20 Features of Apple's Latest Developer OS Revealed at WWDC 2014
By Karla Danica Figuerres | June 6, 2014 8:39 AM EST
WWDC is an event for developers. At its opening keynote, Apple previewed iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite to the whole world but developers are the only ones who get to check out the beta version of the software until an open beta program is released.
A woman holds her new Apple iPhone 5S after buying it at an Apple Store at Tokyo's Ginza shopping district September 20, 2013.
This year's WWDC has had its share of surprises, and it is not really hard to tell why developers are salivating: the Cupertino tech giant is allowing more flexibility about what developers can grow within its tech jungle. For the first time, third-party onscreen keyboards will join the iOS 8, widgets are to be featured on the notification centre, and media apps will gain more access to the camera of the device, not to mention that Apple debuted its new programming language, Swift.
Similar to the previous iOS versions before the new iOS 8, Apple was able to show some of the upcoming features of the iOS 8 update at this year's WWDC keynote, but buried inside the newest software of Apple will be plenty of other cool features Apple did not mention during the event. On the other hand, Apple listed a number of the upcoming iOS 8 features it didn't have time to discuss at length on a slide that was briefly revealed at the end of the presentation.
Here are the new 20 iOS 8 features that Apple failed to discuss during the iOS 8 announcement, but are nonetheless included in the upcoming software release, according to Macworld.com.
1. Braille Keyboard for direct 6 dot braille input
2. Private browsing per tab in Safari
3. Instant burst camera mode
4. Wi-Fi calling support
5. 'Hey, Siri' hotword
6. iBooks built into iOS 8
7. Separate focus and exposure in Camera
8. Flyover city tours
9. Panoramic photos on iPad
10. DuckDuckGo support in Safari
11. In Case of Emergency Card
12. Battery usage by app
13. Travel time notifications
14. iTunes content purchases with Siri
15. 24 new dictation languages
16. Rich text editing in Notes
17. Touch ID to exit Guided Access
18. Tips app
19. Speak screen support
20. FaceTime call waiting
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 to Feature Retina Scanner Challenging iPad Retina and iPhone 6
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs. OnePlus One—Specifications, Features, Release Date and Price Showdown
- These 2 Questions Reveal if You Unwittingly Abuse Alcohol
- Jennifer Lopez and Her Wild 45th Birthday Party: How JLo’s Life-Size Birthday Cake from SamiCakes Boutique Was Made
- Blake Griffin’s Back Injury Is the Reason for His Withdrawal from Team U.S.A.
- Supernatural Season 10 Spoilers: Metatron Capable of Saving Castiel's Fading Grace
- Anderson Silva To Test the Octagon Anew After Freak Leg Injury, To Fight Nick Diaz in 2015