'Edge of Tomorrow': Tom Cruise Acclaimed by Movie Critics but Film Not Expected as Box Office Hit
By Ma Evelyn Castino Quilas | June 6, 2014 3:03 PM EST
Tom Cruise is acclaimed by movie critics for his best science-fiction performance on the "Edge of Tomorrow." But with $178 million budget to produce the movie, analysts expected that it will not be a huge hit in the box office.
Directed by Doug Liman, Tom Cruise plays the lead role as the cowardly officer in "Edge of Tomorrow" who was killed within minutes after being plummeted into a suicide mission after being covered with blood from alien creatures called Mimics. He was lopped into a time-repeating alien invasion and was forced to relive the same battle over and over again.
According to Associated Press critic Jake Coyle, Tom Cruise's action-packed persona is put into a quixotic blend of celebration and parody in the high concept of "Edge of Tomorrow." The critic stated that the selling point of time-shifting sci-fi thriller may indeed be seeing one of Hollywood's most troublesome icons being a real-life version of the video game "Contra."
CNET movie critic Rich Trenholm also stated that Tom Cruise's real acting is better than ever compared with his superhero-in-a-leather-jacket posing in the past movies "Jack Reacher", "Oblivion, and "The Mission: Impossible."
The Wrap critic Alonso Duralde said that Tom Cruise has a killer case of déjà vu but the familiarity in the science-fiction mash-up never gets in the way of the fun.
However, the intelligent, witty script, and so many good characters and character moments in the "Edge of Tomorrow" may not be enough to pull the movie ahead of the blockbuster smash.
The Variety reported that the "Edge of Tomorrow" scored $20 million international sales on its opening weekend. But it is still lackluster amount compared with the huge $178 million budget required to make the movie. This means that the movie needs to do a lot of business to cover up the production and marketing cost.
But with other huge movies being played in the cinemas in the moment, The "Edge of Tomorrow" is in for a tough competition ahead. "X-Men: Days of the Future Past" which was recently released in cinemas is in the reel. Angelina Jolie's "Maleficent" was just launched in the cinemas on the last weekend of May.
Then there is the film adaptation of John Green's international bestselling novel "The Fault in Our Stars" in which the June 6 release date in U.S. cinemas coincides with the "Edge of Tomorrow."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Will Name Second Child Diana, Camilla Parker-Bowles Not Invited to Prince George’s Birthday - Reports
- Kanye West Abandons Kim Kardashian after 58 Days of Marriage – Reports
- Ian Somerhalder and Nina Dobrev Drama: Heartbroken The Vampire Diaries Actress Reacts to Nikki Reed Dating News—Report
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Things to Know About ‘Surprising, Explosive Ending’ of Andi Dorfman’s Season
- Selena Gomez's Mystery Man Identified as Businessman Tommy Chiabra, Singer Flirts and Shares Same Towel with Him -- Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC One E8 (Plastic Variant of HTC One M8) with 5-Inch Display, Dual-SIM, 801 Processor and 2 GB RAM to Hit New Markets Soon
- iPhone 6 Release Date in September 26 with Price Details and More Killer Features
- Apple iPad Mini Air: Three Fresh Features on the Smart Tablet to Wait for
- 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Release Date is Sept 26 after iOS 8 GM Public Debut on Sept 17 – Reports