wielder
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones