Singing Nun Sister Cristina Scuccia Wins ‘The Voice’ Finale in Italy
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | June 6, 2014 2:12 PM EST
The young nun who stormed the Internet with her singing talent on the Italian version of The Voice became champion of the talent show. According to the 25-year-old, it was her expression of "the beauty of God."
A nun looks on as Pope Francis leads a meeting at the Church of Gethsemane in Jerusalem May 26, 2014. Pope Francis navigated the minefield of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and humbly bowed to kiss the hands of Holocaust survivors on Monday, the last day of a Mideast trip laden with bold personal gestures.
Sister Cristina Scuccia earlier became a singing sensation after her rendition of Alicia Keys's No One. The YouTube video of the rendition got over 50 million hits. She thanked God for her win. "My presence here is not up to me, it's thanks to the man upstairs!" she said, "I'm not here to start a career but because I want to impart a message."
Scuccia also said that it was Pope Francis' call for the Catholic Church to get closer to people that she was inspired by. She recited the Lord's Prayer thereafter, BBC reported. Scuccia accredited her popularity to a "thirst for joy, for love, for a message that is beautiful and pure" before the final on Thursday, June 5, 2014. She said that she would be happy to go back to singing with children in chapel.
The first time that judges were impressed with the singing skills of Scuccia was in March when she appeared in a blind audition. The judges were surprised to see a nun in her habit and a crucifix around the neck, singing her heart out on the stage. "I have a gift and I am giving it to you," she told the judges. Eventually, she became hugely popular in her Catholic country as well as around the world.
According to SBS, her competitor sang Stairway to Heaven in the finale. However, it was not enough to beat her performance. "I want Jesus to come in here!" the champion singer said, "My presence here is not up to me, it's thanks to the man upstairs!" Scuccia won a record contract with Universal. However, she indicated that she would not prefer having a musical career. "I'm not here to start a career, but because I want to impart a message," she said.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jennifer Lawrence’s Nude Photos and Videos Leaked by 4Chan Hacker; Ariana Grande, Lea Michele, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Kate Upton’s Also Included
- Celebrities’ Leaked Nude Photos: Master-List Printed, Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian, Kate Upton, Jennifer Lawrence, Kaley Cuoco, Rihanna, More Names On It
- Nick Cannon–Mariah Carey Divorce Reports: Nick Dating Younger Woman
- Nude Photos Leaked: Mary Elizabeth Winstead Says Nude Photos Hers, Faces Backlash, Takes Twitter Break
- ‘Bachelor In Paradise’ Spoilers: Find Out Whether AshLee Frazier And Graham Bunn Last Till The End; Meet The New Arrivals Of Episode 6
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones