Singing Nun Sister Cristina Scuccia Wins ‘The Voice’ Finale in Italy
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | June 6, 2014 2:12 PM EST
The young nun who stormed the Internet with her singing talent on the Italian version of The Voice became champion of the talent show. According to the 25-year-old, it was her expression of "the beauty of God."
A nun looks on as Pope Francis leads a meeting at the Church of Gethsemane in Jerusalem May 26, 2014. Pope Francis navigated the minefield of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and humbly bowed to kiss the hands of Holocaust survivors on Monday, the last day of a Mideast trip laden with bold personal gestures.
Sister Cristina Scuccia earlier became a singing sensation after her rendition of Alicia Keys's No One. The YouTube video of the rendition got over 50 million hits. She thanked God for her win. "My presence here is not up to me, it's thanks to the man upstairs!" she said, "I'm not here to start a career but because I want to impart a message."
Scuccia also said that it was Pope Francis' call for the Catholic Church to get closer to people that she was inspired by. She recited the Lord's Prayer thereafter, BBC reported. Scuccia accredited her popularity to a "thirst for joy, for love, for a message that is beautiful and pure" before the final on Thursday, June 5, 2014. She said that she would be happy to go back to singing with children in chapel.
The first time that judges were impressed with the singing skills of Scuccia was in March when she appeared in a blind audition. The judges were surprised to see a nun in her habit and a crucifix around the neck, singing her heart out on the stage. "I have a gift and I am giving it to you," she told the judges. Eventually, she became hugely popular in her Catholic country as well as around the world.
According to SBS, her competitor sang Stairway to Heaven in the finale. However, it was not enough to beat her performance. "I want Jesus to come in here!" the champion singer said, "My presence here is not up to me, it's thanks to the man upstairs!" Scuccia won a record contract with Universal. However, she indicated that she would not prefer having a musical career. "I'm not here to start a career, but because I want to impart a message," she said.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28