Singing Nun Sister Cristina Scuccia Wins ‘The Voice’ Finale in Italy
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | June 6, 2014 2:12 PM EST
The young nun who stormed the Internet with her singing talent on the Italian version of The Voice became champion of the talent show. According to the 25-year-old, it was her expression of "the beauty of God."
A nun looks on as Pope Francis leads a meeting at the Church of Gethsemane in Jerusalem May 26, 2014. Pope Francis navigated the minefield of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and humbly bowed to kiss the hands of Holocaust survivors on Monday, the last day of a Mideast trip laden with bold personal gestures.
Sister Cristina Scuccia earlier became a singing sensation after her rendition of Alicia Keys's No One. The YouTube video of the rendition got over 50 million hits. She thanked God for her win. "My presence here is not up to me, it's thanks to the man upstairs!" she said, "I'm not here to start a career but because I want to impart a message."
Scuccia also said that it was Pope Francis' call for the Catholic Church to get closer to people that she was inspired by. She recited the Lord's Prayer thereafter, BBC reported. Scuccia accredited her popularity to a "thirst for joy, for love, for a message that is beautiful and pure" before the final on Thursday, June 5, 2014. She said that she would be happy to go back to singing with children in chapel.
The first time that judges were impressed with the singing skills of Scuccia was in March when she appeared in a blind audition. The judges were surprised to see a nun in her habit and a crucifix around the neck, singing her heart out on the stage. "I have a gift and I am giving it to you," she told the judges. Eventually, she became hugely popular in her Catholic country as well as around the world.
According to SBS, her competitor sang Stairway to Heaven in the finale. However, it was not enough to beat her performance. "I want Jesus to come in here!" the champion singer said, "My presence here is not up to me, it's thanks to the man upstairs!" Scuccia won a record contract with Universal. However, she indicated that she would not prefer having a musical career. "I'm not here to start a career, but because I want to impart a message," she said.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Filming Spoilers: Beardless Rick Grimes Seems To Be On The Set
- ‘Orange is the New Black Story’ Season 3 Update: New Corrections Officer To Be Introduced, Likely To Take Pornstache's Position At Litchfield Penitentiary
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 1, 2014: Hope Reveals Something To Wyatt And Katie Almost Loses A Loved One [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Bachelor Australia' Season 2 Preview: Someone Drops The L Bomb, Marriage Proposal In Season Finale
- “American Horror Story” Season 4 Spoilers: Emma Roberts' Maggie And Evan Peters’ Jimmy Darling To Be In A Romantic Relationship
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build