The Law of Attraction: Study Finds It takes Time to Love Unattractive People
By Silvana Peters | June 6, 2014 4:10 PM EST
While most people find the beginning stages of a relationship to be the most exciting, it's oftentimes the most difficult. Attractiveness and one's exterior qualities are given the most weight because generally, people are more attracted to those who are well, attractive.
A couple hold hands as they walk through downtown Sydney with their shopping from Australian department store retailer Myer, March 6, 2014. REUTERS/Jason Reed
As people only begin to get to know each other, the physical aspects of a person are the most highly accentuated because it is the one that's easily identified.
However, a recent study conducted by the University of Texas, Austin found that even though people would find beautiful people more attractive at first, over time, opinions change and as people get to know each other better, other important characteristics attract us.
In order to delve deeper into mate value, the research consisted of three experiments, "In Study 1, participants described their personal conceptions of mate value and revealed themes consistent with classic and relational approaches. Study 2 used a social relations model blocked design to assess target and relationship variances in participants' romantic evaluations of opposite-sex classmates at the beginning and end of the semester. In Study 3, a one-with-many design documented target and relationship variances among long-term opposite-sex acquaintances."
"Despite the unbalanced distribution of desirable traits in the population, mating pursuits take place on a more-or-less even playing field in which most people have a strong chance of being satisfied with their romantic outcomes," explained Dr. Paul Eastwick as quoted by Medial Daily , assistant professor in the department of human development and family sciences, and Lucy L. Hunt, a doctoral student.
In the beginning stages of a relationship, while other desirable qualities like one's physique, strength, charisma and professional success may make women swoon, those characteristics that separate the haves from the have nots, uniqueness can also be measured.
According the the article on the subject published by the , Eastwick summarizes his findings by saying that as people spend more time with each other and get to know one another better, the consensus about desirable traits decreases and more emphasis is placed on one's uniqueness and personality traits.
There is hope for everyone, "So if you do not have a high mate value, take heart. All you need is for others to have the patience to get to know you, and a more level playing field should follow," concluded the author
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- ISIS War to Last For 4 Years; US Military Shows Videos of Airstrikes Hitting Militant Base [VIDEO]
- Australia's Chance Of El Niño Rises To 70%; Heatwaves And Drought To Persist
- Australia Joins Global Effort to Stop Russian Website From Illegally Streaming Web Cam Feeds
- Woman Gets Killed After Falling Off Cliff During Expedition Near Mermaid Pool
- ‘Drunk Girl in Public' Actress Apologises; Actor Tells Dr. Drew He Thought It Was Comedy Skit
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports