'22 JumpStreet' Spoilers: Scene Relates to Jonah Hill Gay Slur, Director Says ‘It’s Disappointing’
By Tanya Diente | June 6, 2014 3:25 PM EST
"22 Jumpstreet" movie director Christopher Miller thinks "it's disappointing" to hear Jonah Hill use the gay slur and also finds it ironic that one scene in "22 Jumpstreet" talks about why any gay slur shouldn't be used.
Cast member Jonah Hill arrives for the premiere of "22 Jump Street" in New York June 4, 2014.
"22 Jumpstreet" movie directors Phil Lord and Christopher Miller are disheartened to hear about the gay slur outburst from one of the "22 Jumpstreet" stars, Jonah Hill.
"It obviously was really disappointing," Miller told BuzzFeed upon learning that Jonah Hill had used the gay slur. "It was surprising because it was not the Jonah that we know. He's a very sweet and generous person," he added.
"22 Jumpstreet" star Jonah Hill had issued an emotional apology, for using the gay slur, at the "Tonight Show With Jimmy Fallon" Tuesday. Hill asked viewers to use him as an example of what not to do. "22 Jumpstreet" movie director Phil Lord agrees with Jonah Hill and said "Hopefully it will do what he's saying. It will remind people why that's a shitty thing to say to people." Ironically, there's a scene in "22 Jumpstreet" that explicitly discusses the gay slur and why it shouldn't be used.
Warning: Spoilers for "22 Jumpstreet" ahead. Read at your own risk.
In "22 Jumpstreet" a scene shows Jonah Hill and co-star Channing Tatum go undercover at a university. The scene centers on Tatum as he takes a human sexuality class that opens his mind to the perils of homophobic speech. Then one student uses a gay slur very similar to what Jonah Hill said to the paparazzo. Then the scene directs to Tatum's reaction- he explodes in anger and lectures the student on why he cannot use the gay slur.
"22 Jumpstreet" director Christopher Miller said the scene shows Tatum's character growth of being at college. It's where Tatum opens himself up to new ideas. However, Phil Lord wonders how that scene in "22 Jumpstreet" would play out now, considering that Jonah Hill had used a gay slur on a paparazzo. Lord is curious how it would affect people's experience of the movie.
"22 Jumpstreet" director Christopher Miller said Jonah Hill is a sincere and good person. So he hopes that it won't affect the movie in any way. Miller also appealed to all Jonah Hill fans that the "22 Jumpstreet" star is not the kind of person who hurls gay slurs for no reason and hopes that people will see that.
"22 Jumpstreet," according to theguardian is the outrageous and very immature sequel to "21 Jumpstreet," where it proves that a movie franchise doesn't have to be awful. "22 Jumpstreet" brings out the gags, the stunts, and the riffs like there's no tomorrow.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Shocking Inside Stories Of Prince Charles and Princess Diana Revealed By Former Press Officer
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Spoilers: Queen Elsa Of 'Frozen' May Not Be The Big Villain (Premiere Date In A Week's Time)
- Another Celebrity Nude Photo Leak: Naked Pics Of Liam Payne And Kim Kardashian Uploaded Online
- Madonna Posts Video Of Son Hailed As Possibly The Next Dancing Prodigy
- Rihanna Nude Photos Leaked – The Fappening 2: Second Wave Of Celebrities Nude Pictures Leak on 4chan And Reddit
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues