The Law of Attraction: Study Finds It takes Time to Love Unattractive People
By Silvana Peters | June 6, 2014 4:10 PM EST
While most people find the beginning stages of a relationship to be the most exciting, it's oftentimes the most difficult. Attractiveness and one's exterior qualities are given the most weight because generally, people are more attracted to those who are well, attractive.
A couple hold hands as they walk through downtown Sydney with their shopping from Australian department store retailer Myer, March 6, 2014. REUTERS/Jason Reed
As people only begin to get to know each other, the physical aspects of a person are the most highly accentuated because it is the one that's easily identified.
However, a recent study conducted by the University of Texas, Austin found that even though people would find beautiful people more attractive at first, over time, opinions change and as people get to know each other better, other important characteristics attract us.
In order to delve deeper into mate value, the research consisted of three experiments, "In Study 1, participants described their personal conceptions of mate value and revealed themes consistent with classic and relational approaches. Study 2 used a social relations model blocked design to assess target and relationship variances in participants' romantic evaluations of opposite-sex classmates at the beginning and end of the semester. In Study 3, a one-with-many design documented target and relationship variances among long-term opposite-sex acquaintances."
"Despite the unbalanced distribution of desirable traits in the population, mating pursuits take place on a more-or-less even playing field in which most people have a strong chance of being satisfied with their romantic outcomes," explained Dr. Paul Eastwick as quoted by Medial Daily , assistant professor in the department of human development and family sciences, and Lucy L. Hunt, a doctoral student.
In the beginning stages of a relationship, while other desirable qualities like one's physique, strength, charisma and professional success may make women swoon, those characteristics that separate the haves from the have nots, uniqueness can also be measured.
According the the article on the subject published by the , Eastwick summarizes his findings by saying that as people spend more time with each other and get to know one another better, the consensus about desirable traits decreases and more emphasis is placed on one's uniqueness and personality traits.
There is hope for everyone, "So if you do not have a high mate value, take heart. All you need is for others to have the patience to get to know you, and a more level playing field should follow," concluded the author
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Search Efforts Not Affected by MH17 Recovery; Australia Still Committed to Solving Mystery
- Australian Woman Charged for Adultery in Lebanon for Visiting Boyfriend
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- Humans at Their Worst: MH17 Victims' Credit Cards Used in Ukraine, Phones 'Answered' by Strangers
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales