Dave Coulier Clears Up Urban Legend: ‘I’m Not The Guy in Alanis Morissette’s ‘You Oughta Know’ [VIDEO]
By Anne Lu | June 6, 2014 4:06 PM EST
Former “Full House” star Dave Coulier isn’t the “jerk” Alanis Morissette was referring to in her ‘90s hit song “You Oughta Know.” The “urban legend” that he was the subject of the song was refuted by the actor himself, who dated the Grammy-winning songstress before the track was released.
“You Oughta Know” was Morissette’s first single from her third studio album “Jagged Little Pill.” It was released in 1995, and had helped the Canadian singer attain worldwide fame.
With its popularity, the curiosity about the subject of the song followed, with rumours claiming Morissette was referring to ex-boyfriend Coulier in the song.
Ironically, it was Coulier who started that rumour.
The 54-year-old actor has now admitted that he didn’t exactly tell the truth when he claimed he was it.
“I think it’s just really funny that it’s become this urban legend, so many years after the fact,” he told Buzzfeed.
“I dated Alanis in 1992. You know, it’s just funny to be the supposed subject of that song,” he confessed.
“First of all, the guy in that song is a real a-hole, so I don’t want to be that guy. Secondly, I asked Alanis, ‘I’m getting calls by the media and they want to know who this guy is.’ And she said, ‘Well, you know it could be a bunch of people. But you can say whatever you want.’
“So one time, I was doing a red carpet somewhere and [the press] just wore me down and everybody wanted to know so I said, ‘Yeah, all right, I’m the guy. There I said it.’ So then it became a snowball effect of, ‘OH! So you are the guy!’
“It’s just become this silly urban legend that I just have to laugh at.”
Morissette herself has been vague about the topic.
In an interview with The Vancouver Sun in 2008, she refused to confirm or deny the said urban legend.
“Well, I’ve never talked about who my songs were about and I won’t because when I write them, they’re written for the sake of personal expression,” she said.
“So with all due respect to whomever may see themselves in my songs, and it happens all the time, I never really comment on it because I write these songs for myself. I don’t write them for other people.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS