Beau Ryan Retires from NRL, Messages of Support Pour on Twitter
By Ma Evelyn Castino Quilas | June 6, 2014 3:09 PM EST
Messages of support pour on Twitter after Cronulla Sharks winger Beau Ryan announced his immediate retirement from the National Rugby League (NRL) team due to neck injury.
The 29-year-old former West Tigers star announced his retirement at The Footy Show. "After speaking with my family and the club doctor I've made the decision to end my career, effective immediately," he stated.
The athlete mentioned his retirement is a tough decision, but he would not be doing justice to his team for the game he loves if he would not be able to put his body on the line. He also explained he would have preferred to play the game "forever," but rugby is a very physical and tough game that the injury-forced retirement just comes on time.
He then turned to Twitter after making his retirement announcement on the show. He posted the following on the social network site:
Sad to announce my retirement from the game I love and has given me so much, my family comes first and is everything. #OnToTheNextChapter ❤️
— Beau Ryan (@therealbeauryan) June 5, 2014
Fellow athletes and fans alike immediately posted their messages of support to Ryan. Both his former teammates from West Tigers and Cronulla Sharks mentioned about the great memories they had shared with Ryan. Former West tigers teammate Robbie Farah tweeted the following:
Many great memories together and a bloke I consider to be family and always will be. Thanks @therealbeauryan and congrats on your career. — robbie farah (@robbiefarah) June 5, 2014
Messages of admiration for being a great person and well wishes for his future ahead also flooded on the social media. NSWRL tweeted the following:
Wishing @therealbeauryan all the best for retirement. Tipping he will land on his feet though. A great character and person
— NSWRL (@NSWRL) June 5, 2014
Although Ryan will not play in future NRL matches anymore, his marketing and sponsorship roles at the Cronulla Sharks will remain. NRL Chief Executive Officer Dave Smith tweeted the following:
Sorry to see Beau Ryan retiring but glad he will remain part of our game. Good luck for the future — Dave Smith (@DaveSmithNRL) June 5, 2014
Beau Ryan debuted at the West Tigers during the round 16 of the 2007 NRL season and stayed with the team up to 2012. He moved on with Cronulla Sharks during the 2013 NRL season.
Ryan played a total of 126 NRL games and scored 53 tries during his 8 years of rugby career. He played 104 games with the West Tigers and 22 games with the Cronulla Sharks.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Novak Djokovic Receives Peugeot 107 Pedal Car For His Newborn
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS