Beau Ryan Retires from NRL, Messages of Support Pour on Twitter
By Ma Evelyn Castino Quilas | June 6, 2014 3:09 PM EST
Messages of support pour on Twitter after Cronulla Sharks winger Beau Ryan announced his immediate retirement from the National Rugby League (NRL) team due to neck injury.
The 29-year-old former West Tigers star announced his retirement at The Footy Show. "After speaking with my family and the club doctor I've made the decision to end my career, effective immediately," he stated.
The athlete mentioned his retirement is a tough decision, but he would not be doing justice to his team for the game he loves if he would not be able to put his body on the line. He also explained he would have preferred to play the game "forever," but rugby is a very physical and tough game that the injury-forced retirement just comes on time.
He then turned to Twitter after making his retirement announcement on the show. He posted the following on the social network site:
Sad to announce my retirement from the game I love and has given me so much, my family comes first and is everything. #OnToTheNextChapter ❤️
— Beau Ryan (@therealbeauryan) June 5, 2014
Fellow athletes and fans alike immediately posted their messages of support to Ryan. Both his former teammates from West Tigers and Cronulla Sharks mentioned about the great memories they had shared with Ryan. Former West tigers teammate Robbie Farah tweeted the following:
Many great memories together and a bloke I consider to be family and always will be. Thanks @therealbeauryan and congrats on your career. — robbie farah (@robbiefarah) June 5, 2014
Messages of admiration for being a great person and well wishes for his future ahead also flooded on the social media. NSWRL tweeted the following:
Wishing @therealbeauryan all the best for retirement. Tipping he will land on his feet though. A great character and person
— NSWRL (@NSWRL) June 5, 2014
Although Ryan will not play in future NRL matches anymore, his marketing and sponsorship roles at the Cronulla Sharks will remain. NRL Chief Executive Officer Dave Smith tweeted the following:
Sorry to see Beau Ryan retiring but glad he will remain part of our game. Good luck for the future — Dave Smith (@DaveSmithNRL) June 5, 2014
Beau Ryan debuted at the West Tigers during the round 16 of the 2007 NRL season and stayed with the team up to 2012. He moved on with Cronulla Sharks during the 2013 NRL season.
Ryan played a total of 126 NRL games and scored 53 tries during his 8 years of rugby career. He played 104 games with the West Tigers and 22 games with the Cronulla Sharks.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Rafael Nadal Set To Overtake Roger Federer Grand Slam Haul By 2017
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales