'Edge of Tomorrow': Tom Cruise Acclaimed by Movie Critics but Film Not Expected as Box Office Hit
By Ma Evelyn Castino Quilas | June 6, 2014 3:03 PM EST
Tom Cruise is acclaimed by movie critics for his best science-fiction performance on the "Edge of Tomorrow." But with $178 million budget to produce the movie, analysts expected that it will not be a huge hit in the box office.
Directed by Doug Liman, Tom Cruise plays the lead role as the cowardly officer in "Edge of Tomorrow" who was killed within minutes after being plummeted into a suicide mission after being covered with blood from alien creatures called Mimics. He was lopped into a time-repeating alien invasion and was forced to relive the same battle over and over again.
According to Associated Press critic Jake Coyle, Tom Cruise's action-packed persona is put into a quixotic blend of celebration and parody in the high concept of "Edge of Tomorrow." The critic stated that the selling point of time-shifting sci-fi thriller may indeed be seeing one of Hollywood's most troublesome icons being a real-life version of the video game "Contra."
CNET movie critic Rich Trenholm also stated that Tom Cruise's real acting is better than ever compared with his superhero-in-a-leather-jacket posing in the past movies "Jack Reacher", "Oblivion, and "The Mission: Impossible."
The Wrap critic Alonso Duralde said that Tom Cruise has a killer case of déjà vu but the familiarity in the science-fiction mash-up never gets in the way of the fun.
However, the intelligent, witty script, and so many good characters and character moments in the "Edge of Tomorrow" may not be enough to pull the movie ahead of the blockbuster smash.
The Variety reported that the "Edge of Tomorrow" scored $20 million international sales on its opening weekend. But it is still lackluster amount compared with the huge $178 million budget required to make the movie. This means that the movie needs to do a lot of business to cover up the production and marketing cost.
But with other huge movies being played in the cinemas in the moment, The "Edge of Tomorrow" is in for a tough competition ahead. "X-Men: Days of the Future Past" which was recently released in cinemas is in the reel. Angelina Jolie's "Maleficent" was just launched in the cinemas on the last weekend of May.
Then there is the film adaptation of John Green's international bestselling novel "The Fault in Our Stars" in which the June 6 release date in U.S. cinemas coincides with the "Edge of Tomorrow."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions