Grown-up Women 'Drink More' Compared to Younger Age Group
By Athena Yenko | June 5, 2014 3:59 PM EST
Grown-up women, aged between 45 and 59, consume more alcohol than the younger age group. This was according to the discovery of Queensland Student Hanna Watling from Queensland University of Technology. She added they probably drink alcohol more often than their daughters and sons.
Thirteen percent of the grown-up women consume an average of two glasses of wine nightly. These women are drinking without any intention of getting drunk. Drinking had become a casual and daily activity while watching television or having dinner at home, according to Watling.
"As women age we are seeing a change in their drinking patterns. Heavy drinking is more common among young women in their late teens and 20s, but as they age women tend to abandon binge drinking for less heavy but more frequent levels of alcohol consumption. Alcohol also becomes a way of dealing with the stresses of busy lives such as familyworries, work pressures or social commitments," Watling said.
As a result, women of this age group become regular drinkers and expose themselves to severe health risk. "What we are concerned about is that those women, who drink moderately but often, may end up consuming a larger volume of alcohol than those who drink heavily but less frequently."
After her preliminary research, Watling wants know the reason behind middle-aged women becoming more attached to alcohol through an online survey.
"We're hoping to understand a bit more about what's going on for this particular group of drinkers and why it is they tend to turn to alcohol in this sort of way. What we're doing we're launching this survey and we're asking for women who are between 45 and 59-years-old and who have been drinking at least once in the past month to take part. When we understand more about what's going on for this particular group of drinkers we might be able to develop interventions that are tailored to their specific needs and their specific circumstances," Watling explained.
Watling is encouraging all women ages 45 to 59 to participate in the online survey, particularly those who had consume alcohol in the past 30 days.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Maria Menounos Lost 40 Pounds; She Follows a Low Carb Vegetarian Diet, Her Weight Loss and Fitness Secrets Revealed
- 'Django Unchained' Actress Danielle Watts Mistaken As Prostitute And Arrested; Accused Police of Racism
- Airborne Version of Ebola Virus Could Wipe Out 1.2 Million; Aussie Doctor Appeals For Help
- A Wife's Happiness is More Crucial Than Her Husband's For a Long Lasting, Happy Marriage, Finds Study
- Kim Kardashian's Pregnancy Glow Returns; Rumour Mill Suggests That Kim Is Pregnant
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date