Pope Francis Fires Entire Board of Financial Information Authority
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 6, 2014 1:10 PM EST
In yet another way of displaying his unorthodox method of running the Roman Catholic Church and the Vatican bureaucracy, Pope Francis fired on Thursday the entire board of the Financial Information Authority (FIA), reports News.com.au.
Pope Francis talks to reporters aboard the papal flight on his way back to the Vatican from Jerusalem May 26, 2014. REUTERS/Andrew Medichini
FIA was created in 2010 to supervise and regulate the Vatican's financial activities and share financial information with other countries to comply with international anti-money laundering regulations.
The pontiff kicked out the all-Italian board of FIA which had repeated clashes with the agency's director, Rene Bruelhart, who came in 2012. The board complained that Bruelhart, a Swiss anti-money-laundering expert, kept them in the dark about FIA's activities.
The clashes led to the resignation of FIA President Cardinal Attilio Nicora in early 2014.
There was also a potential conflict of interest in the case of former board member Giuseppe Dalla Torre as president of the Vatican Tribunal since the FIA forwards suspected cases of financial wrongdoings to the tribunal's prosecutors for further probe.
The new FIA board members are from Italy, Switzerland, Singapore and the U.S. The Pope also appointed on the same day as Bruelhart's deputy Tommasso Di Ruzza. He played a major role in revising in 2012 the anti-money laundering law of the Vatican to follow international regulations and is a respected international jurist.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Toyota Tops World Sales of Cars, Sells Over 5K Million Vehicles in First Half of 2014
- New Malaysia Airlines Caught in Adelaide Airport Latest Scare
- Man Swindles Apple for $309,768 in 16 States
- Air New Zealand Pays $1000 to NZ9 Passengers After Three-Night Delay
- Formula 1 Chief Sues Google over Sex Party Pictures
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World