'Edge of Tomorrow': Tom Cruise Acclaimed by Movie Critics but Film Not Expected as Box Office Hit
By Ma Evelyn Castino Quilas | June 6, 2014 3:03 PM EST
Tom Cruise is acclaimed by movie critics for his best science-fiction performance on the "Edge of Tomorrow." But with $178 million budget to produce the movie, analysts expected that it will not be a huge hit in the box office.
Directed by Doug Liman, Tom Cruise plays the lead role as the cowardly officer in "Edge of Tomorrow" who was killed within minutes after being plummeted into a suicide mission after being covered with blood from alien creatures called Mimics. He was lopped into a time-repeating alien invasion and was forced to relive the same battle over and over again.
According to Associated Press critic Jake Coyle, Tom Cruise's action-packed persona is put into a quixotic blend of celebration and parody in the high concept of "Edge of Tomorrow." The critic stated that the selling point of time-shifting sci-fi thriller may indeed be seeing one of Hollywood's most troublesome icons being a real-life version of the video game "Contra."
CNET movie critic Rich Trenholm also stated that Tom Cruise's real acting is better than ever compared with his superhero-in-a-leather-jacket posing in the past movies "Jack Reacher", "Oblivion, and "The Mission: Impossible."
The Wrap critic Alonso Duralde said that Tom Cruise has a killer case of déjà vu but the familiarity in the science-fiction mash-up never gets in the way of the fun.
However, the intelligent, witty script, and so many good characters and character moments in the "Edge of Tomorrow" may not be enough to pull the movie ahead of the blockbuster smash.
The Variety reported that the "Edge of Tomorrow" scored $20 million international sales on its opening weekend. But it is still lackluster amount compared with the huge $178 million budget required to make the movie. This means that the movie needs to do a lot of business to cover up the production and marketing cost.
But with other huge movies being played in the cinemas in the moment, The "Edge of Tomorrow" is in for a tough competition ahead. "X-Men: Days of the Future Past" which was recently released in cinemas is in the reel. Angelina Jolie's "Maleficent" was just launched in the cinemas on the last weekend of May.
Then there is the film adaptation of John Green's international bestselling novel "The Fault in Our Stars" in which the June 6 release date in U.S. cinemas coincides with the "Edge of Tomorrow."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Orange is the New Black Season 3: Laura Prepon Hints Strain in Alex, Piper Relationship, New Actor Roped-in [Spoilers]
- The Big Bang Theory: Mayim Bialik Talks about Sheldon, Amy Kiss in Season 7 [KISS VIDEO]
- Queen Elizabeth and Kate Middleton Clash Again: Duchess Scared of Difficult Pregnancy, Adopting Second 'Royal' Baby - Reports
- True Blood Spoilers: Alcide Killed because Season 7 is Bill, Sookie’s Season
- Rob Kardashian's Ex-Girlfriend Adrienne Bailon FInally Removes Cheating Reality Star's Name from Her Butt
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8