Jonah Hill Apologizes For Gay Slur On 'The Tonight Show' From 'The Howard Stern' Show, Twitter Fans Unimpressed
By Tanya Diente | June 5, 2014 3:42 PM EST
Jonah Hill seems to be on an apology tour as he goes from "The Howard Stern Show" to "The Tonight Show" for his apology on his recent scandal - using a gay slur with a paparazzo.
Jonah Hill accepts the award for best comedic performance for "The Wolf of Wall Street" on stage AS Seth MacFarlane and Amanda Seyfried watch (R) at the 2014 MTV Movie Awards in Los Angeles, California April 13, 2014.
In the early hours of June 3, TMZ posted a video showing Jonah Hill tell a paparazzo to "s*** my d***, f****t!" after the latter kept pestering him. The video went viral and Hill has since expressed his apology for using the gay slur in "The Howard Stern Show" and "The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon."
Jonah Hill's first apology was in the "Howard Stern Show" on that same Tuesday, reports Chron. On the show, Hill acknowledged the gay slur he said is "a disgusting word" and that he shouldn't have said it. Being a gay-rights activist, he said the "word does not at all reflect" how he feels about any group of people." On Nov. 23, Hill protested against Russia's anti-gay laws by tweeting a photo of himself wearing a t-shirt that read "Love Conquers Hate" in Russian, reports Hollywood Life. He later explained the photo to E! saying "I have tons of gay friends, gay family members. I support anybody doing whatever they want to do to be who they are."
Watch Jonah Hill on "The Howard Stern Show" below
Jonah Hill then went on to explain in "The Howard Stern Show" what brought on the gay slur. He said he had been harassed by the photographer and claimed that the latter had said "hurtful things" about his family. Hill also mentioned that he happened to be spending that whole day with a gay friend who's getting married soon.
Not one to pass the chance to give an apology, later on that same day, Jonah Hill sat down with Jimmy Fallon on "The Tonight Show" to give an emotional apology to his fans and the LGBT community.
Variety reports that upon sitting down, Hill immediately started on his apology, which at first made the audience laugh and stopped when he said it was something serious. The audience took his serious tone and Hill continued on to explain, much like in "The Howard Stern Show," why he had said the gay slur. Jonah Hill said the paparazzo verbally attacked him and his family with insults and in response said "the most hurtful word I could think of at that moment."
"I didn't mean this in the sense of the word, I didn't mean it in a homophobic way," he said as his voice began to crack. "[But] I think that doesn't matter, how you mean things doesn't matter. Words have weight and meaning. The word I chose was grotesque and no one deserves to say or hear words like that," Hill explained.
The 30-year old actor also gave his apology to members of the LGBT community, to which he is a supporter, saying he was sorry for letting down every member of the community.
"My heart's broken and I am genuinely and deeply sorry to anyone who has ever been affected by that term in their life. "I know I'm usually funny and stuff but this wasn't funny, it was stupid, and I deserve the shit I'm going to get for it," he concluded.
Watch Jonah Hill on "The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon" below for the full apology
Jonah Hill may have publicly expressed his apology over using the gay slur but people are not really impressed, reports Hollywoodlife. His apology seems insincere, especially when he said that he has lots of gay friends, which is normally the excuse people used when they are caught using a gay slur.
Here's what people have been saying on Twitter regarding Jonah Hill's apology.
ah yes, the classic 'i have gay friends' excuse for being a shithead who uses slurs. jonah hill you are a scumbag
— lance (@lovelessLP) June 3, 2014
"Jonah Hill Apologizes, Is "Heartbroken"' Over His Use Of Gay Slur" if u use it in anger it means it's part of ur vernacular. FOH with that! — Retha (@OodleOfNoodle) June 3, 2014
i'm so glad we have "gay rights activists" like Jonah Hill
— Colin (@colintimothy) June 3, 2014
Ugh, Jonah Hill. Do better. — Luci (@LuciWithAnI) June 3, 2014
Source:YouTube/Pretty Good Videos
Source:YouTube/ The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 19, 2014: Hope Needs To Decide If She Will Stay With Wyatt Or Go With Liam [WATCH VIDEO]
- The Pirate Bay Founder Peter Sunde’s Freedom: Hollywood People Oppose TPB Founder’s Imprisonment
- The Bachelor Australia’ Season 2 Spoilers: Curly Hair Bachelorette’s Exit In Episode 16, Blake Talks About Laurina And Why He Rubbed His Eye
- 'Dancing With The Stars' (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Week 2 Spoilers: Things To Expect; Find Out Which Choreographer Is Quitting
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Google Now v. Siri v. Cortana – Comparison Of The Three Leading Virtual Assistants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Sony Xperia E3 vs. Moto G (2014) – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown