20 Features of Apple's Latest Developer OS Revealed at WWDC 2014
By Karla Danica Figuerres | June 6, 2014 8:39 AM EST
WWDC is an event for developers. At its opening keynote, Apple previewed iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite to the whole world but developers are the only ones who get to check out the beta version of the software until an open beta program is released.
A woman holds her new Apple iPhone 5S after buying it at an Apple Store at Tokyo's Ginza shopping district September 20, 2013.
This year's WWDC has had its share of surprises, and it is not really hard to tell why developers are salivating: the Cupertino tech giant is allowing more flexibility about what developers can grow within its tech jungle. For the first time, third-party onscreen keyboards will join the iOS 8, widgets are to be featured on the notification centre, and media apps will gain more access to the camera of the device, not to mention that Apple debuted its new programming language, Swift.
Similar to the previous iOS versions before the new iOS 8, Apple was able to show some of the upcoming features of the iOS 8 update at this year's WWDC keynote, but buried inside the newest software of Apple will be plenty of other cool features Apple did not mention during the event. On the other hand, Apple listed a number of the upcoming iOS 8 features it didn't have time to discuss at length on a slide that was briefly revealed at the end of the presentation.
Here are the new 20 iOS 8 features that Apple failed to discuss during the iOS 8 announcement, but are nonetheless included in the upcoming software release, according to Macworld.com.
1. Braille Keyboard for direct 6 dot braille input
2. Private browsing per tab in Safari
3. Instant burst camera mode
4. Wi-Fi calling support
5. 'Hey, Siri' hotword
6. iBooks built into iOS 8
7. Separate focus and exposure in Camera
8. Flyover city tours
9. Panoramic photos on iPad
10. DuckDuckGo support in Safari
11. In Case of Emergency Card
12. Battery usage by app
13. Travel time notifications
14. iTunes content purchases with Siri
15. 24 new dictation languages
16. Rich text editing in Notes
17. Touch ID to exit Guided Access
18. Tips app
19. Speak screen support
20. FaceTime call waiting
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Microsoft Band Wearable Gadget At $199 Is A Sell-Out
- 6 Big Reasons iPhone 6 Plus is Must-Have Black Friday, Christmas 2014 Buy
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- NATO To Russia: 'Pull Back Your Troops'