Jonah Hill Apologizes For Gay Slur On 'The Tonight Show' From 'The Howard Stern' Show, Twitter Fans Unimpressed
By Tanya Diente | June 5, 2014 3:42 PM EST
Jonah Hill seems to be on an apology tour as he goes from "The Howard Stern Show" to "The Tonight Show" for his apology on his recent scandal - using a gay slur with a paparazzo.
Jonah Hill accepts the award for best comedic performance for "The Wolf of Wall Street" on stage AS Seth MacFarlane and Amanda Seyfried watch (R) at the 2014 MTV Movie Awards in Los Angeles, California April 13, 2014.
In the early hours of June 3, TMZ posted a video showing Jonah Hill tell a paparazzo to "s*** my d***, f****t!" after the latter kept pestering him. The video went viral and Hill has since expressed his apology for using the gay slur in "The Howard Stern Show" and "The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon."
Jonah Hill's first apology was in the "Howard Stern Show" on that same Tuesday, reports Chron. On the show, Hill acknowledged the gay slur he said is "a disgusting word" and that he shouldn't have said it. Being a gay-rights activist, he said the "word does not at all reflect" how he feels about any group of people." On Nov. 23, Hill protested against Russia's anti-gay laws by tweeting a photo of himself wearing a t-shirt that read "Love Conquers Hate" in Russian, reports Hollywood Life. He later explained the photo to E! saying "I have tons of gay friends, gay family members. I support anybody doing whatever they want to do to be who they are."
Watch Jonah Hill on "The Howard Stern Show" below
Jonah Hill then went on to explain in "The Howard Stern Show" what brought on the gay slur. He said he had been harassed by the photographer and claimed that the latter had said "hurtful things" about his family. Hill also mentioned that he happened to be spending that whole day with a gay friend who's getting married soon.
Not one to pass the chance to give an apology, later on that same day, Jonah Hill sat down with Jimmy Fallon on "The Tonight Show" to give an emotional apology to his fans and the LGBT community.
Variety reports that upon sitting down, Hill immediately started on his apology, which at first made the audience laugh and stopped when he said it was something serious. The audience took his serious tone and Hill continued on to explain, much like in "The Howard Stern Show," why he had said the gay slur. Jonah Hill said the paparazzo verbally attacked him and his family with insults and in response said "the most hurtful word I could think of at that moment."
"I didn't mean this in the sense of the word, I didn't mean it in a homophobic way," he said as his voice began to crack. "[But] I think that doesn't matter, how you mean things doesn't matter. Words have weight and meaning. The word I chose was grotesque and no one deserves to say or hear words like that," Hill explained.
The 30-year old actor also gave his apology to members of the LGBT community, to which he is a supporter, saying he was sorry for letting down every member of the community.
"My heart's broken and I am genuinely and deeply sorry to anyone who has ever been affected by that term in their life. "I know I'm usually funny and stuff but this wasn't funny, it was stupid, and I deserve the shit I'm going to get for it," he concluded.
Watch Jonah Hill on "The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon" below for the full apology
Jonah Hill may have publicly expressed his apology over using the gay slur but people are not really impressed, reports Hollywoodlife. His apology seems insincere, especially when he said that he has lots of gay friends, which is normally the excuse people used when they are caught using a gay slur.
Here's what people have been saying on Twitter regarding Jonah Hill's apology.
ah yes, the classic 'i have gay friends' excuse for being a shithead who uses slurs. jonah hill you are a scumbag
— lance (@lovelessLP) June 3, 2014
"Jonah Hill Apologizes, Is "Heartbroken"' Over His Use Of Gay Slur" if u use it in anger it means it's part of ur vernacular. FOH with that! — Retha (@OodleOfNoodle) June 3, 2014
i'm so glad we have "gay rights activists" like Jonah Hill
— Colin (@colintimothy) June 3, 2014
Ugh, Jonah Hill. Do better. — Luci (@LuciWithAnI) June 3, 2014
Source:YouTube/Pretty Good Videos
Source:YouTube/ The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- 'Sylvester Stallone Dies In Horrible Car Accident’ Death Hoax Goes Viral
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoiler: Revelation Of Reason Why Penny, Leonard ‘Not’ Getting Married Soon
- Emmy Awards 2014: Where To Watch Live Online, Top Nominations [VIDEO]
- 'The Bachelorette' Update: Andi Dorfman And Josh Murray To Setup Career In Hollywood- Reports
- 'Castle' Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic's Kate Beckett to Rediscover Nathan Fillion's Rick Castle; 'Derrick Storm' Coming to ABC [VIDEO]
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Trending: Ice Bucket Challenge Replaced By Rubble Bucket Challenge By People Of Gaza
- US, Syria to Work Together to Vaporise ISIS
- European Central Bank Advises Action to Boost Demand and Employment In EU