Dave Coulier Clears Up Urban Legend: ‘I’m Not The Guy in Alanis Morissette’s ‘You Oughta Know’ [VIDEO]
By Anne Lu | June 6, 2014 4:06 PM EST
Former “Full House” star Dave Coulier isn’t the “jerk” Alanis Morissette was referring to in her ‘90s hit song “You Oughta Know.” The “urban legend” that he was the subject of the song was refuted by the actor himself, who dated the Grammy-winning songstress before the track was released.
“You Oughta Know” was Morissette’s first single from her third studio album “Jagged Little Pill.” It was released in 1995, and had helped the Canadian singer attain worldwide fame.
With its popularity, the curiosity about the subject of the song followed, with rumours claiming Morissette was referring to ex-boyfriend Coulier in the song.
Ironically, it was Coulier who started that rumour.
The 54-year-old actor has now admitted that he didn’t exactly tell the truth when he claimed he was it.
“I think it’s just really funny that it’s become this urban legend, so many years after the fact,” he told Buzzfeed.
“I dated Alanis in 1992. You know, it’s just funny to be the supposed subject of that song,” he confessed.
“First of all, the guy in that song is a real a-hole, so I don’t want to be that guy. Secondly, I asked Alanis, ‘I’m getting calls by the media and they want to know who this guy is.’ And she said, ‘Well, you know it could be a bunch of people. But you can say whatever you want.’
“So one time, I was doing a red carpet somewhere and [the press] just wore me down and everybody wanted to know so I said, ‘Yeah, all right, I’m the guy. There I said it.’ So then it became a snowball effect of, ‘OH! So you are the guy!’
“It’s just become this silly urban legend that I just have to laugh at.”
Morissette herself has been vague about the topic.
In an interview with The Vancouver Sun in 2008, she refused to confirm or deny the said urban legend.
“Well, I’ve never talked about who my songs were about and I won’t because when I write them, they’re written for the sake of personal expression,” she said.
“So with all due respect to whomever may see themselves in my songs, and it happens all the time, I never really comment on it because I write these songs for myself. I don’t write them for other people.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jennifer Lawrence’s Nude Photos and Videos Leaked by 4Chan Hacker; Ariana Grande, Lea Michele, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Kate Upton’s Also Included
- Celebrities’ Leaked Nude Photos: Master-List Printed, Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian, Kate Upton, Jennifer Lawrence, Kaley Cuoco, Rihanna, More Names On It
- Nude Photos Leaked: Mary Elizabeth Winstead Says Nude Photos Hers, Faces Backlash, Takes Twitter Break
- ‘The Leftovers’: Episode 10 On Hold, Renewed For Season 2, Season 1 Finale Synopsis And Preview [VIDEO]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans