Singing Nun Sister Cristina Scuccia Wins ‘The Voice’ Finale in Italy
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | June 6, 2014 2:12 PM EST
The young nun who stormed the Internet with her singing talent on the Italian version of The Voice became champion of the talent show. According to the 25-year-old, it was her expression of "the beauty of God."
A nun looks on as Pope Francis leads a meeting at the Church of Gethsemane in Jerusalem May 26, 2014. Pope Francis navigated the minefield of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and humbly bowed to kiss the hands of Holocaust survivors on Monday, the last day of a Mideast trip laden with bold personal gestures.
Sister Cristina Scuccia earlier became a singing sensation after her rendition of Alicia Keys's No One. The YouTube video of the rendition got over 50 million hits. She thanked God for her win. "My presence here is not up to me, it's thanks to the man upstairs!" she said, "I'm not here to start a career but because I want to impart a message."
Scuccia also said that it was Pope Francis' call for the Catholic Church to get closer to people that she was inspired by. She recited the Lord's Prayer thereafter, BBC reported. Scuccia accredited her popularity to a "thirst for joy, for love, for a message that is beautiful and pure" before the final on Thursday, June 5, 2014. She said that she would be happy to go back to singing with children in chapel.
The first time that judges were impressed with the singing skills of Scuccia was in March when she appeared in a blind audition. The judges were surprised to see a nun in her habit and a crucifix around the neck, singing her heart out on the stage. "I have a gift and I am giving it to you," she told the judges. Eventually, she became hugely popular in her Catholic country as well as around the world.
According to SBS, her competitor sang Stairway to Heaven in the finale. However, it was not enough to beat her performance. "I want Jesus to come in here!" the champion singer said, "My presence here is not up to me, it's thanks to the man upstairs!" Scuccia won a record contract with Universal. However, she indicated that she would not prefer having a musical career. "I'm not here to start a career, but because I want to impart a message," she said.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 19, 2014: Hope Needs To Decide If She Will Stay With Wyatt Or Go With Liam [WATCH VIDEO]
- The Pirate Bay Founder Peter Sunde’s Freedom: Hollywood People Oppose TPB Founder’s Imprisonment
- 'Dancing With The Stars' (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Week 2 Spoilers: Things To Expect; Find Out Which Choreographer Is Quitting
- 'Downton Abbey' Spoilers: 'Surprising New Stories' In Season 5, George Clooney's Cameo Appearance
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Sony Xperia E3 vs. Moto G (2014) – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown