'Edge of Tomorrow': Tom Cruise Acclaimed by Movie Critics but Film Not Expected as Box Office Hit
By Ma Evelyn Castino Quilas | June 6, 2014 3:03 PM EST
Tom Cruise is acclaimed by movie critics for his best science-fiction performance on the "Edge of Tomorrow." But with $178 million budget to produce the movie, analysts expected that it will not be a huge hit in the box office.
Directed by Doug Liman, Tom Cruise plays the lead role as the cowardly officer in "Edge of Tomorrow" who was killed within minutes after being plummeted into a suicide mission after being covered with blood from alien creatures called Mimics. He was lopped into a time-repeating alien invasion and was forced to relive the same battle over and over again.
According to Associated Press critic Jake Coyle, Tom Cruise's action-packed persona is put into a quixotic blend of celebration and parody in the high concept of "Edge of Tomorrow." The critic stated that the selling point of time-shifting sci-fi thriller may indeed be seeing one of Hollywood's most troublesome icons being a real-life version of the video game "Contra."
CNET movie critic Rich Trenholm also stated that Tom Cruise's real acting is better than ever compared with his superhero-in-a-leather-jacket posing in the past movies "Jack Reacher", "Oblivion, and "The Mission: Impossible."
The Wrap critic Alonso Duralde said that Tom Cruise has a killer case of déjà vu but the familiarity in the science-fiction mash-up never gets in the way of the fun.
However, the intelligent, witty script, and so many good characters and character moments in the "Edge of Tomorrow" may not be enough to pull the movie ahead of the blockbuster smash.
The Variety reported that the "Edge of Tomorrow" scored $20 million international sales on its opening weekend. But it is still lackluster amount compared with the huge $178 million budget required to make the movie. This means that the movie needs to do a lot of business to cover up the production and marketing cost.
But with other huge movies being played in the cinemas in the moment, The "Edge of Tomorrow" is in for a tough competition ahead. "X-Men: Days of the Future Past" which was recently released in cinemas is in the reel. Angelina Jolie's "Maleficent" was just launched in the cinemas on the last weekend of May.
Then there is the film adaptation of John Green's international bestselling novel "The Fault in Our Stars" in which the June 6 release date in U.S. cinemas coincides with the "Edge of Tomorrow."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jennifer Lawrence’s Nude Photos and Videos Leaked by 4Chan Hacker; Ariana Grande, Lea Michele, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Kate Upton’s Also Included
- Celebrities’ Leaked Nude Photos: Master-List Printed, Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian, Kate Upton, Jennifer Lawrence, Kaley Cuoco, Rihanna, More Names On It
- Nude Photos Leaked: Mary Elizabeth Winstead Says Nude Photos Hers, Faces Backlash, Takes Twitter Break
- ‘Bachelor In Paradise’ Spoilers: Find Out Whether AshLee Frazier And Graham Bunn Last Till The End; Meet The New Arrivals Of Episode 6
- ‘The Leftovers’: Episode 10 On Hold, Renewed For Season 2, Season 1 Finale Synopsis And Preview [VIDEO]
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How