Singing Nun Sister Cristina Scuccia Wins ‘The Voice’ Finale in Italy
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | June 6, 2014 2:12 PM EST
The young nun who stormed the Internet with her singing talent on the Italian version of The Voice became champion of the talent show. According to the 25-year-old, it was her expression of "the beauty of God."
A nun looks on as Pope Francis leads a meeting at the Church of Gethsemane in Jerusalem May 26, 2014. Pope Francis navigated the minefield of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and humbly bowed to kiss the hands of Holocaust survivors on Monday, the last day of a Mideast trip laden with bold personal gestures.
Sister Cristina Scuccia earlier became a singing sensation after her rendition of Alicia Keys's No One. The YouTube video of the rendition got over 50 million hits. She thanked God for her win. "My presence here is not up to me, it's thanks to the man upstairs!" she said, "I'm not here to start a career but because I want to impart a message."
Scuccia also said that it was Pope Francis' call for the Catholic Church to get closer to people that she was inspired by. She recited the Lord's Prayer thereafter, BBC reported. Scuccia accredited her popularity to a "thirst for joy, for love, for a message that is beautiful and pure" before the final on Thursday, June 5, 2014. She said that she would be happy to go back to singing with children in chapel.
The first time that judges were impressed with the singing skills of Scuccia was in March when she appeared in a blind audition. The judges were surprised to see a nun in her habit and a crucifix around the neck, singing her heart out on the stage. "I have a gift and I am giving it to you," she told the judges. Eventually, she became hugely popular in her Catholic country as well as around the world.
According to SBS, her competitor sang Stairway to Heaven in the finale. However, it was not enough to beat her performance. "I want Jesus to come in here!" the champion singer said, "My presence here is not up to me, it's thanks to the man upstairs!" Scuccia won a record contract with Universal. However, she indicated that she would not prefer having a musical career. "I'm not here to start a career, but because I want to impart a message," she said.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- This Is Why Japanese Princess Masako Attended First Palace Banquet After 11 Years
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 3-7, 2014: Hunter Tylo Comes Back To 'B&B' As Dr. Taylor Hamilton Hayes While Changes Are Being Made At Forrester Creations
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- Tom Cruise and Lindsay Lohan Not Likely Dating, Despite Reports
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery